Everton Youth Teams Thread

I'm not sure how starting an Oumar Niasse over an available U18's striker isn't evidence Unsworth goes for the wins more than development but you are Mr Disputatious so no real surprises you're chiming in.
As has been said numerous times, that isn't evidence that it's Unsworth making the decision. But you're Mr I hate being challenged even when it's extraordinarily polite and believe that anyone who disagrees with me is doing so because they hate me rather than just having a different opinion, so there's no surprise you're whining again.

Everton u23s beat Chelsea u23s 2-0 and move from 9th to 7th with there 1st win in 4 league games [Simms and Onyango with 2nd half goals], Everton u23s now play away to 2nd bottom Arsenal u23s a week friday at 7pm, and that game is NOT live anywhere unless Everton go and show it from London lol, Arsenal only got there 1st league win 2 days ago but it was a big one 6-0 away to Blackburn
This is now a 1pm kick off tomorrow and if you become a digital member via Everton you can listen to Commentary lol [still nothing via arsenal who usually never show their games] . Everton still wont learn will they by going and showing every game home or away free, never mind been blackmailed into signing up for something to get something that is never on despite been told that it will be, as Above Arsenal only got their 1st win last game but a win for Everton will move them from 7th to 3rd

Playing experienced professionals with the reserves is nothing new, it helps keep the seasoned player fit or helps them recover from injury while the younger players learn from playing alongside experience.
It is a very sensible model to follow.
I understand people wanting a team of young lads playing but it is all about what they learn from the game.

...to be fair, I think that’s more a case for the old Central League approach where youngsters played alongside and against veteran professionals.

The often heard criticism for Unsworth is him playing older graduates coming to the end of their contracts who clearly have no future at the club.

I'm not sure how starting an Oumar Niasse over an available U18's striker isn't evidence Unsworth goes for the wins more than development but you are Mr Disputatious so no real surprises you're chiming in.
Unless Unsworth has autocratic control over U23 affairs I would echo previous posters and suggest that the manager and Brands would have reasons why they might want to see a Niasse or a Pennington given some playing time. I know that this has been the case in the past with Besic.

Playing experienced professionals with the reserves is nothing new, it helps keep the seasoned player fit or helps them recover from injury while the younger players learn from playing alongside experience.
It is a very sensible model to follow.
I understand people wanting a team of young lads playing but it is all about what they learn from the game.
There’s an article in the athletic about this. Says the club still feel an obligation to the younger lads even when it’s clear they won’t become part of the first team. That’s why you see some of the older youngsters still getting games

There’s an article in the athletic about this. Says the club still feel an obligation to the younger lads even when it’s clear they won’t become part of the first team. That’s why you see some of the older youngsters still getting games
The key to me is getting better/more ruthless at deciding who's going to make it and who isn't. We don't tend to get big money for our unwanted academy players so I think we just need to stop being so liberal with the contracts. We tend to have too many 22 year olds who've never been anywhere near the first team still under contract, it's fine to have one or two that you think might be a late bloomer but not 5 or 6. Once they are under contract though, I think it's the right thing to keep playing them. Freezing them out won't make you a very attractive opposition for the next batch of kids coming through, and you're effectively just paying them thousands of pounds to contribute absolutely nothing if you do.

Playing alongside a recovering Andre Gomes isn't the same as playing alongside a Matty Pennington, Oumar Niasse or a Luke Garbutt mate.

Pretty easy to distinguish the difference.
Unsworth said that Niasse was great with the under 23 players and showed great attitude.
The other two mentioned have plenty of first team experience at lower levels... but since can players only learn from highest quality players.. who are at a level most players can never reach anyway ?

A lot of the most successful coaches were not great players.

Unsworth said that Niasse was great with the under 23 players and showed great attitude.
The other two mentioned have plenty of first team experience at lower levels... but since can players only learn from highest quality players.. who are at a level most players can never reach anyway ?

A lot of the most successful coaches were not great players.

"Alright pal I've been in the U23's for about 10 years, I'll show you the ropes"

Would love to know what the alternative to playing Pennington actually is considering John is out injured? Should we let the 16 year old in the 18s get rinsed every week at a level hes not ready for or should we play centre half Astley there despite it not being his position? Is either good for development? We've just played Chelsea, the best academy in the country for developing players and they had Drinkwater (30) and Rahman (26) in their side. Its whinging over nothing because Unsworth isn't popular online

Would love to know what the alternative to playing Pennington actually is considering John is out injured? Should we let the 16 year old in the 18s get rinsed every week at a level hes not ready for or should we play centre half Astley there despite it not being his position? Is either good for development? We've just played Chelsea, the best academy in the country for developing players and they had Drinkwater (30) and Rahman (26) in their side. Its whinging over nothing because Unsworth isn't popular online
Pennington is also experienced to learn from and seems a good lad who will help the others and be a good example. I'm sure he'd love to be out playing first team football, but it's where he and the club are at the moment.

Right Back seems to be a weakness at u18/23/ 1st team in terms of depth of cover. I think Liam Higgins from the u18 got some minutes there for the U23s in pre season friendlies but it’s been mainly John, Connolly and Pennington otherwise , so yeah options are limited. None of the u18 except Higgins are looking like an u23 RB , John requires a lot more work defensively to challenge Coleman/Kenny so if we really are joined up in our thinking we need a decent young RB to come in in January at U23s level who can maybe be developed for next season.

Radio Com free for Everton Digital Members -its a free sign up [Game is not live via Arsenal as expected]

Free sign up if you cant hear the game without signing [if it works this been Everton]

---------------------------------------------------

Everton u23s team to face Arsenal u23s 1pm ko

Tyrer, Quirk, Anderson, Pennington, Ouzounidis, Astley, Iversen, Baningime, Onyango, Broadhead, simms,
Subs Hansen, Hughes, Hunt, Jagne, Cannon

Very Strong team from Arsenal

Arsenal U23 [4-3-1-2.]
Macey; Chambers, Sokratis, Saliba, Lopez; Akinola, Cirjan; Cottrell, Smith Rowe; Moller, Balogun.
Subs: Okonkwo, Norton-Cuffy, Dinzeyi, Azeez, Hutchinson.