2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the lad has been injured, then that is genuinely unfortunate. As a former amateur keeper myself, I saw nothing wrong with Pickford's challenge. He spread himself to block the ball as he is entitled to do. There was nothing malicious in it. If he missed the ball and caught the man, then he would have conceded a penalty, but the ball was dead. No penalty. And no malice. Just brave goalkeeping.

I'm sorry, but VVD is in no position to point the finger at Pickford when he cynically put a "reducer" in on James in the first minute with ZERO intent to play the ball and full intent to target our best player. As Harald "Toni" Schumacher points out in his incendiary autobiography, smaller goalkeepers have to be more aggressive to earn the respect of opponents. Pickford imposed himself on this situation. The injury is an unfortunate hazard of the job. God knows, we have suffered enough of them.

I'd fault Pickford for plenty more before criticising him for making a barrier of himself and discomoding an opponent who deliberately sought to take out a gifted player in the first play of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.