2020/21 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can see the red standing for serious foul play. It's a tackle from behind, where he's unlikely to win the ball and risks injuring the opponent. Intent or lifting hands up doesn't really come into the argument.

--------------------------
Law 12.....

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

It was a risky challenge and while people can rightly argue about the law and the punishment it invokes I can't see the argument against the ref's application of it in today's game.
I’d hardly call it a tackle, he was running. What’s he meant to do?

I very much doubt it will get rescinded after last weeks shenanigans.

Wasn't a red imo but Digne was a tosser doing it though. He already knows we are struggling without Richy and Coleman and that the refs might be daft with cards and he comes at him twice from behind in a position where he is no threat at all. Expect better from him and he let us down as he has added to our absentee problems.

Accidental my backside. It was reckless, clueless, stupid and he should be fined by Ancelotti. Made no difference to the result but looking ahead it will not help matters for picking a side for another 3 games. One pundit wasted no time by gloating straight away with "do Everton have a disciplinary problem?"

Can see the red standing for serious foul play. It's a tackle from behind, where he's unlikely to win the ball and risks injuring the opponent. Intent or lifting hands up doesn't really come into the argument.

Law 12.....

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

It was a risky challenge and while people can rightly argue about the law and the punishment it invokes I can't see the argument against the ref's application of it in today's game.

Its 100% a red card for me - if we get it rescinded we'll have gotten away with one.

There's no conspiracy on this one - Digne just had to tug his shirt and take a yellow - job done.

He never and his recklessness has left us another quality player down for the next 3 games alongside Richarlison, Coleman and James.

"Pull away" LOL all he had to do was grab his shirt - if that was a RS player on James or DCL you would be foaming.

He put his arms up as he tried to take him down and make it look like it was a coming together.

Forget this 'if it was a RS player' nonsense. I'm talking about your pious assumption that our players seek to deliberately damage the team in the heat of a moment. You clearly have no view about what playing football in this climate is all about.

It shouldn't have been a red, but, a player as experienced as Lucas should not have give the referee the decision to make. There was no immediate danger as there were team mates behind him and the Southampton lad had let the ball run away from him a bit.

After all that has been said in the media this week, it was obvious, give a ref like Kevin Friend a decision to make and it would always be a red.

Forget this 'if it was a RS player' nonsense. I'm talking about your pious assumption that our players seek to deliberately damage the team in the heat of a moment. You clearly have no view about what playing football in this climate is all about.

Yet all the other teams around us somehow manage to avoid 2 red cards in 2 consecutive games (which were both unnecessary challenges).

God help us if we get top 4 and play in the CL against teams who'll be rolling around every time a player touches them never mind our daft lot lunging in or tackling from behind.

Maybe its you who doesn't understand how players need to play in the current game.

Its not the 80's anymore.

Joke if that red ends up banning him for 3 games. It was an accidental professional foul at best. Glad it sounds like we'll be appealing.

That said.. that was possibly Digne's worst performance in a long time that, possibly ever at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.