2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone apart from Richarlison would have made the difference yesterday. Southampton was able to lock down the wings because we didn’t have a replacement out wide. You just can’t fall behind in these games. We lost this game to a cheesy throwin and Southampton took advantage.

Gomes is a worry in that we expect him to be better because of his former club pedigree. I can't work out why his form is so poor. It is down to Carlo as always to find a role that suits him best.

Gomes is a worry in that we expect him to be better because of his former club pedigree. I can't work out why his form is so poor. It is down to Carlo as always to find a role that suits him best.
Aside from a positive "purple patch" during a season at Valencia his career has very much been a tale of inconsistency, Barca fans had seen enough of him after 3 games! Tbh he is not a player i would even have loaned let alone paid money for but i can see why some fans like him. I just find that he wants a bit too much time on the ball and often seems like he does'nt really know what he wants to do with the ball so like we saw last week will just hoof it anywhere, not for me.

I agree on this club pedigree thing, but reality is different, IE Gana from Villa, Richarlison from Watford...etc better players poor previous clubs

Many on here have written about the poor games he has had also what about Iwobi you support his selection?

It's not what I would have done, but I get why Carlo did it. It's helpful to remember that a manager really has three jobs:

- Maximize immediate point return by setting up the team for the next fixture
- Maximize point return over the course of the season
- Either set transfer policy or coordinate with a DoF on transfer policy, in order to maximize point returns now and in the long term

I felt like playing Bernard, who has combined well with Digne in the past when Digne was in form, was the selection most likely to maximize immediate point returns. With the league appearing to be down this season, I'd be pretty short-term focused (which is not normal for me).

Carlo's probably taking a longer term view. He's probably thinking that top 6 is the minimum goal this season, and top 4 and a trophy are the stretch goals. That lot across the park are built to win now, and he's probably trying to position to pick up the pieces as they age and decline with our win-now midfield as the bridge to get there.

In that light, playing Iwobi makes sense. He's more likely to develop into a long-term starter quickly than the younger prospects, and Carlo needs to figure out if that's going to happen or not ASAP so he can move on and get value if it isn't. This is the same basic reasoning behind why he's trying to find a way to shoehorn Godfrey into the starting XI, and why Davies got so many chances to play.

I would be much more inclined to question selecting Sigurdsson (and giving him the armband) than selecting Iwobi.

Are the 'he deserved dropping for Sigurdsson' lads back in their yet?

If so, stay there for the foreseeable lads. Youse haven't a clue.

I wouldn't say that "he deserved dropping" so much as "he wasn't playing well enough to make it impossible for the manager to drop him".

Carlo probably thought he saw something, gave it a go and it didn't work out. That happens sometimes when a side is in flux due to injuries.

I wouldn't say that "he deserved dropping" so much as "he wasn't playing well enough to make it impossible for the manager to drop him".

Carlo probably thought he saw something, gave it a go and it didn't work out. That happens sometimes when a side is in flux due to injuries.

He had one really bad game against a really good team. He’s been fine this season for the most part.

He works in this new midfield because he can keep us ticking over and relieves some pressure off Mina, Keane, Doucoure and Allan when they don’t want to be on the ball because he comes deep to collect

Sigurdsson on the other hand doesn’t. Again, at Southampton, he found himself sitting between 2/3 defenders with his hand up like he wanted the ball, but didn’t make a move towards it

If you’re going to drop Gomes at any point, may as we’ll be for Davies or, Christ, even delph before we go back to Sigurdsson

He had one really bad game against a really good team. He’s been fine this season for the most part.

He works in this new midfield because he can keep us ticking over and relieves some pressure off Mina, Keane, Doucoure and Allan when they don’t want to be on the ball because he comes deep to collect

Sigurdsson on the other hand doesn’t. Again, at Southampton, he found himself sitting between 2/3 defenders with his hand up like he wanted the ball, but didn’t make a move towards it

If you’re going to drop Gomes at any point, may as we’ll be for Davies or, Christ, even delph before we go back to Sigurdsson

I agree, but there's only one way to find that out - try it. I wouldn't be surprised if Carlo gives Davies a spin sooner or later. I doubt he'll try Delph, but could be wrong about that.

I figure Carlo sees Gomes as an answer, but not the answer, unlike the other two in midfield.

He’s the worst of the lot, Delph
I agree witt toff33 And Delph. I don’t think the midfield is quite working, which I know sounds a bit mad.
But it’s Doucoure who seems stuck the right covering for James. And not playing his natural game.

Play Delph central and Allan Right and give Doucoure the left hand side Abd we will always have Allan and Delph protecting the back 4. I’d like to see us play a bit tighter for a few games and trying pick up a clean sheet or two.

Doucoure wouid also help us attacking the left channel with Richarlison and Digne. Another player for the opposition To worry about when James is play balls in to the box

Status
Not open for further replies.