2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what lads? I think Pickford might be my favourite Everton player now.

Had the media not ganged up on him and started a witch hunt against him I’d have said fair is fair, he deserves a red card for his challenge, which he did, however the way they’ve gone about it, labelling him malicious and accusing him of assault and begging for him to be banned and making an example out of him for doing it to that certain player because he plays for that certain club, I’m more supportive of him now.

Not in the least - Bad challenges go unpunished all the time; it was a reckless mistake on his part. What I AM saying is that he isn't good enough for us and should be dropped to see if Olsen can be any sort of upgrade (at the moment that doesn't seem like the hardest task).

Of course, for the first time in a number of years we have a manager who can be trusted to make the tough calls so I will watch what he does with interest.

My immediate concern, following the FA's announcement, is with what that bedwetter, who wanted to bring this up in front of parliament, tweets next.

Imagine being so narcissistic to imagine Parliament would drop this whole Covid, Brexit, climate change, poverty malarkey to discuss the use of VAR in a premier league match that didn't go your way.

9/10 keepers do the exact same in that scenario.

He’d have been sent off if the challenge wasn’t offside for clattering the player, but it wasn’t violent conduct, or dangerous play. Just a genuine attempt at making a block, and a coming together of players.

They don’t have a leg to stand on regarding a retrospective ban.

I mean the attempt may be genuine but it can still be dangerous and it the offside doesn't affect when it comes to violent conduct.

Had the media not ganged up on him and started a witch hunt against him I’d have said fair is fair, he deserves a red card for his challenge, which he did, however the way they’ve gone about it, labelling him malicious and accusing him of assault and begging for him to be banned and making an example out of him for doing it to that certain player because he plays for that certain club, I’m more supportive of him now.

I think this explains a great deal when it comes to the internal (in terms of fans) debate on this issue. We all pretty much agree that he made mistakes that fortunately went unpunished, but we're pretty much split between:

- His mistakes being the last straw and wanting him benched

- Fierce, tribal protection of him from the obvious bias of the media and the overblown focus on/criticism of his actions

I get both POVs, but I just think, once this furore dies down, the mistakes will still be there and we'll see a belated change of heart from those in camp 2, reverting back to camp 1. I hope Carlo takes a dispassionate view and gives the lad a spell on the bench. For the record, I truly hope he'd get his head together if dropped and come back better for it.

I think this explains a great deal when it comes to the internal (in terms of fans) debate on this issue. We all pretty much agree that he made mistakes that fortunately went unpunished, but we're pretty much split between:

- His mistakes being the last straw and wanting him benched

- Fierce, tribal protection of him from the obvious bias of the media and the overblown focus on/criticism of his actions

I get both POVs, but I just think, once this furore dies down, the mistakes will still be there and we'll see a belated change of heart from those in camp 2, reverting back to camp 1. I hope Carlo takes a dispassionate view and gives the lad a spell on the bench. For the record, I truly hope he'd get his head together if dropped and come back better for it.

For me now it’s nothing to do with what’s he’s done previously on the pitch for us or if he’ll still be in the team in a weeks time etc... my support for him is down to the fact they’re trying to make an example out of him, at the expense of one of their players simplY because he plays for their club, no ifs/buts it’s just simply because he plays for that club.

Where were the likes of Savage and Sutton SKY, BT, BBC etc... when Ben Mee ended Wesleys season in a similar fashion? Where was the outrage then or cries of assault then? This is nothing more than an agenda and I’m sticking by Pickford as we all should.

Imagine being so narcissistic to imagine Parliament would drop this whole Covid, Brexit, climate change, poverty malarkey to discuss the use of VAR in a premier league match that didn't go your way.

TBF, COVID and Brexit are being handled so atrociously that Boris would probably relish the chance to discuss this, at length, in parliament.

Plus, isn't Burnham a blue? Maybe Boris can pull some strings and get Richarlison's red overturned to grease the wheels of the Manchester Tier 3 negotiations...

The witch-hunt is borderline outrageous right now, any other club (us included) and it’s forgotten about the next day after a bit of fume, it’s now nearly 49 hours since the incident occurred and, despite being piped down by the FA and the Premier League over it, the media and RS won’t let up until they destroy the lad’s career

For me now it’s nothing to do with what’s he’s done previously on the pitch for us or if he’ll still be in the team in a weeks time etc... my support for him is down to the fact they’re trying to make an example out of him, at the expense of one of their players simplY because he plays for their club, no ifs/buts it’s just simply because he plays for that club.

Where were the likes of Savage and Sutton SKY, BT, BBC etc... when Ben Mee ended Wesleys season in a similar fashion? Where was the outrage then or cries of assault then? This is nothing more than an agenda and I’m sticking by Pickford as we all should.

I honestly get it, mate. Not my stance per se, but then if we all agreed on everything this wouldn't be the award-winning forum it is, would it!?

Status
Not open for further replies.