2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years he's been asked to chase everything, dead balls the lot, run the channels, It's why Moyes forwards always had poor returns. Like old Cloughie used to say "get into the box and score some goals young man"

In fairness when we had a decent striker like Yakubu his goal return was fine. Jelavic also just used to hang in the box and his goal return was alright as well. For a lot of Moyes’ time we just had an absolutely rubbish team behind the striker. Now DCL can just loiter in the box but imagine doing that in some of the early 2000s teams, he’d never see the ball and we’d be calling him lazy.

In fairness when we had a decent striker like Yakubu his goal return was fine. Jelavic also just used to hang in the box and his goal return was alright as well. For a lot of Moyes’ time we just had an absolutely rubbish team behind the striker. Now DCL can just loiter in the box but imagine doing that in some of the early 2000s teams, he’d never see the ball and we’d be calling him lazy.
Yeah but we had the same problems that most of the time the CF wasn't in the middle they were always out wide and a lot of them were unsuited to that game, Beattie running channels for instance. jelavic started off well, in the box and first touch finishes but as he was asked to do more his productivity fell in front of goal, it's not a coincidence.

Another good game.

Contributed next to nothing outside the box, but that's not his job. These things are extremely difficult for a lone striker to do without any help anyway.

His job is to be in the box to score goals. I'm glad now that the weird ideas about the striker role we collected to support the strange agendas of the past are being abandoned for the correct Ancelotti understanding of the role.

Another good game.

Contributed next to nothing outside the box, but that's not his job. These things are extremely difficult for a lone striker to do without any help anyway.

His job is to be in the box to score goals. I'm glad now that the weird ideas about the striker role we collected to support the strange agendas of the past are being abandoned for the correct Ancelotti understanding of the role.

When the ball is played down the line to Calvert Lewin late on a game I’m confident he’ll either draw a foul, win a throw in, or shield it effectively and keep possession. Richarlison is the same. I can’t say the same about Iwobi, Davies, Siggurdson, Bernard, Walcott who are all more likely to lose the ball. DCL gets question marks on his technique but from my perspective his first touch is good, he’s incredible in the air, his hold up play is good, his link up play isn’t bad either. There’s literally his dribbling and outside of the box finishes that are two question marks against him but seriously how many strikers have every single box ticked? Even Lewandowski doesn’t dribble or get that many outside the area and he’s one of the best number 9s of all time. Perhaps Shearer was one of the few who had everything but he’s the greatest striker in prem history with a goal record playing for poor teams that even Aguero Henry Drogba Kane can’t get anywhere near at good teams.

When the ball is played down the line to Calvert Lewin late on a game I’m confident he’ll either draw a foul, win a throw in, or shield it effectively and keep possession. Richarlison is the same. I can’t say the same about Iwobi, Davies, Siggurdson, Bernard, Walcott who are all more likely to lose the ball. DCL gets question marks on his technique but from my perspective his first touch is good, he’s incredible in the air, his hold up play is good, his link up play isn’t bad either. There’s literally his dribbling and outside of the box finishes that are two question marks against him but seriously how many strikers have every single box ticked? Even Lewandowski doesn’t dribble or get that many outside the area and he’s one of the best number 9s of all time. Perhaps Shearer was one of the few who had everything but he’s the greatest striker in prem history with a goal record playing for poor teams that even Aguero Henry Drogba Kane can’t get anywhere near at good teams.

He struggled with hold-up play yesterday, but it's actually extremely difficult to do with any consistency when you're a lone striker and teams can afford to stick one or two centre backs on you all game. He lost a lot of ball yesterday, particularly in the second half, but it's a bit of a thankless task and he shouldn't be slated for it.

On the bolded, great point. Barely any. We're talking a tiny handful in the last 30 years.

Positioning may not be, but hitting straight at keepers and missing the header and still scoring is luck.

Lets not kid ourselves... he has missed 2 absolute sitters in the last 2 games

He smashed it in mate. The keeper had no chance, the power was too much. Not sure what the missed header was either, I saw him power one in with the back of his head, despite the ball being behind him. It was a world class finish from what is now, absoutely unquestionably a world class striker.

That £80m figure he was worth at the start of the season? We will be doubling it soon.

Its the variance and consistency of his goals so far this season that has impressed me. Headers, taps ins and some good slotting, week in, week out.

Hes developed hugely all credit to him and Carlo.

You can see why Carlo is paid so much, he will turn a 30 mill player into 100mill player. To be fair DCL always strikes me as a really hard worker to.

Status
Not open for further replies.