Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a false choice because I'm not advocating that we buy another Sigurdsson. Whereas I am advocating that we buy another Richarlison instead of spending that money on James. I'm not absolutely against the James deal at the right price and with the right mix of other transfers; but it's pretty clear that signing him will block the purchase of someone who could perform for us for 3-5 years and have a resale value at the end.
James is 29. He can perform for 3-5 years. Lack of resale value will be covered by the obscene sponsorship value of BMD

This is a statement signing to help bring them younger players to us going forward.

Yeah. I see it like this:

1. Buy James, Allan, players of that stripe now
  2. These players with proven ability and ostensible leadership qualities get us into the European spots
  3. Now we're a more attractive proposition for younger players with lots of upside (but we're not dependent on any single one to pan out)
  4. Virtuous upward cycle
Step 2 is the hard one for us right now. It would be nice to think that we could get there by buying cheap young players with lots of upside from Feyenoord or Zagreb or wherever, but if we get 4 kids like that maybe 1/4 turns into a true top-flight star. To make the most of Carlo while he's here we have go with the likes of James I think.

The question you are asking me in general terms is this: how has any team (excluding Man City, PSG and Chelsea), that isn't consistently in Europe, managed to dramatically improve their on-pitch fortunes in the last decade? Or conversely, how have teams managed to completely blow the standing they once had?

Spurs, Leicester and Wolves have managed to do this in our league; direct competitors. RBL, Lille and Lyon have done it slightly differently in different leagues, but still around recruitment and talent pipelines.

The best examples of the opposite are United or Arsenal -- terrible recruitment of ageing and/or substandard players, not replacing the quality that left.

On Vlasic, Lookman etc: doing the right thing badly doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do.
weve got richarlison, Holgate, DCL, Gordon, Branthwaite, Kean all in and around the first team. Not to mention the other lads like Davies and JJK who will be sold for a decent whack and have come through the first team.

plus the likes of digne, Mina, Gomes, Pickford, bernard and Keane who will all being in at least what we paid for them.

We don’t *just* need to buy and develop. We need experience. It’s what we are massively lacking.

the three players mentioned will massively impact the team, will make it easier to sign players and might get us into Europe.

We have plenty of resale value in the squad. You don’t need EVERY player to have resale value. You need depth of experience in a squad.

And we desperately need to start performing and not be less than the sum of our parts. Allan, Doucoure and James will make all around them better. We’ll score more and concede less and be more competitive.

Last edited:

I’m sorry but this reeks to me of a Moshiri/Uzmanov vanity project, if true.

I can’t see how this is a Brands type signing, maybe Ancelotti likes him but surely his injury record is a huge red flag. Why do we have a DoF at all….

Another player coming to Everton for their last big pay day.

Our record with this type of signing lately has been awful, Walcott, Siggy, Williams, etc

He is the type of player that you need to build a team around, but how can you build a team around a guy who is constantly injured?

I’d much prefer a young, exciting, hungry winger that easily fits into a 442 which clearly is Ancelotti’s preferred formation

I can’t see how this is a Brands type signing, maybe Ancelotti likes him but surely his injury record is a huge red flag. Why do we have a DoF at all….

Our record with this type of signing lately has been awful, Walcott, Siggy, Williams, etc

He is the type of player that you need to build a team around, but how can you build a team around a guy who is constantly injured?

I’d much prefer a young, exciting, hungry winger that easily fits into a 442 which clearly is Ancelotti’s preferred formation

I hope it is a Moshiri/usmanov project

Cos we will be going places

I like how you've tried to include Ashley Williams alongside James Rodriguez there. Top work.

Hahahahahah

would serve as an excellent mentor to Gordon. interesting option here. Get 2 good years out of him adn then hand the torch over to the young lad.

Would also be nice to finally have a player who doesn't hide from big moments and big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.