The blue correspondent(not@bungle !!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario Terracotta

Player Valuation: £70m
Any of the older vintage(hello @Joey66 @Eggs @ManxBrian @allezlesbleus !!!)or anyone who has a bit of time on their hands during this lockdown period,get on this great site https://bluecorrespondent.co.uk/1969-70/february1970.html a little difficult to navigate maybe but a plethora of information from the 1900s up to the present day,mainly local newspaper reports,echo and old evening express,everything really interesting reading who we were liked with,players talking to the echo before big games/afterwards,I've only scratched the surface myself,had a look at the build up for the week up to the oldham 1954 promotion game,the players celebrated with orangeade!!5000 blues locked out!! recommended!!!

Yes great work that from Billy Smith, he done a few books, a good few years ago now chronicling our first few seasons in the football league.

He also uncovered how back in the 19th Century our fans would clap the opposition goalkeeper a tradition thats continued through to today

Yes great work that from Billy Smith, he done a few books, a good few years ago now chronicling our first few seasons in the football league.

He also uncovered how back in the 19th Century our fans would clap the opposition goalkeeper a tradition thats continued through to today
Well that's untrue for a stsrt...I read on the internet, so it must be true, the rs invented it in 1992, the same year sky invented football.

Always thought the 1970 Charity Shield game was played at Stamford bridge because of the ongoing work on the new main stand,read a little snippet in I think July 1970 section and apparently it was decided on a toss of the coin,great site for us statto history addicted blues!!

Thanks mate!! My dad often told me about his two trips to Oldham without seeing a match... was at the original game but could not see it because of fog and got locked out of the rematch!! Fellas putting tar and newspapers on walls to climb in!!!!
Any of the older vintage(hello @Joey66 @Eggs @ManxBrian @allezlesbleus !!!)or anyone who has a bit of time on their hands during this lockdown period,get on this great site https://bluecorrespondent.co.uk/1969-70/february1970.html a little difficult to navigate maybe but a plethora of information from the 1900s up to the present day,mainly local newspaper reports,echo and old evening express,everything really interesting reading who we were liked with,players talking to the echo before big games/afterwards,I've only scratched the surface myself,had a look at the build up for the week up to the oldham 1954 promotion game,the players celebrated with orangeade!!5000 blues locked out!! recommended!!!

Thanks mate!! My dad often told me about his two trips to Oldham without seeing a match... was at the original game but could not see it because of fog and got locked out of the rematch!! Fellas putting tar and newspapers on walls to climb in!!!!
Yep my old man still moans about it mate,he reckons thankfully the ex Everton keeper George Burnett (who my old fella used to deliver his papers in litherland!!)"threw" a couple in for us that night!!,the game kicked off at 6:50 pm must have been due to no floodlights!!

Regarding the Oldham game,my dad was there locked out,they found a builders yard,borrowed a ladder and climbed in,along with a few religious people,a vicar/priest flew up the ladder,he was told later on a couple of nuns also gained a helping hand over the wall

Reading some of the newspaper pieces, we were lucky to win it by as many points as we did...remember it was only 2pts for a win too
Still, thats the papers for you, even back then, even the daily pist which was a half decent rag.

tbh, I thought we pissed it every game and it was 'a travesty of justice' (copyright b.shankly) when we lost or drew

...cheers @Dario Terracotta, I’ll certainly have a look at that next week.

Was down your way earlier, nice walk along the beach with Mrs Eggs. Very pleasant after yesterday’s disappointment.
Have not been on the beach for a couple of years Eggs mate,having labradors and dispersal of palm oil down there is a bit like our defence,a disaster waiting to happen!!

Regarding the Oldham game,my dad was there locked out,they found a builders yard,borrowed a ladder and climbed in,along with a few religious people,a vicar/priest flew up the ladder,he was told later on a couple of nuns also gained a helping hand over the wall
lol lolloli remember going to Boro for a cup game,think it was Wally Smith's last stand,kept passing a black hackney cab on the A1 bedecked in blue and white with three priests in it,even they couldn't save us that day!!!

What did he do to the books?

What did he do to the books?
Some of the old editions of any old EFC books which have gone out of print are very hard to get hold off .....l search most days for them either extinct or too expensive......I have a large collection mainly from my car booting days .....
Blue correspondent is up there with his internet articles plus @ManxBrian with his goal photos .....
The hours put in must be phenomenal to record our history .....
My late father a mad blue without fail posted the Saturday night Football Echo to his brother in London all his life even when he died youngish my late mother kept that tradition going ....as in London we had four blues fanatics in the family .......

Status
Not open for further replies.