2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norwich fans all said he made several mistakes last year which led to goals. Think this will always happen with young defenders to be fair, reserving judgement until he's had time to properly settle in. It's the most difficult position to play in during a very difficult time period.

It might be wishful thinking but how nice would a back 3 of Godfrey - Holgate - Branthwaite be if they all progressed well.

I still would have sooner spent the money elsewhere, but he seems to have the makings of a good player.

I like those Lescott-style bursts that he makes into the opposition half.

I thought he was very good yesterday. Its funny as I watched that Fofana yesterday and he really struggled against Mane, whereas I thought Godfrey dealt with him well. Likewise, I thought he kept Lookman quiet yesterday.

The penalty is the big ommission from yesterdays game. It was a rash tackle, but the sort of tackle you make when you are under the cosh for a prolonged period and you panic as a defender, rather just keep doing the basics. It'sa blot on the copy book, but yesterday our defenders were heavily under the cosh for large periods of that game.

I quite like him, and I quite like him in a 3 as well. I want to get behind Mina, but I do wonder if Keane flanked by Holgate/Godfrey may be the way to go for us.

I thought he was very good yesterday. Its funny as I watched that Fofana yesterday and he really struggled against Mane, whereas I thought Godfrey dealt with him well. Likewise, I thought he kept Lookman quiet yesterday.

The penalty is the big ommission from yesterdays game. It was a rash tackle, but the sort of tackle you make when you are under the cosh for a prolonged period and you panic as a defender, rather just keep doing the basics. It'sa blot on the copy book, but yesterday our defenders were heavily under the cosh for large periods of that game.

I quite like him, and I quite like him in a 3 as well. I want to get behind Mina, but I do wonder if Keane flanked by Holgate/Godfrey may be the way to go for us.
He looks to me like he’s lacking confidence or should I say more scared of losing the ball and playing it safe. I suppose he’s played out of position in both of his starts so it’s not the best way to impose yourself on the team. Think he could be the perfect partner for Keane even ahead of Holgate.

That was some comical defensive display by Fofana yesterday. The kid didn't know what day it was, let alone what position he was playing

Agree with that, Godfrey, Holgate either side of Keane, gives us the pace we've been lacking at the back.
Also, I know it's early days, one game, but I was really impressed with Iwobi as a right wing back, he has the pa ce and athleticism to do it I feel And also gives license for Digne to bomb forward on the other wing. Best I've seen Iwobi play in a blue shirt yesterday.

Agree with that, Godfrey, Holgate either side of Keane, gives us the pace we've been lacking at the back.
Also, I know it's early days, one game, but I was really impressed with Iwobi as a right wing back, he has the pa ce and athleticism to do it I feel And also gives license for Digne to bomb forward on the other wing. Best I've seen Iwobi play in a blue shirt yesterday.

Iwobi seemed to me to like having space in front of him to run into.

Iwobi seemed to me to like having space in front of him to run into.
That seems to be the consensus. One swallow doesn't make a summer, and all that, but he looked outstanding yesterday. The run for DCLs goal was phenomenal.

I'd definitely like to see the formation tried out a few more times, albeit ideally with Holgate in for Mina. I love Big Yerry, but he's lost the plot recently. Plus, having a couple of mobile CBs who can pass will hopefully alleviate some of the pressure on the CMs to sit too deep, and we can see some of that saucy link-up play we so enjoyed early in the season.

What worries me is Holgate started to turn it around somewhere in the area of his 100th first team appearance. Godfrey is already at 150 and looks a lot more raw. Now he is younger so that gives some added hope.
He’s nowhere near 150 appearances by my maths. Apart from last season he’s appeared in the lower leagues and had played only 30 PL appearances before joining us , hardly surprising he looks raw at times at 22.
For me he falls into Brands criteria of “ young player signed for the future that we can develop” , but you don’t pay that amount of money without expecting him to be also capable of being a squad player for us and playing in the first team. We haven’t seen enough of him to know if he’s part of the solution to our defensive woes, but I’m hoping that Carlo can get the best out of him this season.

I think if we continue to play a back 5 the three CB’s could/ should be Keane in the middle with Godfrey & Holgate either side of him which provide us the pace needed

playing both Mina & Keane will always be an issue as neither have pace or turn quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.