2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if anything, he should be commended for his loyalty to the cause. Doesn't just turn up for the big games - even plays the friendlies. What a real captain he is and better than the spewing vitriol you are freewheeling with here
No one is spewing vitriol here apart from them whispers in your head you dangerous individual, He's just came back from injury and ran to the Ireland squad to play a friendly game that means absolutely nothing.

See? You've hit the nail on the head as to why he was right to play. Not got long left, treasure every game and every cap.
and now he'll miss more games for Ireland because he rushed himself back when he's just got back from injury, Could have just waited a bit couldn't he.

and now he'll miss more games for Ireland because he rushed himself back when he's just got back from injury, Could have just waited a bit couldn't he.

Risk-reward. Fair play to Coleman for having the confidence and the temerity to do so. I don't think our captain deserves this weird level of abuse to be honest.

Risk-reward. Fair play to Coleman for having the confidence and the temerity to do so. I don't think our captain deserves this weird level of abuse to be honest.
Them whispers in your head again? No abuse here chief just pointing out he's done a boo boo in rushing to the national team so quickly after just getting back from injury.

The constant inability to name an even partially-settled team is killing Ancelotti's momentum. Every team gets injuries, but we're not doing our level best to minimise them, nor are we smart enough on the pitch to avoid self-indulgent suspensions. Coleman, who has been in and out with injury, has been careless with Everton's needs here. I say this as an Irishman. This wasn't a qualifier. It was a nothing match. Richarlison is pretty shameless jetting off to South America having let his club down badly in the derby. However, at least he's playing World Cup games. I hope he avoids the tender mercies of the Uruguayans this week... He certainly owes us big time when he returns.
He played great in the derby, it was just a rush of blood to the head. He didn't plan on getting suspended. Great player.

I think Coleman would have tweaked the same hamstring in training for us regardless. It's obviously not healed and he/they are not giving it enough time but that's because we don't have a better option (or even back up) at right back and that was a mistake even though we did some great signings otherwise, especially in midfield. Actually, having prioritised midfield, was it realistic of us to expect the right back position to be also sorted in that (Carlo's first full) transfer window? Probably not.

Coleman needs to be told to dial back the international football. I'm from Ireland, but Coleman is a veteran now who needs to conserve energy if he wishes to remain an option for Everton. I wouldn't mind, but our national team is the worst it's been in my lifetime - I'm 48! - and it's not like we'll be qualifying for anything for at least another generation. Seamus is well past it now, so it's not like I think he's a massive loss, but he should be prioritising his club to prolong his career at this stage.

I can't believe the club has let some of our South Americans off on international duty given that one of them got himself suspended for three key games and is now jeopardising his future availability on a jaunt half way across the world, and the other is recovering from injury. I love international football (well, I used to before they bloated it into a circus), but at what point does Everton come first? I sense a lack of seriousness about us at the moment.
I'm also 48 and Irish, you're dead right, this is the worst team we have ever had even though I respect Stephen Kenny (played with him as a teenager) and the style of play has improved (at least we passed it around a bit tonight in spells). It's not the fault of Kenny or the players; it's all down to the catastrophic management of the FAI over the past 20 years, personified by John Delaney, which has given GAA and Rugby a massive head start in terms of snapping up young sportsmen, even if football is still the most popular sport on the ground.

I think Coleman would have tweaked the same hamstring in training for us regardless. It's obviously not healed and he/they are not giving it enough time but that's because we don't have a better option (or even back up) at right back and that was a mistake even though we did some great signings otherwise, especially in midfield. Actually, having prioritised midfield, was it realistic of us to expect the right back position to be also sorted in that (Carlo's first full) transfer window? Probably not.
this is fair, we need outs first before we can splurge on a lb

You would tell Richy he can't play for Brazil? How do you think he'd react to that?
No, I would tell him that he can play for Brazil but that he will have to accept that his indiscipline in the derby means that plenty of people feel let down and frustrated that he is potentially further jeopardising his availability for the club. I would tell him that international football is important, is a great experience, and that I would support him playing in World Cup qualifiers, but he needs to learn from what's happened and ensure there is no repeat. But I would be clear: jetting off now, for all the right reasons, is not a good look when he's been unavailable due to his own actions. Go for it, but take any criticism as motivation to properly manage his emotions in stressful situations. Champions League clubs expect their players to be available as much as possible...

Basically, I am not against Richarlison playing for Brazil. But the frustration some feel is definitely on him. I think this needs to be made clear to him - and I am assuming it has been. It's possible to feel irritated by this state of affairs and at Richarlison's inability to hold his temper in a big game - a poor message to so-called "elite" clubs - while simultaneously supporting his wish to play World Cup games for his country - another iffy signal to the glamour boys. But he's a big boy, and he'll need to assume some responsibility if things go further awry in South America.

I'm also 48 and Irish, you're dead right, this is the worst team we have ever had even though I respect Stephen Kenny (played with him as a teenager) and the style of play has improved (at least we passed it around a bit tonight in spells). It's not the fault of Kenny or the players; it's all down to the catastrophic management of the FAI over the past 20 years, personified by John Delaney, which has given GAA and Rugby a massive head start in terms of snapping up young sportsmen, even if football is still the most popular sport on the ground.
Yeah, John Delaney was poison, but when people like me politely pointed out as much many moons ago, we were dismissed - in much the same way people were dismissed when pointing out Bertie Aherne's carry-on. These were not popular critiques. Irish people made their choices - including drinking booze from Delaney's shoes - so utterly deserve the wretched state of affairs we now see. I have no criticism of Kenny - he may well be out of his depth and he doesn't have a profile to speak of beyond the League of Ireland - but the reality is that the manager, whoever he is, is effectively hamstrung by the absolute dearth of talent to pick from. Of course, that's also been the case for many years but the likes of Dunphy insisted Trap had the players, when it was patently obvious he had next to nothing. Style of play is an affectation when the players can't do the basics. And they can't. That's on the FAI who have outsourced player development and, as you say, abandoned the field to the GAA and rugby where our few professional administrators seem to find a home.

He played great in the derby, it was just a rush of blood to the head. He didn't plan on getting suspended. Great player.
I think he's tremendous, but his lack of restraint is something that needs to be addressed. It's part of the game to be smart or cute. He fell down badly on that one. Lots to learn. If we want to compete, we need to be smarter. Richarlison wasn't, and now there is further risk of unavailability with the national team. I'll know we are truly a big club when we see players like Richarlison crying off international duty due to "injuries". Until that point comes, we are nowhere in the race for top four or even top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.