2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one really knows. But not in a bad way. The rules that were in place pre covid about what you could spend, are at best, unclear now. We have these weird sponsorship deals with essentially, the owners mate/boss/partner, which we dont how will be presented in the accounts.

So on the legal basis, not a clue.

But on the basic "do we have money?", the answer is Yes, (sort of; see above).
Having money to spend is not an issue as far as I can see
Being allowed spend it due to STCC and FFP rules is .
No one seems to know how far the rules have been relaxed

He’s the weak link still. This summers signing by him was Doucoure, a player who last had a good season 3 years ago and a raw talent from Norwich that he’s paid top dollar for. Again doesn’t look great to me.

Stop trying to make victims out of the players, mentality has always been a big part of a players profile.
I think...I hope by 'mentality' you mean attitude, committment etc
Mental Health can sometimes be a fragile thing and poor mental health, for instance depression, is not a thing I'd wish on anybody.

But keeping on topic if I had a say, Brands would lucky to keep his job... I'd do away with the post entirely.

He’s the weak link still. This summers signing by him was Doucoure, a player who last had a good season 3 years ago and a raw talent from Norwich that he’s paid top dollar for. Again doesn’t look great to me.

Wouldn't call £20m 'top dollar' for Godfrey to be fair. A 22 year old centre half that staff at the club clearly rate..

I am not a big fan of Brands, but, neither do I subscribe to the school of thought which portrays him as a ‘Dutch Divvy ‘ . I just can’t get my head around the fact that an experienced football man like Brands, watched Iwobi playing and sanctioned paying 30 million plus for him and god knows how much in wages. Iwobi would have been worth a punt for 8 million or so, but, even then, we should not have signed him.

I think we should extend his contract as he seems to work well with Carlo. On the other hand, if he sanctioned that level of outlay on Iwobi, we have to accept that, like many of his signings, Brands has a mistake in him.

If we're gonna continue with a DoF, I'd keep him, but really that's the only reason atm.

He's not helped by some baffling risks he's taken, though. Leaving things too late.

Bump.

Just a reminder that we let Kean and Walcott go without brining in another forward/wide player. The signing of Godfrey for £20m as a fourth choice centre half now looks silly too.

Add in the signings of:

Mina
Delph
Iwobi
Lossl
Bernard

Who have all been bang average- bloke needs booting he isn't good enough.

Might work in slower continental leagues but we need a DOF who knows England and the need for pace and strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.