Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
9 games or nothing - recent history tells us if we are not in the pack come December our season tends to be over and the players put their slippers on.

We lose to Leeds for example and we could end up around 8th-10th with the feeling of another average season upon us.
cheers up mate. We won yesterday

Hi Guys, Leeds fan here.

Nice to see you're so confident against us - mood on our side is that we're also pretty confident so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

I think the two results before Arsenal distorted how a lot of people were seeing us. Leicester we got beat fair and square, although the margin was a tad misleading looking at the xG. Palace was simply a '[Poor language removed] happens' day - Dann's header deflects off both Koch & the bar, Bamford's 1st disallowed, Eze cracks one in from 30 yards off the bar and a freak deflection off Costa. We went in 3-1 down at HT with Palace having created 0.32xG.

Arsenal we were well on top against 11, as soon as they went down to 10 they gave up on attacking and parked the bus. 3 hits of the woodwork that (unlike Palace's a week prior) didn't go our way and two bad misses from Ayling and Klich, plus some good stops from Leno. A game we should have won with better finishing, which was our Achilles Heel last year in the EFL.

Our team selection is a bit uncertain. Alioski came in at LB for Arsenal, with Stuart Dallas moving to CM. Both performed well so who you drop is a tough choice. Rodrigo (our usual CAM) will have had another week's Covid recovery so I'd expect Bielsa will want him to start, and Hernandez should be fit enough for the bench.

Bielsa always likes to have an extra man at the back so if you're going 4-4-2 with Rodriguez on the right, I'd expect us to line up in a 3-3-1-3. I'd expect Dallas to be given the job of marking Rodriguez - he's done a similar job on other 10s e.g. Eze for QPR, Pereira for WBA.

As has been said elsewhere, I'd expect us to try and attack and dominate the ball from the first minute. We tend to use the wings to overload before cutting back into the penalty area, with the Dallas/Harrison/Rodrigo and Ayling/Raphinha/Klich triangles being key for interplay on the edge of the box.

My best guess at our side to start the game will be:

(3-3-1-3)
1. Illan Meslier
5. Robin Koch
23. Kalvin Phillips
6. Liam Cooper (c)
2. Luke Ayling
43. Mateusz Klich
15. Stuart Dallas
20. Rodrigo
18. Raphinha
9. Patrick Bamford
22. Jack Harrison

or

(4-1-4-1)

1. Illan Meslier
2. Luke Ayling
5. Robin Koch
6. Liam Cooper
15. Stuart Dallas
23. Kalvin Phillips
18. Raphinha
43. Mateusz Klich
20. Rodrigo
22. Jack Harrison
9. Patrick Bamford

Subs: 13. Kiko Casilla, 7. Ian Poveda, 10. Gianni Alioski, 11. Tyler Roberts, 17. Helder Costa, 19. Pablo Hernandez, 21. Pascal Struijk
Not sure on that!

Welcome, btw.

As a Yorkshire blue, I'd love to say it's good to have you guys back but, unfortunately, I now have to put up with my mates revelling in the fact you're semi-relevant again ;)

You have a strong team with some real gems. Raphinia is exactly the type of player Everton need, for example.

I think both sides have the capability to hurt each other.

The way Leeds attack, with so many men going forward, will really pin us back if we're not careful, and defensively we have been all at sea recently.

Conversely, with Richarlison back, as we saw in the Merseyside derby we have more than enough to hit even the best teams where it hurts, and Leeds' defence is definitely the weakest aspect (though getting the better of Phillips will be crucial to this I feel).

Hi Guys, Leeds fan here.

Nice to see you're so confident against us - mood on our side is that we're also pretty confident so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

I think the two results before Arsenal distorted how a lot of people were seeing us. Leicester we got beat fair and square, although the margin was a tad misleading looking at the xG. Palace was simply a '[Poor language removed] happens' day - Dann's header deflects off both Koch & the bar, Bamford's 1st disallowed, Eze cracks one in from 30 yards off the bar and a freak deflection off Costa. We went in 3-1 down at HT with Palace having created 0.32xG.

Arsenal we were well on top against 11, as soon as they went down to 10 they gave up on attacking and parked the bus. 3 hits of the woodwork that (unlike Palace's a week prior) didn't go our way and two bad misses from Ayling and Klich, plus some good stops from Leno. A game we should have won with better finishing, which was our Achilles Heel last year in the EFL.

Our team selection is a bit uncertain. Alioski came in at LB for Arsenal, with Stuart Dallas moving to CM. Both performed well so who you drop is a tough choice. Rodrigo (our usual CAM) will have had another week's Covid recovery so I'd expect Bielsa will want him to start, and Hernandez should be fit enough for the bench.

Bielsa always likes to have an extra man at the back so if you're going 4-4-2 with Rodriguez on the right, I'd expect us to line up in a 3-3-1-3. I'd expect Dallas to be given the job of marking Rodriguez - he's done a similar job on other 10s e.g. Eze for QPR, Pereira for WBA.

As has been said elsewhere, I'd expect us to try and attack and dominate the ball from the first minute. We tend to use the wings to overload before cutting back into the penalty area, with the Dallas/Harrison/Rodrigo and Ayling/Raphinha/Klich triangles being key for interplay on the edge of the box.

(3-3-1-3)
1. Illan Meslier
5. Robin Koch
23. Kalvin Phillips
6. Liam Cooper (c)
2. Luke Ayling
43. Mateusz Klich
15. Stuart Dallas
20. Rodrigo
18. Raphinha
9. Patrick Bamford
22. Jack Harrison

or

(4-1-4-1)

1. Illan Meslier
2. Luke Ayling
5. Robin Koch
6. Liam Cooper
15. Stuart Dallas
23. Kalvin Phillips
18. Raphinha
43. Mateusz Klich
20. Rodrigo
22. Jack Harrison
9. Patrick Bamford

Subs: 13. Kiko Casilla, 7. Ian Poveda, 10. Gianni Alioski, 11. Tyler Roberts, 17. Helder Costa, 19. Pablo Hernandez, 21. Pascal Struijk

Unsurprising, your lot genuinely thought you’d be title contenders this season. More delusional than the Geordies.

Think we’ll need to go 4 in the back due to their pace / pressing

GK
Coleman Holgate Keane Digne
Iwobl Allan Doucoure Richy
Hanez
DCL

dangerous game if we slack off like we did against fulham. Leeds can beat anyone and lose by three to anyone at the same time. we both attack and leak goals. It will be very entertaining and stressful to watch.

I had it in my head for some reason that you may have gone with Phillips on Rodriguez.

Phillips is our usual DM but he's not the most athletic player. For someone slower who relies on trickery (like Grealish when he was playing 10 for Villa) sure. Against someone faster, usually Dallas. Also means that when he does win the ball back deep, he's in the right (central) channel to feed the ball forward and then break to support the attack.

The alternative to the team I posted above is that Bielsa just doesn't bring Rodrigo back in, and leaves Dallas in with him & Klich playing as two 8s, meaning Harrison & Raphinha would push further forward to support Bamford, turning the 4-1-4-1 into more of a 4-3-3

Phillips is our usual DM but he's not the most athletic player. For someone slower who relies on trickery (like Grealish when he was playing 10 for Villa) sure. Against someone faster, usually Dallas. Also means that when he does win the ball back deep, he's in the right (central) channel to feed the ball forward and then break to support the attack.

The alternative to the team I posted above is that Bielsa just doesn't bring Rodrigo back in, and leaves Dallas in with him & Klich playing as two 8s, meaning Harrison & Raphinha would push further forward to support Bamford, turning the 4-1-4-1 into more of a 4-3-3

I said it the other day on here mate, this on paper looks like a 'you score four, we'll score five" games. Probably end up 0-0!

Hi Guys, Leeds fan here.

(3-3-1-3)
1. Illan Meslier
5. Robin Koch
23. Kalvin Phillips
6. Liam Cooper (c)
2. Luke Ayling
43. Mateusz Klich
15. Stuart Dallas
20. Rodrigo
18. Raphinha
9. Patrick Bamford
22. Jack Harrison

or

(4-1-4-1)

1. Illan Meslier
2. Luke Ayling
5. Robin Koch
6. Liam Cooper
15. Stuart Dallas
23. Kalvin Phillips
18. Raphinha
43. Mateusz Klich
20. Rodrigo
22. Jack Harrison
9. Patrick Bamford

Judging by the game Eze had against you for Palace I would imagine Rodriguez is looking forward to being marked by Dallas.
Whilst Eze has real potential Rodriguez is on another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.