Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Romero is a fair bit better than the other two.

He is, but he isn't 'top quality' like some make out, mate.

It's not night and day.

I've said all along that as far as stop gaps go he'd be my first choice. But if the deal isn't there - because of United - what can we do? We haven't got the money or time to go and get someone's first-choice goalkeeper so whatever it is is a stop gap at this point.

Unfortunately that was it.

Allan, Doucoure and James Rodriguez or replace Pickford with a top-quality goalkeeper.

The alternative was a late deal for a goalkeeper to come in and replace Lossl as second choice and be better than Lossl to add competition / replace Pickford if needed for the season.

Romero isn't a top-quality goalkeeper and neither are Olsen or Gazzaniga.
Your missing Godfrey our new 25m u21 captain. Clearing up Walsh's mistakes should not be underappreciated either.

Pickford really isn't the worst keeper in the league - which we are top of, with him in goal. He does make daft mistakes, he also makes good saves.
Would you want him in goal for a match deciding a CL place?
Can you see him being part of a PL winning team?
How would you feel if he was goalie in a CL final?

Because they clearly think Lossl is dreadful and they want someone who can push Pickford.

They don't think that's Lossl, so they need someone else.

Romero is probably the first choice but United are refusing to do the deal we want.

It's also a stop-gap I imagine we didn't think we'd need but Pickford's start to the season has forced our hand.
Why leave it until today, though? It can't just be his howler against Brighton, his performances have been dire for ages and Lossl hasn't played at all so it's not that they've just figured out that he is mince as well. It's the timing I can't figure out. It really has left us with dross to choose from. Unless Romero's Mrs can set him free!

The problem is that he’s trending downwards.

I’ve been willing him to come good for ages, but he’s just getting worse. He dropped more than one clanger at the weekend, it wasn’t just the goal, and that’s not even the first time this season he’s made several major mistakes in one match.

There are much better keepers out there - he's also not the only one under pressure - Kepa, DeGea come to mind
Would you want him in goal for a match deciding a CL place?
Can you see him being part of a PL winning team?
How would you feel if he was goalie in a CL final?

I don't think he is at that level, no - it would cost us to find one that good to go straight into the team.

He's a mid-table keeper that played for a really poor side last season and still looks shaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.