Match Thread Everton v Liverpool - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s days like yesterday you get a true understanding of just how many sport broadcast companies are infested with their ‘supporters’. I’ve literally never seen so many replays of a tackle before than I did yesterday after VVDs injury. I’ve never seen so much footage dedicated to a player leaving the field, you could have played ‘Everybody Hurts’ track to it, it was that long. I’ve never seen so much time dedicated to talking about the injury during half time and after the game, I’ve never heard commentators persistently mention it every two minutes during the game. It was absolutely pathetic. BT Sport showed their true colours yesterday. But you only need to look at all their ‘pundits’ and commentators to see where their bias lies.

Players Rating:

1. Pickford 5.5- Made few good saves, but he made them look more spectacular than they were due to his short span. The 3rd disallowed goal could have been a basic save but he fumbled it. The foul he committed on VD also showed his lack of calmness.

2. Coleman 6- Was out of position and rushed back to only allow Anderson to beat him and put in the cross for the goal.

3. Mina 5- What a beautiful assist for Salah!

4. Keane 8- The header a beauty and could not have done any better in the back line.

5. Digne 7.5- Did OK and put in the cross needed for our lethal goal poacher.

6. Gomes 4.5- An eyesore today as he failed time and again to weigh his forward pass. Dispossessed couple of times too.

7. Doucoure 7- Was trying to play better than he could but finding opponents equal on resolution and toughness.

8. Allan 6.5- Not as commanding as he committed unnecessary fouls on the likes of Mane who is just too strong on their feet to be dispossessed. Played to his heart as usual.

9. Richarlison 7- Seem lethargic due to international break. Denied by the post and red carded for slight desperation. Could cost us on coming games.

10. Rodriguez 8- Albeit looked frail at times, his deft touch and passes never left him. Delivered the corner for a goal and almost scored one himself. Needs to be more careful not to injure himself on unnecessary challenge.

11. Calvert-Lewin 9- Save us the draw. He just need services.

12. Godfrey 7- Decent debut. Showed glimpse of his ability with that penetrative dribble down the right in first half. If he could put a couple of those in every game even if its through the middle, could be a game changer.

13. Carlos 9- As usual, positive and careful with words in post game. Defensive formation could be improved against fast team.

Overall Team performance- 6. Build on this new never say die spirit and attitude, the team can only get better. UTTs.
Agree with almost all this. Very good summary. I'd actually give Pickford 7 though. I think he's coming in for too much criticism and he also made a couple of excellent saves. I think we should get off his back for a while. We always knew he had limitations - especially dealing with crosses but his shot stopping and distribution are amongst the best in the PL. He's our goalie at the end of the day and there's enough outsiders ready to dish the dirt on our club without us adding to it.

All the antics aside we came from behind twice to get level with these which we don't do very often so Ancelotti is definitely changing things.
Defo a lot has changed with Carlo, getting away wins, getting more than 1 away in a row which we had not done for years, comming from behind, comming from behind to win-so much has changed so quick, it was not that long ago that when we conceeded 1st we expected to lose as we just could not get back in the game

Hey guys, haven't posted on here for ages, Spurs fan in peace.

I've watched every game of yours this season, you look solid and DLC is looking great. I am glad we have genuine alternative to Kane for England. I am sure you know this anyway but Pickford is a clown and he will be a serious obstacle to you guys challenging properly. Not only does he throw them in the net regularly, but he comes across a bit stupid. I've seen him make some really bad challenges before, one on Alli two seasons ago, that challenge on VDV was practically assault, but whatever, I am pretty sure Carlo will be looking to replace. A bit of a simialr situation to Chelsea with Kepa though. The manager blatantly knows he isn't good enough but can only publicly back him until a replacement is brought in.

Apart from that you look promising but yeah GK is a major weakness for you. He would have cost you yesterday yet again if it wasn't for a dodgy VAR call. I just can't see you challenging with Pickford in goal, not a title winning keeper.

By the way, delighted to see VAR finally (unjustly) punish Liverpool, who have had all decisions go for them for far too long. They aren't laughing now.

VDV injury blows the league wide open IMO.

I've watched every game of yours this season, you look solid and DLC is looking great. I am glad we have genuine alternative to Kane for England. I am sure you know this anyway but Pickford is a clown and he will be a serious obstacle to you guys challenging properly. Not only does he throw them in the net regularly, but he comes across a bit stupid. I've seen him make some really bad challenges before, one on Alli two seasons ago, that challenge on VDV was practically assault, but whatever, I am pretty sure Carlo will be looking to replace. A bit of a simialr situation to Chelsea with Kepa though. The manager blatantly knows he isn't good enough but can only publicly back him until a replacement is brought in.

Apart from that you look promising but yeah GK is a major weakness for you. He would have cost you yesterday yet again if it wasn't for a dodgy VAR call. I just can't see you challenging with Pickford in goal, not a title winning keeper.

By the way, delighted to see VAR finally (unjustly) punish Liverpool, who have had all decisions go for them for far too long. They aren't laughing now.

City or Liverpool still.

Im just made up if we can get top 4 - prize money and revenue will allow us FFP wise to spend some more big money and bring in the final 2-3 missing pieces of the jigsaw to challenge next season.

Virgil dijk Van

What I thought yesterday was despite our immense luck in the game, we matched them blow for blow.

The mina clearance wasn't as bad as we think it was. How many players can react that perfectly like Salah? The fella is one of the best attackers in the league for a reason, another kopite on the end of that mis hits.

The fact we kept going and looked like maybe we could win the game? The balance in the fact it could have went either way was completely different to getting beat by their academy back in January so that's a huge positive.

Lewen again stepping up incredibly. Again it's those chances he needs to take and he is doing it. Once chance a game and make sure you finish it, really looking like a top striker in the making now.

James seemed to overthink a lot of things yesterday , just need him to get back to slowing his own game down for those quality passes.

Think we will need another Allan type midfielder to replace gomes. Gomes is great when you control a game but we need some added steel when in games like this to stop him being over run. Options rather than him or noone.

I think we played to them a little bit which I guess is still mentality. 2 weeks ago showed how you can beat them easy, so we should have sat back a little and broke on them but we can improve that in time.

Their passing for the first goal was brilliant . No complaints on our defending, the champions played it around us , I'd be more concerned if they couldn't tbh. Which leans more into positioning in the box to cut that final ball space off rather than try and cut it out and miss before that.

Overall , great result for us. Worst thing in the world would have been to lose. We are still unbeaten , still top and have our winger on a week off right now to recover . If the champions can't beat us , keep that mindset for the rest of the season because I can see a lot of worse teams than Liverpool still to play.

As disappointing as it is to lose our perfect record I think we are best just drawing a line under this whole game and getting on with our lives. I don’t want any of us melting down or exploring legal action against another team or player so let’s lock the thread and reopen it if the PL decide retrospectively to change the result as per the opposition’s very noble request. We will get over our disappointment in time I’m sure.

CHICO!! You must have seen the signal

ezgif-3-b17391bfe891.gif

City or Liverpool still.

Im just made up if we can get top 4 - prize money and revenue will allow us FFP wise to spend some more big money and bring in the final 2-3 missing pieces of the jigsaw to challenge next season.
We need far more than 2-3 players!

It's the squad that needs changing. When siggurdson and Davies are your back up options then that's the issue. Will take 2 years at least to get anywhere near challenging up there but if we can get top 4 (which is very doable if the season goes the way of last season points wise) then instead of signing James and Allan we can aim for even better players.

The goal should always be making the first 11 second choice in terms of quality. The city second 11 would have a very good season themselves , so that's the aim.

Europe is a must but champions League , as much as that is a wild fantasy right now , would revolutionise this club far more than it would have done under Moyes. If we can stay top of the league for as long as we can as well, well imagine Carlo selling that to potential players next summer!

It’s days like yesterday you get a true understanding of just how many sport broadcast companies are infested with their ‘supporters’. I’ve literally never seen so many replays of a tackle before than I did yesterday after VVDs injury. I’ve never seen so much footage dedicated to a player leaving the field, you could have played ‘Everybody Hurts’ track to it, it was that long. I’ve never seen so much time dedicated to talking about the injury during half time and after the game, I’ve never heard commentators persistently mention it every two minutes during the game. It was absolutely pathetic. BT Sport showed their true colours yesterday. But you only need to look at all their ‘pundits’ and commentators to see where their bias lies.

I will tell you why it is. Without VVD they are goosed. They are not winning anything with that defense and so you get all the OTT cryarse from their puppet mouthpieces (BT live coverage abhorrent, BBC MOTD an utter disgrace last night).

Wasn't so long go you were all screaming for Lloris to be dropped. I'll take Pickford if we can stay top of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.