Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH SOUTHAMPTON P/C

Ancelotti says James not 'definitely' out

He trained today. I hope he is going to train tomorrow and we will see if he is in condition to play on Sunday
Today's training was quite good but he only partial training today.
“I can not tell you were the hematoma . The possibility he plays depends on training tomorrow. If he is comfortable in training he is going to play.”

Kenny not ready
Kenny not ready yet. Godfrey in line to start at right-back v Southampton

Sorry for Van Dijk
"In my opinion, it was a challenge, a mis-timed tackle. He didn't want to hurt Van Dijk. We are really sorry for this, he is a fantastic player. Every one of us hopes for a good recovery for him."

No consideration to drop Pickford
I don't think there's a consideration to take him out [of the limelight]. He is going to play on Sunday.

Southampton will be tough
"It's really tough, they played really well against Chelsea. To win, you have to be at 100%, I would like to be 100% because our target is to try to win."

Ancelotti: We need to remain consistent
"The start was good, now there is a consistency to show every game. We showed a good spirit against one of the best teams and we would like to show the same on Sunday. That's how you can judge the consistency of the team. The same quality, spirit, football.

Carlo - We trying to follow club's motto
Everyone here tries to follow what is the spirit of this club, the spirit of the club is really well explained in that phrase. Of course we are trying to follow this, I think it's a good motivation for us.

Ancelotti told DCL the most-important goal is the next one
What is the most important you have scored?" Carlo answered for him, telling the striker: "Don't think, The most important goal is the next one.

High intensity required
They are trying to play without the ball with high intensity, they are really compact. We have to be smart, we have to be clever with the ball. If we are, we could have chances to win the game.

Pickford spoke to Henderson on tackle
I know he talked after the game with Henderson, I don't know if he was in contact with Van Dijk after. I know that he tried.

“The players in training showed a good motivation. The players who haven’t played a lot know they have an opportunity to be important for this team and in this game. There is a lot of opportunities to replace the players who are out

Ben 'played a good game
I think Ben played a good game. It was not his usual position, but after the first 15 minutes where he had difficulty the second half was really better. He played against one of the best wingers in the world in Mane, so it wasn't an easy game
We tried him this week in training as a RB, he has all the qualities I am confident of that. He is going to play RB (on Sunday)

ON AWAY RECORD
"In general everywhere, to win away now is a little bit easier than in the past [without fans]. Apart from this, the team has more ambition and motivation. That gives us, in the last few games, the opportunity to win away."

Fantastic' Keane hailed
He is doing really well, scoring goals which is important. He played a lot of games really well, but there wasn't a lot of competition! Mina and Michael were more comfortable to not be in competition, but he has put in fantastic performances until now

ON MINA
In general he is doing well, he made a mistake. Everyone does, he was unfortunate that the mistake he made fell to Salah and ended in a goal. In general he is doing really well and I am impressed with him and Michael Keane.

Ancelotti on why he mentioned VVD in regards to James’ injury: “
Because he had a contact at the first minute with VVD. Simple

Last edited:

Don't care how good a goal, please never post this, that was a genuine low life in my time supporting Everton, and there have been so many lows lol

Possibly one of the worst Everton performances i've ever witnessed.

Was diabolical, people forget how scary bad Unsworth was.

See we caught Joyce there acting as though Carlo was point scoring in what was suppose to be the papers section, were they didnt turn the cameras off lol
Heard that, absolute gobshite. Wish Carlo would have said I’m name checking due to the abuse you’ve given Pickford all week for a mistimed challenge

I can still see James making the team. Carlo didn't seem to insist he was 100% out, just that he may be. Could be a deflection tactic, taking some of the pressure off Pickford and highlighting that Van Dijk is no angel.

If James doesn't play, then a really good test of squad depth. Never an easy game but you've still got to back Carlo and his tactics. The old boy knows what he's doing.

See - clever Carlo knows how to manage his team in the media too.

ANCELOTTI

JAMES DEFINITELY OUT, WHAT INJURY?

Not definitely out. Fortunately I think his recovery was really good and he trained today, just a partial training session. Hopefully he will train on Saturday and we will see if he is in condition to play on Sunday. He’s really better now and we have confidence that maybe he can play.

He had a big hematoma, he was not able to train until today. I hope tomorrow will be better. Today was quite good, but he had only partial training.

KENNY FIT?

Not yet. He has to train more, so we are without Seamus [Coleman], Jonjoe and Richarlison.

WIJNALDUM’S COMMENT THAT EVERTON WENT TOO FAR IN THE DERBY

In my opinion it was a challenge, a mistimed tackle but Pickford didn’t want to hurt Van Dijk. Everyone is really sorry for the injury, he is a fantastic player. Everyone hopes for a good recovery.

PICKFORD IN THE RIGHT STATE OF MIND, CONSIDERED TAKING HIM OUT?

No, I don’t consider to take him out. He has trained well, he is focused on the game. I think he’s going to play on Sunday.

STILL UNBEATEN, WHAT TO EXPECT FROM S’TON.

It will be a tough game, a difficult team, they are really well organised. We played against them here in July, we had a lot of difficulties in that game. It’s really tough, they played really well against Chelsea. It is a team that to win, you have to be at 100 per cent. I would like to be at 100 per cent because our target is to try and win.

TOP FOUR RACE?

The start was good, now there is a consistency to show every game. I think we showed a good spirit against one of the best teams, against Liverpool, and we would like to show the same from now on. That’s how you judge the consistency of the team. Every game you have to show the same spirit and show improvement sometimes.

MOTTO FOR THE TEAM?

Everyone here tries to follow the spirit of this club – this spirit is really well explained in that phrase [club motto]. It is a good motivation for us.

CALVERT-LEWIN, HOW CRUCIAL HAS HE BEEN?

I was joking with him today, I asked what is the most important goal he has scored. He was thinking what is the most important and I said “don’t think, the most important goal is the next one!” The past is past, he is doing really well. For the fact he has done really well, everyone expects a little bit more – that has to be his motivation. He has to be ready to show a little but more.

SOUTHAMPTON’S MAIN THREATS?

Southampton are a team with a really clear identity, really clear with how they play without the ball, they are really compact. We have to be smart, to be clever with the ball because I think if we are clever with the ball we could have a chance to win the game.

INJURY UPDATES

James was out for five days. He tried to do some partial training today, it was good. We are going to see tomorrow how he has recovered.

HAS PICKFORD APOLOGISED TO VVD?

I know he talked after the game to Jordan Henderson, and I know that he tried to be in contact with Van Dijk but I don’t know if he talked to him.

HOW CAN YOU COPE WITHOUT COLEMAN, RICHARLISON, POSSIBLY JAMES?

Honestly, the players in training showed a good motivation. They know, the players that didn’t play a lot now have a possibility to be important to this team for this game. There was a lot of competition to replace the players that are out. After that I have to take a decision. It is a difficult decision because everyone has trained really well.

GODFREY DEBUT?

He played a good game, not in his usual position. After the first 15 minutes when he had difficulties the second half was really better. We have to consider that he played against one of the best wingers in the world. It was not an easy game for him, but he was good. We tried him this week, some exercise as a right-back. He has all the qualities to play as a right-back, I have no doubt for this. He’s going to play right-back [on Sunday].

HOW HAVE EVERTON IMPROVED AWAY FROM HOME?

In general, away games are easier right now because you don’t have the crowd, so it’s a little bit easier than in the past. Apart from this, this team at the moment has more ambition, more motivation, so it’s this ambition and motivation that gave us the wins away.

MICHEAL KEANE – 100 PL APPS WITH EVERTON IF HE PLAYS ON SUNDAY. CONSISTENT PERFORMER?

He’s doing really well. He has scored goals, he’s helped us to score goals. I have to say that he has played a lot of games really well, but there was not a lot of competition because we have Mason Holgate and Jared Brainthwaite out, so Micheal and Yerry Mina were more comfortable, but he has done fantastic performances.

WHERE WAS THE JAMES INJURY?

I cannot tell you where, but he had a big hematoma. If he is comfortable in training on Saturday, he is going to play. If the hematoma goes down, he can play.

MINA PERFORMANCE V LIVERPOOL?

He played a good performance. He made a little mistake that was punished by Salah. In general he is doing well, I am pleased with his performances.

Quote Reply

Few tiny touches of saints P/C

Ralph Hasenhüttl
Stu is back in training and has had one good session with us. "Let’s have a look at how he is for the weekend, but he's an option."

Hasenhüttl on Everton
When you look at how they play, it's no coincidence they're unbeaten. They've done a fantastic job. "We played last week against a team that had a lot of quality on the pitch and showed we're not scared."

Ralph Hasenhüttl
"The Premier League is a long run and not a 100m sprint and we know it's tough to win games.
We've become more competitive in the last three games and this is the way we want to go

Hasenhüttl on Nathan Tella
What I like is that he really has no fear and has a very good attitude. In the number 10 position you must have a high workload and he does. He has some qualities that can help us in the future."

Looks like an easy win for you then as Lawro has predicted a 2-0 win for Saints!
He never gets our results right. Have to just hope there's a first time coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.