Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worry is that it was a performance that mirrored so many of last season.

Was always going to be a possiiblity when poor tactics + cowardly players like Iwobi & Siggurdsson sneak their way back into the starting 11.
We are to predictable, only one way of playing thats affective, teams just overload the left , and put an extra player in midfield or drop a forward back to help out press and we struggle.
Those two you mention have no pace or aggression so add to the problem , could add Bernard, Davies,and Gomes most of the time to that list , who as soon as they are in the team add nothing.
We lack a striker , a wide player and another midfielder , if we could get rid of some of the deadwood knocking about ,there are still far to many at the club, we might get some decent quality in.
I havnt got to excited still think we will struggle to get top 6 because we dont have the quality in depth to compete over the season or play in diffrent ways of playing.
We have bought to much rubbish over the years, we have to bin most of them before we truly go forwards.

1603698491921.png

We're still top of the league and some of the woeful comments in here and other threads are odd at best. Guys, give your heads a wobble!

Still top, 19 teams would gladly swap places with us. It was always going to happen, the biggest test is the reaction next week
Carlo will surely never play Iwobi and Gylfi again from the start. I’d be happy with Digne having a 3 match ban because I think he’s starting to become a weak link in this team.
Southampton are no mugs at all

I know despite the defeat yesterday we've still had a great start by and large... but things could get messy pretty quickly if we get beat by Newcastle and United as well. The table is very tight currently, we could find ourselves mid table again before we know it.

With Richarlison out for another 2 games
Digne 3
James ???
Coleman 1-2

Gonna be a big slog these next 2 games.

International break cant come quick enough.

Carlo will sort it.
He now knows for sure who he can and can not count on.
I’d be pretty sure Gomes, Delph, NKunku and possibly Gordon come in for the Newcastle game. Not sure about a change in shape however I think this result and performance should assist in refocusing the team in general.

overall it’s been a great start, one bad performance and hopefully the team can move on.

We are to predictable, only one way of playing thats affective, teams just overload the left , and put an extra player in midfield or drop a forward back to help out press and we struggle.
Those two you mention have no pace or aggression so add to the problem , could add Bernard, Davies,and Gomes most of the time to that list , who as soon as they are in the team add nothing.
We lack a striker , a wide player and another midfielder , if we could get rid of some of the deadwood knocking about ,there are still far to many at the club, we might get some decent quality in.
I havnt got to excited still think we will struggle to get top 6 because we dont have the quality in depth to compete over the season or play in diffrent ways of playing.
We have bought to much rubbish over the years, we have to bin most of them before we truly go forwards.
Press high up the field and Everton has nobody with the technic to bring the ball out of defense. Most of the time there is 30m between the defensive line and midfield. Allan being the only pivot in midfield cant do it alone and cover 30m. Ancelottis tactics are mostly crap. They still have after i dont how many seasons to learn how to play as a team so that you can miss 2 or 3 players without looking like a old women team with no physical and tactital awerness.

If you don't want to compete physically against Southampton then unfortunately you will lose. Their high press is like Klopp from a couple of years ago and they will outrun most teams. You have to hope this is a wake up call for the squad that they can't just turn up and expect to turn teams over.

Next week is going to be very difficult with injuries and suspensions. We have to go back to a hard working side, be compact in defence and hope to find a goal or two on the break or from set plays. We have zero squad depth and too many players involved who will continue to let the club down.

My player ratings
Pickford 7 Godfrey 5 Mina 6 Keane 6 Digne 4 Doucoure 4 Allan 6 Sigurdsson 3 James 5 Calvert-Lewin 6 Iwobi 4
Bernard 4 Delph 6 Gordon 6
What drugs are you taking. 7 for Pickford? 5 for Godfrey the worst player on the pitch. Keane and Mina 6 ? Your standards are on not very high. Schoolboy defending all over. Bambi 6 for doing nothing all match? Allan 6 for arm waving and discussions with the ref?

Some people on here need to take a wee look at themselves. We are top of the league and in the last eight of a cup and we are calling our players names and berating the team. One draw and one loss this season is pretty good going when you consider we couldn’t top the bottom half league last season. We improved over the last transfer window, we didn’t become Real Madrid, We are going to get beaten this season, we will get beaten again, even if we win a trophy we will suffer defeats. If fans are going to sacrifice success on the alter of perfection what is the point.

Some people on here need to take a wee look at themselves. We are top of the league and in the last eight of a cup and we are calling our players names and berating the team. One draw and one loss this season is pretty good going when you consider we couldn’t top the bottom half league last season. We improved over the last transfer window, we didn’t become Real Madrid, We are going to get beaten this season, we will get beaten again, even if we win a trophy we will suffer defeats. If fans are going to sacrifice success on the alter of perfection what is the point.

It's the fact that some of last season's players were back yesterday and we didn't turn up. It's no surprise at all, but it's still very frustrating. If they don't want to bust a gut for Ancelotti and to keep up a good start, then they never will.

Worrying thing yesterday for me was the fitness levels of the team and lack of any pace in the team. That saints team looked super fit and it seemed at times that they had extra players even before digne went off. Their manager has got them super fit. I thought this would be what we would be like this season as Carlo employs 2 fitness coaches. Top 10 finish as we will struggle against the top teams

Status
Not open for further replies.