League Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woolverhampton_Blue

Player Valuation: £35m
Seems a bit of a controversial one this does.

Lots of supporters (including many of ours) don’t value this at all. However we haven’t won a pot in 25 years - we’ve never actually won this once.

Last ten winners:

2020 - Man City
2019 - Man City
2018 - Man City
2017 - Man Utd
2016 - Man City
2015 - Chelsea
2014 - Man City
2013 - Swansea City
2012 - Liverpool
2011 - Birmingham City

All the usual suspects apart from Swansea and Birmingham.

I’d love to see us throw everything at this. Let the squad experience winning something. Let the fans have a long overdue day in the sun. Break our duck and put at least one poxy League Cup on the honours list.

How do you feel about it?

Seems a bit of a controversial one this does.

Lots of supporters (including many of ours) don’t value this at all. However we haven’t won a pot in 25 years - we’ve never actually won this once.

Last ten winners:

2020 - Man City
2019 - Man City
2018 - Man City
2017 - Man Utd
2016 - Man City
2015 - Chelsea
2014 - Man City
2013 - Swansea City
2012 - Liverpool
2011 - Birmingham City

All the usual suspects apart from Swansea and Birmingham.

I’d love to see us throw everything at this. Let the squad experience winning something. Let the fans have a long overdue day in the sun. Break our duck and put at least one poxy League Cup on the honours list.

How do you feel about it?
Not much sun in feb or March or when ever it is :blush:

if I'm honest both cups are absolutely worthless in the modern game, The prestige of winning either two gets smaller and smaller every year but yes I would like to see some silverware in my lifetime at least even if it is one of these crappy cups.

if I'm honest both cups are absolutely worthless in the modern game, The prestige of winning either two gets smaller and smaller every year but yes I would like to see some silverware in my lifetime at least even if it is one of these crappy cups.
But there not, there bigger then they have ever been, which is why top 6 clubs and managers go for it.
Years ago the league often had several potential winners, now it's a two horse race. But the other clubs want silverware too.
In the past decade, 2 cups, that's 20x winners, how many of those 20 honours have gone outside the top 6?
Big clubs win stuff, if we want to consider ourselves a big club again we need to also put pots in the trophy cabinet.

I wouldn't say the cups are not important. They are a realistic goal for a team like Everton.

Having said that, when you have a thin squad when it comes to depth, you MUST play the bench early in on these cups.

I mentioned it before in the Salford match thread.

1. The main players need to be rested as much as they can and avoid lagging too many unnecessary minutes. Keep them as fresh as possible.

2. While players can get injured during any game or even practice, no need to add unnecessary risk of playing them. While I don't think lower division teams are dirty, they do rely more on physicality than skill and a bad njury can happen.

3. The bench players need action to stay engaged. The addition of 3 signings pushed 3 starters to the bench and some bench players even further down in the pecking order. It is very demoralizing for a player that was a starter to not be able to play even against a league 2 team. You also wanna keep the bench guys sharp and fit so that they are ready in case you need them later on.

In summary, absolutely go for it. The team is unlikely to win the league unless all stars align and are not in the European cups. But be careful and mix things up while you can to avoid fatigue, injuries, and to keep as much of the squad engaged for the season.

I have a pathological fear of London and indeed all cup finals, so I'd rather we just give it a miss tbh.

...I'm only joking, of course we should be going all out for it but while there are so many games in a short space of time and we are playing lower division teams we have to be cute about who we play. God forbid we get a few injuries from overplaying the first team as you've seen the players who come in if that happens.

If one of the fixtures in this upcoming round had of been city v RS then it might have changed my mind though.

Go full at this because of the draw

we’ve plenty of rest in October and November

players are paid a lot of money so play them to do their jobs

We should be going for it to give that feeling of winning atrophy, it can't be underestimated how powerful a drug that is to players and fans alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.