2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, I sort of agree with you, there's no way JR comes if Carlo is not here. However. part of being a DOF is working in unison with the manager, and you do know it's not impossible for two people to agree that a player is worth signing. yes?
Brands' relationship with Silva was different to the one he has with Ancelotti. He's had to take a step back this windoe and allow others to identify and secure targets...something he had a lot more of a hand in under Silva. Even the BBC have recognised this trend.

Think you should be aiming that barb at Rhino and the other reserve and youth coaches, and the previous basket case managers that we have employed - not really solely Marcel's fault that none of his young signings are worthy "yet" for the first team. Also, I think these new additions will help the kids kick on and improve.

You have to admit Davek, with Marcel working with Carlo, we've done some damage this window - they have both done their jobs really well.
Take Ancelotti out of that team and you've basically got Freddie and the Dreamers without Freddie.

Brands' relationship with Silva was different to the one he has with Ancelotti. He's had to take a step back this windoe and allow others to identify and secure targets...something he had a lot more of a hand in under Silva. Even the BBC have recognised this trend.
I never know whether half the stuff you write isn't just to melt heads, you're very good at that to be fair but surely even you must be happy with what's going on and as you already know there's more to being a DoF than just signing players.

I never know whether half the stuff you write isn't just to melt heads, you're very good at that to be fair but surely even you must be happy with what's going on and as you already know there's more to being a DoF than just signing players.
I am. Three good signings.

I just take issue with anyone not seeing the obvious shift away from the Brands' model this window to bringing in players who the manager targetted and did a lot of the legwork on along with Moshiri.

...but I recall you saying some of the signings under Silva were Silva’s and not Brands’. You can’t change your argument to suit your agenda. ‘Richarlison was a Silva signing’. I think the truth is, Silva identified targets just like Ancelotti has identified targets and Brands works to acquire them if they meet strategic requirements.

Any DoF would be mad not to tap into Ancelotti’s knowledge and reputation in identifying and then securing targets. Ancelotti will be more than happy with the DoF process, allowing him to concentrate more on on-field matters.

I’m a little on the fence with Brands but the DoF position is here to stay. It would be folly for a DoF to wear blinkers and ear plugs, he should be open-minded to suggestions re players (Unsworth apparently suggested the DCL transfer).

Last edited:

I just take issue with anyone not seeing the obvious shift away from the Brands' model this window to bringing in players who the manager targetted and did a lot of the legwork on along with Moshiri.
I understand where you're coming from but we needed fixing and I'm happy our plaster is a superstar footballer, not overly bothered who gets the plaudits really but Brands is still getting them through the door. I think we will go back to buy young potential such as Richarlison but we needed a quick fix this year there's no doubt about it.

...but I recall you saying some of the signings under Silva were Silva’s and not Brands’. You can’t change your argument to suit your agenda. ‘Richarlison was a Silva signing’. I think the truth is, Silva identified targets just like Ancelotti has identified targets and Brands works to acquire them if they meet strategic requirements.

Any DoF would be mad not to tap into Ancelotti’s knowledge and reputation in identifying and then securing targets. Ancelotti will be more than happy with the DoF process, allowing him to concentrate more on on-field matters.

I’m a little on the fence with Brands but the DoF position is here to stay. It would be folly for a DoF to wear blinkers and ear plugs, he should be open-minded to suggestions re players (Unsworth apparently suggested the DCL transfer).
I'm not. I only ever said (logically) that Richarlison was a Silva signing. The diffference now is that we've had three high profile signings all more than likely to have been Ancelotti driven and where Brands had a minor functionary role.

Brands buys generally young with potential...good, bad or indifferent as it turns out. What we've seen this window isn't that.

I don't think anyone could take issue with this post - its already obvious to most the impact that Ancelotti has had on Everton. Isn't that why we brought him in??

What blots the copybook though Dave is the concurrent demonising of Brands, as if he is now suddenly stealing a living. We are building for a great management team as well as a great footy team.

There is a slight difference though isn't there. Richarlison could have been a Silva suggestion (in my opinion it's pretty obvious that he was) but he still fit the criteria of a Brands signing. Brands had a template, which he was quite clear about, and Richarlison's profile was very much within it. The 2 confirmed signings so far don't fit it at all, and nor does the likely 3rd signing. It's fair to say then, that Dave is right that there has been a clear shift away from the supposed model. I'm not saying that to criticise Brands or saying that it's a bad thing, but I think it's pretty clear that it's definitely happened. There's no changing of the argument I don't think.

The length of contracts are sticking out to me. Allan on a 3 year deal, James 2 year with option to extend. Clearly keen to avoid being stuck with high-earners like we have been in the past - smart business when we're buying two 29 year olds.

Would imagine Doucoure would be a 4 year deal though. Done good work this summer so far, let's hope it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.