Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem will be december - you cant fight on all fronts playing 3 games a week and juggling a big cup quarter final with the same players unless you want to risk muscle injuries.

Its all well and good playing Richarlison central to rest DCL but that still means Richarlison will have not been rested and so on.

Im astonished we didnt bring another forward in even on loan if funds weren't there to bring in someone Carlo would want in the squad long term.

Can I just ask about this 3 games a week thing?

In December, league wise, we play 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th, 28th.
League Cup 22nd.

So you are stressing about the games from the 22nd, as for all the others they have a full week recovery. Thats 3 games. You are going on as if all December we have 3 games every week. We literally have 3 games in a week once, and then its the transfer window. We will cope.

Anyone disappointed we didnt go in for Benrhama? Looks a skillful player - like an upgraded Bernard (with a shot on him).

Be interesting how he fares in the premier league.

Anyone disappointed we didnt go in for Benrhama? Looks a skillful player - like an upgraded Bernard (with a shot on him).

Be interesting how he fares in the premier league.

I'd rather have gone for him than king, but don't think we have missed out. He will be exciting for a few games but its telling that its only a team like West ham that wanted him.

I don’t think that would happen.
You know what I mean though. There are days when it’s just not happening for a player, or they’re not fully fit or whatever, and you just want to roll the dice. Not that he ever did anything, but our first move when chasing a goal last season was usually to bring Kean on. It just feels like we don’t have that option now. It’s not ideal but fingers crossed we get away with it.

Perhaps we would have gone for somebody if the right person was available - given the volatile market and size of the squad you can see why we didn't. It would be good to see Gordon and even Simms get some time on the pitch - perhaps less intimidating this season due to lack of crowds too. We also have to give Iwobi some sort of chance as he is an investment - perhaps young enough to improve under Carlo.

Can see both sides on this to be honest. Obviously your back up will always be worse than your first choice, that’s fine. My issue is that we don’t really have a back up. There’s no drop off because there’s just nothing there. Imagine a full Goodison reacting to iwobi coming on for Richarlison at 1-0 down. Wouldn’t be pretty would it, but that’s where we are. I’m not fuming about it, it is what it is, but there’s no point pretending we’re not short of options up top because we clearly are.
I get this point, but I think they prefer to keep the powder dry rather than to spend on a player that’s not really a long term solution. The ideal candidate is a younger player eager to learn their trade. Kean sort of fit that bill, but obviously wasn’t happy. I’m guessing that the loan had something to do with keepping his agent sweet for future dealings.
King was not the answer. Next summer we will sort that area out.
lm not going to criticisehis summers dealings because they have been exceptional.

Can I just ask about this 3 games a week thing?

In December, league wise, we play 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th, 28th.
League Cup 22nd.

So you are stressing about the games from the 22nd, as for all the others they have a full week recovery. Thats 3 games. You are going on as if all December we have 3 games every week. We literally have 3 games in a week once, and then its the transfer window. We will cope.
Every other team has the same problem, and if they are in Europe even more.

United, Arsenal, Spurs all have 9 games.
Liverpool and Chelsea have 8.
Leicester have 8.
We have 6. So do Wolves.

Last edited:
I get this point, but I think they prefer to keep the powder dry rather than to spend on a player that’s not really a long term solution. The ideal candidate is a younger player eager to learn their trade. Kean sort of fit that bill, but obviously wasn’t happy. I’m guessing that the loan had something to do with keepping his agent sweet for future dealings.
King was not the answer. Next summer we will sort that area out.
lm not going to criticisehis summers dealings because they have been exceptional.
Yeah I’m the same. If we’d had the sort of start we had last year I’d probably have steam coming out of my ears but after 7 wins in 7 it’s hard to be annoyed. I think it’s an issue that could come back to bite us, but if we have a bit of luck it might not. Fingers crossed we have some luck for once.

I'd rather have gone for him than king, but don't think we have missed out. He will be exciting for a few games but its telling that its only a team like West ham that wanted him.
Yep. Agree. I wonder if he'll struggle after defenders have worked out his back heel turn nutmeg trick! (Basically they'll just smash him!)

...or he'll become the next Messi!

We badly needed a back up forward. People suggesting Tosun are having a laugh. Shocked Carlo let us so short of back up attacking options other than a kid with no prem experience
All kids have no Prem experience at one point.
Until they actually play no one knows if they are good enough.
If Carlo has seen suffient in young Simms then who is to argue with him. If he needed game time at a lower level then Carlo would have loaned him out. Him still being here and around the the 1st team might suggest Carlo trusts him and sees him a better option than any forwards that where available to suit his system this window.
Think we just have to trust the manager with this one.

You know what I mean though. There are days when it’s just not happening for a player, or they’re not fully fit or whatever, and you just want to roll the dice. Not that he ever did anything, but our first move when chasing a goal last season was usually to bring Kean on. It just feels like we don’t have that option now. It’s not ideal but fingers crossed we get away with it.

While there is no doubt it's a problem, I would put it into the "1st world problems" camp. And that doesn't mean we should automatically ignore it, because if we become a "1st world" team these are going to increasingly become the challenges we have. We need players who can provide competition, variety and versatility in the squad. As you've said, it's partly why Liverpool have Origi and Shaqiri in their squad, both offer something markedly different.

The club had more pressing needs this summer which is good we addressed. I do believe, even with our owners there is a finite amount of money, so I can understand the decisions taken. However it would have been lovely to haveJosh King here, and if DCL/Richarlinson gets injuredit will impact us (as will James, though I'm not really sure King would be much of a substitute for what he offers).

We badly needed a back up forward. People suggesting Tosun are having a laugh. Shocked Carlo let us so short of back up attacking options other than a kid with no prem experience
I think we will get a backup striker in January. For now Richy will provide cover for DCL with Gordon or Iwobi backing up Richy’s position.

Tosun can GTF

Status
Not open for further replies.