2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team on Sunday lacked pace which gave Southampton the eastiest game they could have imagined.
Seamus attacking down the the right and Richarlison on the left would have given us a totally different game.
Godfrey does not have the pace or attacking instincts of Seamus and Iwobi and Richarlison are just poles apart.
JR is a beautiful footballer but not pacy and that left us with only Digne as any kind of attacking threat.

Against Newcastle I expect to see Nkounou, Kenny and Gordon start and although inexperienced there is a lot of pace there.

I think that the Gomes / Sigurdsson decision seems worse because the team was already stretched by injuries and suspension.

For whatever reason, though, Ancelotti seems to think quite highly of Sigurdsson.

I agree ... it’s was a combination of changes from font to back and down both flanks ... all inferior players by far to the ones they replaced and it effected the team massively which isn’t surprising I guess.

The team on Sunday lacked pace which gave Southampton the eastiest game they could have imagined.
Seamus attacking down the the right and Richarlison on the left would have given us a totally different game.
Godfrey does not have the pace or attacking instincts of Seamus and Iwobi and Richarlison are just poles apart.
JR is a beautiful footballer but not pacy and that left us with only Digne as any kind of attacking threat.

Against Newcastle I expect to see Nkounou, Kenny and Gordon start and although inexperienced there is a lot of pace there.

Godfrey doesnt have pace? By all accounts he is very, very quick for a centreback.

Pace wasn't his issue, the issue is he isn't a right back.

There was one moment in the game where Godfrey lost the ball and he came running like a bull in a China shop to win it back, He's probably the fastest player on the team.

I see what you're saying but I wouldn't say pace was the word you're looking for there. Godfrey is miles quicker than Kenny, he's just not a right back. I think Iwobi's probably quicker than Gordon too, or at least on a par, but he's not a direct runner who wants to stretch teams.

I mean, Godfrey is quick, he's just not a full-back. I'm sure Godfrey would beat Coleman in a straight sprint, but that's obviously not how footy works.

Godfrey had a poor game on Sunday like every player in the Everton team but I guarantee he has plenty of pace, more than Seamus, Ben is a very good footballer which he will prove in the coming months, and he will do better if he plays right back again, providing he has someone covering for him, he had no one on Sunday, James doesn’t do covering.

He was spot about the witch-hunt for Everton regarding Pickford last week and Digne being sent off... Could see we were light in the 50-50s, hence why they won the vast majority, any team will be advised to go down like they have been shot from any challenge in next few games as we will be judged harshly from the fall out of the derby... Just sad so many so called Blues brought into media campaign and made it so easy for us to be this target...

I don't know where else to write this, but

I'm sure Ancelotti must have learned lot from that. You're right, all the replacements lacked pace - though Godfrey is pacey - but just not a RB at all. So unlucky that all three legitimate players for that position are injured. I didnt' watch or follow the game but I understand they just attacked Godfrey because James also wasnt tracking back (which obvz doesnt matter lol)

I think any combination of Kenny/Nkounkou/Digne/Coleman can now be a threat, which is great. I wonder if in the future, Nkounkou or Kenny as midfielders would be a good idea in certain matches when we really need to have domination on the wings. 4 excellent full backs together might be interesting as a tactical surprise

Iwobi, Siggy, One player out of position all together just didnt work out

I hope peoples expectations are staying realistic, I f we don't get top 4 it isn't the end of the world as it wasn't in our projections for this season. After such a good start we should be aiming for Europe 100% but let's not get carried away, I think we have seen the limitations on the squad against Southampton, we can't afford to lose Richy he's too good and does too much graft he really is irreplaceable at the moment.

This. Ancelotti took over a bottom half squad. It had a few class players in (Richarlison and Digne) but the rest weren’t upto much. He‘s rescued a few (DCL, Keane, Mina, Coleman, Gomes) and added some quality (James, Doucoure, Allan) plus a few youngsters (Godfrey, Nkonkou, Branthwaite). He was always going to need more than one window to sort out decades of ingrained mediocrity mentality. There’s still a lot of deadwood to clear, and a lot of competition to add to the squad to stop the likes of James Richarlison and Allan getting complacent knowing they won’t be dropped. Holgate and Gbamin need to get back fit to keep first teamers on their toes, and we need back up striker and wide forward options (not Josh King) to really push the first team and offer depth and variety.

This was a bottom half squad with a bottom half mentality. Returning this group to any form of Europe and winning big games will be an achievement.

I’m worried that Digne’s suspension will mean that Carlo won’t trust having 3 young players in the starting 11 and that may mean we’ll end up seeing Iwobi again instead of Gordon... I hope not, but I can see it happening...

Status
Not open for further replies.