Old / New Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember my Grandad taking me for my first game v Nottingham Forest in 1977, before we left my Nan told me to be careful as people would roll an Echo up and pee in my pocket.

We lost 3-1 but I remember laughing seeing the Gwladys go absolutely bonkers when we scored.
There's lots of nostalgia about terracing now, and I do miss parts of standing up at the match. Not being freezing during winter matches mostly...

Regularly seeing piss flowing down to the front of the terrace is not a fond memory however

First game April 1965 Aston Villa reserves at home in old Goodison Road Stand.
First game I have a proper memory of was January 1966 home versus Sunderland in FA Cup 3rd round 3-0 win on the way to Wembley win that summer! Was not at Wembley that May but the reception for the team on the Sunday bringing home the Cup was out of this world. Was on Everton Valley.
First away Burnley January 1967, lost 2-1 I think. Did not feel my toes again until about April!!! Bumped about on back seat of Ford Zephyr, no seat belt haha!!
Point of no return as a Blue was at OT 1968 beating Leeds 1-0 in FA semi final. Was at Wembley for the final. The less said about that the better. Was still crying myself to sleep on the Thursday!!!
Nirvana 1st April 1970, Everton 2 West Brom 0!!!! Champions at Goodison in front of nearly 60,000 delirious fans.

The sale of Ball, the ups and downs of the 70s, semis and finals, Moenchen Gladbach, Panathanaikos, Clive Thomas and all.
The magical 80s team denied their European glory beyond that brilliant night in Rotterdam which I missed because of work having missed the home leg too. No problem, there will be more with this team!!!!
the disgraceful relegation scares, Joe Royle and co in 1995.
The drift downwards in the 2000s, the bounce back under Moyes, the pure injustice of Collina, the roller coaster of Martinez to Silva and now, once again, a glimmer of hope for the future.
Brilliant night matches at Goodison, cup semi finals at Villa and Elland Road, Spurs away 1985.
Hopes? That this new era brings a bit more School of Science to the young generation including my lad who has seen so little of what I have and yet still bleeds blue.
Come on Carlo, make it happen!!!!

First game April 1965 Aston Villa reserves at home in old Goodison Road Stand.
First game I have a proper memory of was January 1966 home versus Sunderland in FA Cup 3rd round 3-0 win on the way to Wembley win that summer! Was not at Wembley that May but the reception for the team on the Sunday bringing home the Cup was out of this world. Was on Everton Valley.
First away Burnley January 1967, lost 2-1 I think. Did not feel my toes again until about April!!! Bumped about on back seat of Ford Zephyr, no seat belt haha!!
Point of no return as a Blue was at OT 1968 beating Leeds 1-0 in FA semi final. Was at Wembley for the final. The less said about that the better. Was still crying myself to sleep on the Thursday!!!
Nirvana 1st April 1970, Everton 2 West Brom 0!!!! Champions at Goodison in front of nearly 60,000 delirious fans.

The sale of Ball, the ups and downs of the 70s, semis and finals, Moenchen Gladbach, Panathanaikos, Clive Thomas and all.
The magical 80s team denied their European glory beyond that brilliant night in Rotterdam which I missed because of work having missed the home leg too. No problem, there will be more with this team!!!!
the disgraceful relegation scares, Joe Royle and co in 1995.
The drift downwards in the 2000s, the bounce back under Moyes, the pure injustice of Collina, the roller coaster of Martinez to Silva and now, once again, a glimmer of hope for the future.
Brilliant night matches at Goodison, cup semi finals at Villa and Elland Road, Spurs away 1985.
Hopes? That this new era brings a bit more School of Science to the young generation including my lad who has seen so little of what I have and yet still bleeds blue.
Come on Carlo, make it happen!!!!
My first game aged five was the first leg v Panathinaikos(the beginning of the end of the great 1960's side),my first derby was December 1973 at Goodison,Mick Lyons had a header "mysteriously" disallowed(sounds familiar?:(lol)They fluke a winner by "legend"Alan Waddle,1974-75,the nearly season,Carlisle/Luton etc, first derby at the pit Floorcloth wins it at the death for them,Wembley 1977,then the two replays, heartache at OT,then the Treorchy terror at Maine Road we will never forgive or forget!!,Kingy RIP(Thank you Lord!!)and a couple of good years with Latch,Dobbo and the rest just falling short, Elland Road and Lampards little dance, seeing Big Mick in tears afterwards(last chance saloon)OT again defeat in the cup, but the belief something was emerging, we had to wait, the dark days of November/December 1983 then the glorious Royal Blue Renaissance,how we revelled in its glory, we thought it would never end, then the tragedy of Heysel,RIP the 39,which to this day we have not recovered from, the gradual downturn in fortunes almost leading to the apocolypse of relegation(Thanks Hans(this will never happen again we were told)four years later it nearly did,Coventry(Thanks Gareth!!),Moyes and no dough, building a decent side, just that ingredient,"luck" again missing for us, then treading water pretty much apart from a decent 2015,now Carlo and hopefully the "real deal" with the backing the Mosh and his "friend" are giving us, as I write this we are top of the tree, playing some fabulous football that none of us can be present to watch(Everton that!!) but hope springs eternal, can we?will we?God I hope so,the one constant through it all has been the marvellous backing, home,away and abroad of us Evertonians,of which after everything I have witnessed it is still an honour and a privilege to count myself as One,Onwards and Upwards,COYB.

Last edited:

I remember going Coventry at the start of the 86 season and Andy Gray came in and sat with the away crowd.
"Ronnie Corbet" was on our coach.
Our ronnie looks like this ronnie

Attachments

• Ronnie-Corbett_glamour_18may13_rexfeatures_b.jpg
    Ronnie-Corbett_glamour_18may13_rexfeatures_b.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 52
My first game aged five was the first leg v Panathinaikos(the beginning of the end of the great 1960's side),my first derby was December 1973 at Goodison,Mick Lyons had a header "mysteriously" disallowed(sounds familiar?:(lol)They fluke a winner by "legend"Alan Waddle,1974-75,the nearly season,Carlisle/Luton etc, first derby at the pit Floorcloth wins it at the death for them,Wembley 1977,then the two replays, heartache at OT,then the Treorchy terror at Maine Road we will never forgive or forget!!,Kingy RIP(Thank you Lord!!)and a couple of good years with Latch,Dobbo and the rest just falling short, Elland Road and Lampards little dance, seeing Big Mick in tears afterwards(last chance saloon)OT again defeat in the cup, but the belief something was emerging, we had to wait, the dark days of November/December 1983 then the glorious Royal Blue Renaissance,how we revelled in its glory, we thought it would never end, then the tragedy of Heysel,RIP the 39,which to this day we have not recovered from, the gradual downturn in fortunes almost leading to the apocolypse of relegation(Thanks Hans(this will never happen again we were told)four years later it nearly did,Coventry(Thanks Gareth!!),Moyes and no dough, building a decent side, just that ingredient,"luck" again missing for us, then treading water pretty much apart from a decent 2015,now Carlo and hopefully the "real deal" with the backing the Mosh and his "friend" are giving us, as I write this we are top of the tree, playing some fabulous football that none of us can be present to watch(Everton that!!) but hope springs eternal, can we?will we?God I hope so,the one constant through it all has been the marvellous backing, home,away and abroad of us Evertonians,of which after everything I have witnessed it is still an honour and a privilege to count myself as One,Onwards and Upwards,COYB.
Big mick wasn't the only one crying.

So your our Jinx then .......joking I never got to that game yetsenn us beat BM the great German team - it was either that game plus the away leg .,.....

I was first taken by my uncle Phil in 1950 as a babe in arms and he did his best to see I remained a blue as my step dad was a red ( He was the main reason I hate them because I went home and away for 25 years and he never went to a single match and still saw fit to get on a pedestal ) I hate them with a vengeance .
My memories are many and varied from the Rotterdam trip including Wembley on a coach with guys who were drunk leaving Everton Valley until we landed back after the final 5 days later ! Standing as a youth on the paddock when it was so packed that I could lift my legs up and not drop down .
Watching the one and only Alan Ball and the heartbreak on finishing a nightshift at Vauxhalls to be greeted by the day shift with the Mirror and the headline that he had gone ,I still remember the numbness I felt ,the feeling that the bottom of my world had fell out ,I was more than gutted .
To the memory of the first time Hamez got the ball and we all could see that something in our team had changed ,something more than just another name on the team sheet ,something I haven't felt for way too long .I hope those memories will be made for the younger supporters to taste that sweet sweet taste of success as others on here have .

I remember burning my mouth on a meat and potato pie in the gladwys street in 1995 and still haven’t recovered. I refuse to eat any of them molten lava pies anymore.
I remember in the 1960s you got a decent sayers pie and a bottle of brown ale at a reasonable price.........the food was excellent there too not much of a queue........

Remember my Grandad taking me for my first game v Nottingham Forest in 1977, before we left my Nan told me to be careful as people would roll an Echo up and pee in my pocket.

We lost 3-1 but I remember laughing seeing the Gwladys go absolutely bonkers when we scored.
My first game too. No clear memory of the footie just the sensations. The smell of cigar smoke mixed with the smell of onions from the hamburger and hotdog stands. Those smells are like a time machine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.