2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mina is done for me. He is nowhere near both goals and the backpedaling is shocking. He gets turned so much too.

Godfrey at least went to the ball and won a fair few.
Where was keane for both goals? Mina has been OK this season mainly so I wouldn't sanction Godfrey being put straight in at CB but would like him introduced if we are comfortable in a game or an injury to keane or Mina.

Hi folks, Norwich fan in peace here, hope you don't mind me contributing - I watched the game today with a careful eye on Godfrey.

It was definitely a poor team performance from your boys and from Godfrey in particular. I don't think that Godfrey ever played RB in his Norwich career, he played temporarily at LB for a period when Lewis was injured a couple of years ago but that's about it. In fact, he was a CDM in his loan at Shrewsbury before coming into the Norwich team and Farke converted him into a CB. I would say that he's played about 18 months of football at CB in his career and almost nothing at RB.

I think that shows a little bit in his positional awareness, which needs work - he sometimes struggled tracking runners especially clever strikers going across him to the near post - see highlights of WBA 1-1 Norwich from Jan/Feb 2019 - Dwight Gayle gets across him easily. He needs to work on that awareness which I think is a product of his inexperience.

However, he is a superb athlete, with great pace, good height and really neat and tidy on the ball playing at CB. That's what you've bought - real potential because if he learns the CB position he's got all the attributes athletically to be very, very good.

I saw a few of you asking about the clamour for Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey given they formed a big part of a poor back four last season. For me there are a few reasons for this - they were all inexperienced at that level, all young and they were not afforded the greatest protection from our midfield - we had great technical players in Leitner, Trybull, Cantwell and Buendia but they all found the athleticism of opponents tough to deal with defensively.

Also, they all had similar weaknesses in not being particularly strong in the air, esp. Aarons and Lewis. In fact we were a small team overall and a lot of goals conceded were from set pieces and aerial balls. We also spent most of the season with only Godfrey as our fit centre-half - we had midfielders like Alex Tettey and Ibrahim Amadou playing centre-half for long periods. Hanley, Zimmermann and Klose all spent lengthy periods injured. So a bit of mitigation for the young lads there on why we conceded so many goals.

Most Norwich fans would say that Aarons and Buendia are our best two players but Godfrey would probably have been next on the list - give the lad a chance to develop and improve and I do think you'll end up with a quality player.

Good luck for the season!

I like him, got good pace, good attitude. It’s a new position for him but he was great last week. He won’t always be up against Nathan ‘I only turn up one game a season against Everton’ Redmond.

Feel a bit sorry for him in the fact that it was his first start and looked so exposed. I actually thought he'd do well up against Redmond based on what i saw in the derby but he struggled today.

Hopefully Kenny wil be back for Newcastle, as the poor lad Godfrey was completely out of his depth at RB today with James in front of him. If he has to play, we need to stick Bernard (Bolasie? :pint2:) or someone in front to help him and move James to a more central position.

Not a right back. It happens a lot when players play out of position they play OK in one game then poor in the next. I hope he gets a chance at centre back soon. He may also come in handy if Allan needs a rest. All credit to him he never give up even though he was clearly out of his depth.

Not a right back. It happens a lot when players play out of position they play OK in one game then poor in the next. I hope he gets a chance at centre back soon. He may also come in handy if Allan needs a rest. All credit to him he never give up even though he was clearly out of his depth.
Yeah he definitely shouldn’t be starting RB in the PL. Pretty unfortunate our 2 RBs are injured but what can you do.

Not quite up there with the worst performance we’ve seen at right back, John Heitinga takes any accolades for that lol

Remeber loads hadn’t see him play but knew he could play right back and thought we’d be getting ourselves a right sided Baines to out Hibbert and Neville lol

Yeah he definitely shouldn’t be starting RB in the PL. Pretty unfortunate our 2 RBs are injured but what can you do.

To be fair given how he performed last week it was the right decision to start him. I just hope it doesn't dent his confidence. With a bit of luck Kenny will be back and might see this as an opportunity to make himself first choice. Godfrey alongside Keane would mean we could play a slightly higher line.

...he looked like a CB playing RB today so I think the idea of him being some type of utility player might be a little premature.

One burst of acceleration to stop a breakaway near the centre circle was enough to confirm my belief that he’s a CB and only a CB.

Hi folks, Norwich fan in peace here, hope you don't mind me contributing - I watched the game today with a careful eye on Godfrey.

It was definitely a poor team performance from your boys and from Godfrey in particular. I don't think that Godfrey ever played RB in his Norwich career, he played temporarily at LB for a period when Lewis was injured a couple of years ago but that's about it. In fact, he was a CDM in his loan at Shrewsbury before coming into the Norwich team and Farke converted him into a CB. I would say that he's played about 18 months of football at CB in his career and almost nothing at RB.

I think that shows a little bit in his positional awareness, which needs work - he sometimes struggled tracking runners especially clever strikers going across him to the near post - see highlights of WBA 1-1 Norwich from Jan/Feb 2019 - Dwight Gayle gets across him easily. He needs to work on that awareness which I think is a product of his inexperience.

However, he is a superb athlete, with great pace, good height and really neat and tidy on the ball playing at CB. That's what you've bought - real potential because if he learns the CB position he's got all the attributes athletically to be very, very good.

I saw a few of you asking about the clamour for Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey given they formed a big part of a poor back four last season. For me there are a few reasons for this - they were all inexperienced at that level, all young and they were not afforded the greatest protection from our midfield - we had great technical players in Leitner, Trybull, Cantwell and Buendia but they all found the athleticism of opponents tough to deal with defensively.

Also, they all had similar weaknesses in not being particularly strong in the air, esp. Aarons and Lewis. In fact we were a small team overall and a lot of goals conceded were from set pieces and aerial balls. We also spent most of the season with only Godfrey as our fit centre-half - we had midfielders like Alex Tettey and Ibrahim Amadou playing centre-half for long periods. Hanley, Zimmermann and Klose all spent lengthy periods injured. So a bit of mitigation for the young lads there on why we conceded so many goals.

Most Norwich fans would say that Aarons and Buendia are our best two players but Godfrey would probably have been next on the list - give the lad a chance to develop and improve and I do think you'll end up with a quality player.

Good luck for the season!

Cheers, great insights!

Showed a good turn of pace to get back and intercept a through ball in the first half but that was running in the middle of the pitch (centre backesque)
Unfortunately hung out to dry in the RB position and would need to put in a lot of work, to understand that position.
Team seemed unbalanced all over though, so he got no help with only James who could’ve tracked back and help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.