Best atmosphere at Goodison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that witnessed that magical night under the lights at Goodison with the defeat of the German champions Bayern Munich. The atmosphere for me will remain the best as long as I live. Can any one recall anything as near to it? I do remember the night we knocked Southampton out of the FA cup with Eammon O'Keefe's winner in front of 58, 000 fans inside and the gates being locked before kick off. That atmosphere was electric. Any other memories from blues?
That wasn’t so much ecstasy, more relief that everyone was going to be put out of their misery. We’d have gone mental if Southampton had scored, the game was that dire..

Only a few on here will remember, ‘cause it was a long time ago, Evertonians know how to celebrate and even rally the team when they are on the floor, I’m going back to the cup run in 1953, I’ll understand if you’ve stopped reading!! Anyway home to United, one of the top dogs in Div 1,beating us 1-0, we get back to 1-1, then Davy Hickson takes over, battering and hammering their defence from every angle, 76,000 fans in the ground with all the Blues screaming, shouting and roaring us on, Davy suffers a bad cut, goes off, comes back on with head bandaged up, tries a header soon as he’s back on, opens the wound up, bandage is soon a deep red, the volume of the crowd is high and going berserk, a cross comes in, Davy is up there leaping and bangs the ball in with his head and blood soaked bandage, the pitch is swarmed at the goal and again at the end of the game.

Same season semi final at Maine Road v Bolton, another massive crowd, 75,000, half time 4-0 to Bolton, Everton trudge off, heads down, come back on after the interval to massive roars from the Bluenoses, keep the noise up, 1-4, roars get louder, 2-4, volume goes up, 3-4 the noise is unbelievable, Bolton are wobbling, kicking the ball anywhere to get some relief, Everton keep the pressure on inspired and invigorated by these fantastic supporters, we lose but Everton fans get some great write ups in the papers for their massive support and belief that we could come back from a hammering and nearly snatch a victory.

I’ve seen Everton crowds do that many, many times since but it all began for me, how brilliant we can be, in that season, and when we all get back into the ground we’ll do it all again, especially with this emerging team. “It’s a grand old team play for,and it’s a grand old team to support”

Everton v Liverpool 1948/49. Score 1 - 1 Goodison's record crowd over 78,000. Not only couldn't you move that day, you couldn't hear yourself think. As I remember, a draw was a fair result. Can't remember who scored for Liverpool but Jock Dodds scored a penalty for Everton.
I think it might have been another penalty, either Willie Fagan or Jackie Balmer, I was in the boys pen that day eight years of age.

I think you are right with Jackie Balmer (he lived not far from us - in a council house. How times change.) We were in the boys' pen together then. I was 12. Really good to find someone else who was there.
You wasn’t the lad I lent a tanner to, for his bus fare home, was you? a tanner was nearly 3p in today’s money, that’s some interest on it after 72 years!!

You wasn’t the lad I lent a tanner to, for his bus fare home, was you? a tanner was nearly 3p in today’s money, that’s some interest on it after 72 years!!
No, we always walked home from Goodison. We lived on Walton Hall Avenue on the opposite side to Littlewoods Pools. We always took a tennis ball to games and went through Walton Hall park so we could have a kick-about. A tanner was a lot for a bus fare? Must have been a long journey. Most journey's were only 1d or 2d. My grandad was an Inspector on the trams. We always looked out for him as we got a free ride if he was on the same tram.

I used to stay at a mate's gaff...Pansy St in Walton. Phil was one of the toughest blokes you could meet and I always thought him living in a street called Pansy was totally contradictory

lol, yes mate, that's the reason I used to make love at The Adelphi...I couldn't bring birds home to Phil's gaff because his ma (Mary) would have frowned upon that.

For those that witnessed that magical night under the lights at Goodison with the defeat of the German champions Bayern Munich. The atmosphere for me will remain the best as long as I live. Can any one recall anything as near to it? I do remember the night we knocked Southampton out of the FA cup with Eammon O'Keefe's winner in front of 58, 000 fans inside and the gates being locked before kick off. That atmosphere was electric. Any other memories from blues?
All the above mention

Alan Balls Derby Debut in Aug 1966...no lights obvs.

FA Cup replay 1964 Vs the Proto Dirty Leeds, Jimmy Gabriel gave a Conan the Destroyer performance at Centre Foreward, the whole team ripped Leeds a new one and the crowd was in 100% bear pit mode and pulled it over their heads

They did not like it up em.

The next time we played them at home Revie came to get his retaliation in first...which we fell for...and we got the so called Battle of Goodison

The crowd was so incensed at the snidey shithousery tactics and the Reffs inability to deal with it it was as close to a riot as I've ever seen...Imagine the scenes at Hibbos Testimonial...but in a very, very, bad way...which is why he took the teams off

Last edited:
Fiorentina when Arteta’s goal went in was brilliant. Then we lost.

Ya I was in lower bullins for that and it went nuts. I would normally have sat gwladys gt4 and would have been used to getting messy for big goals but I must say I was impressed by the bullins faithful for artetas goal. I got stood on.

Status
Not open for further replies.