Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some on here are advocating exactly what got us into a mess in the first place , despite having the luxury of a billionaire backer (s).
The buys will come , but we should NOT just buy for the sake of buying , if the players are not good enough , or don't fit the system.
The club needs to also look to the medium term.
And whether bedwetters like the term or not , that is what many are !.
Covid has complicated all sorts of things , but I would ask you a question re working a way through this.
Who would you trust to work a way through the financial problems . A billionaire in his own right , who is the financial adviser to an uber billionaire , or someone gobbing off on here ?

I take the point and hope you are right to be relaxed but how many times have we left it till the deadline or the week before and how many times has that worked out for us? I see a pattern of poor preseason against weak opposition and with key players not having arrived, and yes this year it will be shortened which means we need that key player in within the next few weeks.
Pre season can only be against English teams I presume so would

City - a prospect
Liverpool- a reserve left back
Soton- young prospect
Chelsea- 2 mains before the window.

Yep lots of activity :oops:
Thing is we want to be fighting against these clubs for Europe, let's not forget Southampton finished above us & Hojbjerg was our first choice who didn't come here

Just frustrating seeing other clubs we should be battling making good signings

23 players in Brands preferred squad size
£100mil budget for wages

=£83,600 weekly average player salary

You dont think thats competitive :eek:
If you have your first choice 11 players on an average £100k, your 7 subs on an average £80k then your 5 squad players on an average £50k it puts you on £99.3m wages budget for the year. For a club like Everton at this current time, I think that probably looks about right but if we want to be pushing for regular top 6 and European football then those numbers are only going to increase.

I take the point and hope you are right to be relaxed but how many times have we left it till the deadline or the week before and how many times has that worked out for us? I see a pattern of poor preseason against weak opposition and with key players not having arrived, and yes this year it will be shortened which means we need that key player in within the next few weeks.

I'm not disagreeing. We should - we need to - have players in for the start of the season, ideally by the middle of pre-season.

But until the last week of pre-season when we're fully preparing for the new campaign to start, it seems daft to get stressed about things just yet because we don't know what is or isn't happening, or the factors that are now in play.

For me, Brands is on thin, thin ice, but I also appreciate there's a ton of work which needs to be done and we're laboured by past spending (a lot of which isn't on him).

Literally. They see the squad, see the history and all the terrible records we keep breaking and say the accept that most of the squad needs replacing but still inexplicably get a sad on when someone dares to say that it’s pretty unlikely we’re going to get top 6
Nothing wrong with trying to stay positive mate

I'm not disagreeing. We should - we need to - have players in for the start of the season, ideally by the middle of pre-season.

But until the last week of pre-season when we're fully preparing for the new campaign to start, it seems daft to get stressed about things just yet because we don't know what is or isn't happening, or the factors that are now in play.

For me, Brands is on thin, thin ice, but I also appreciate there's a ton of work which needs to be done and we're laboured by past spending (a lot of which isn't on him).
This has and always will infuriate me. Points in August(Sept this year) count JUST as much as points in May. "Lets wait until the season is about to begin and we can't use those players we bring in anyways because they need time to get up to speed"? So we sacrifice any of our early matches and have to be subjected to seeing the worst possible players I've ever seen for Everton for the first X matches.

City - a prospect
Liverpool- a reserve left back
Soton- young prospect
Chelsea- 2 mains before the window.

Yep lots of activity :oops:

? The City list isn't right- where's the winger from Valencia?

Southampton have also signed two players. The CB in particular looks interesting.

I'm not sure exactly, Hojbjerg was one I liked so that is disappointing, but I think people need to be honest about our position and Atletico's right now and why that signing makes sense for them but not so much for us.
I thought he was only worth signing as a free? Why would Atleti be interested?

Southampton have signed Ghanaian centre-back Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid for a fee of £10.9m.
The highly-rated 21-year-old, who made 32 appearances for the Spanish side last term, has signed a four-year deal.

Other clubs quietly getting on with business whilst Brands sits there with his thumb up his arse pondering a bid for Phil Jones.
Not sure how he would qualify for a work permit...

Status
Not open for further replies.