2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I can really see to keep him on and give him a new deal is that if we're gonna stick with the DoF model, then what's the point in ripping it up and going with another bloke who does things completely differently.

But that's a pretty poor indictment of Brands, really.

Bar Digne, none of our 4-5 best players would be here if not for the respective managers they signed under.
Is it not his job to do the negotiations in any deal too and take accountability of the playing budget? I actually don’t know for sure, if he does then I guess he’s got a crucial job regardless of whose to credit for the good signings.
It’s great he trusts Carlo and why shouldn’t he.
I’m pretty certain though that if a signing does well it’ll be the managers signing. If a signing doesn’t work out it’ll be brand’s signing.( Lol probably no different to the dynamics in a lot of workplaces!)

Is it not his job to do the negotiations in any deal too and take accountability of the playing budget? I actually don’t know for sure, if he does then I guess he’s got a crucial job regardless of whose to credit for the good signings.
It’s great he trusts Carlo and why shouldn’t he.
I’m pretty certain though that if a signing does well it’ll be the managers signing. If a signing doesn’t work out it’ll be brand’s signing.( Lol probably no different to the dynamics in a lot of workplaces!)

I think he's done well on most of the deals done, mate, bar Iwobi which was just a shocking deal.

He definitely has a lot to do with the negotiations and I do think in that regard he does pretty well. But it's the deals he doesn't do that are the issue.

It's not like we were even in for players that it's desperately obvious we needed (well, the positions, more than the players themselves). That's my frustration.

Godfrey- >£23m
Mina- >£25m
Gomes- >£25m
Iwobi- ~£30m
Doucoure- ~£20m
Allan- >£20m
Moise Kean- >£25m
Gblammo- >£20m
Richarlison- >£35m
Digne- ~£14m
Delph- ~£8m
James- Free.

The guy seriously likes his £20m+ deals.

Scratch beneath the surface of the first-choice XI, and it reflects quite poorly on Brands's squad-building efforts.

Are we just going to have to wait for a raft of contract expiries before anything meaningful happens?

Also add, a player gets sold or loaned out, scores a few goals and it’s WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOT RID.
This is killing me regarding Moise Kean. I’ve seen his staggering lack of technical ability with my own two eyes but now he’s at a team who’s left back cost more than most teams stadiums and scoring against French place names more well known for their mustard than their football suddenly he’s amazing.

They also forget that it was he who last minute decided he wanted a loan to leave us short and when you call people out on it they go “yeah but he’s better than Tosun” when in reality they’re both ill suited to the league and can’t be trusted with enough minutes to make any kind of difference to a game.

Moyes has a good eye for a player - like Rangnick I think he could easily go from a full on manager to some DOF type appointment.

I have no doubt had we given him the money we gave Walsh + Brands we would look a lot better on the pitch.
He has never done the job!

The job you are describing is a scout. Yeah he may make a good scout, his dad was/is one isn't he?

He signed some good cheap players, he also signed some absolute dross.

Moyes signings were largely excellent. Odd to imply otherwise.
Its nowhere near as odd as saying he should be our DOF!

He made some good signings, he also made some rubbish ones, usually when he was spending real money as opposed to buttons. We are beyond that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.