Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be this, alternately being hard over on valuations is absolutely critical if we want to avoid rinse and repeat of last 3 or 4 years. Everyone seems to concur we have overpaid in order to get players to come here rather than elsewhere and then we have an expensive flop that we can't sell.

I'd much rather miss targets and move on (every single transfer is a risk anyway) than agree to pay above what the club believes is a fair value. We can't have it both ways in terms of moaning about previous excess and waste, and the moan that the DoF refuses to budge on his valuation.

I definitely don’t think we should have our undies pulled down and pay over the top for players, especially those who haven’t even been tested at this level yet. I think that’s one thing we have all come to learn and agree on.

I do believe money is really tight at the moment, we have so much dross leaching us for millions upon millions and it’s strangulating us and it’s near on impossible for us to make deals and stay within the FFP regulations.

I genuinely don’t think we will see any real action until we start seeing more outgoings.

I definitely don’t think we should have our undies pulled down and pay over the top for players, especially those who haven’t even been tested at this level yet. I think that’s one thing we have all come to learn and agree on.

I do believe money is really tight at the moment, we have so much dross leaching us for millions upon millions and it’s strangulating us and it’s near on impossible for us to make deals and stay within the FFP regulations.

I genuinely don’t think we will see any real action until we start seeing more outgoings.

Reading the Gabriel thread tho mate, we definitely have not all learnt to agree on that point.

I want us to sign the lad, but hardly anyone here has seen him play, and even if they have he hasnt been tested at this level yet. But people are crying out for us to pay whatever it takes to bring him in...

Very few clubs have done any business yet in the league

I know this won't be comforting for much longer, but still I'm not too worried just yet.

It doesn't matter if other clubs have done business or not though, we need players and we haven't brought in anyone yet so that's all that matters,

Don't expect to have gone out and bought a whole new team yet but we do this every single season, we leave it late and our new signings end up missing the few first games of the season.

You'd have thought we'd have learnt our lesson from our past mistakes, but as a club we just seem incapable of learning.

It doesn't matter if other clubs have done business or not though, we need players and we haven't brought in anyone yet so that's all that matters,

Don't expect to have gone out and bought a whole new team yet but we do this every single season, we leave it late and our new signings end up missing the few first games of the season.

You'd have thought we'd have learnt our lesson from our past mistakes, but as a club we just seem incapable of learning.
Do you not think this pattern might be indicative of other factors at play?

I'm hoping the reason it is slow is because CL and EL haven't finished yet but it would be nice to see a new face for a boost.

The problem with Zaha coming here is, what is his motivation? He’s claiming he wants to play at a higher level, we have a crap squad and literally finished 2 places above them in the league, no trophy challenges and no European football, plus he will be offered more money than he’s already on at Palace (£130k PW). I don’t doubt he’s a talented player but if he comes here it will only be because we’ve paid him more. He doesn’t see us as a massive step up and I’d seriously doubt his effort or commitment.

I would’ve thought we’ve had enough warnings about signing 28 year olds who’ve had average Premier League careers by now.

We need more Richarlison type signings, that was what we were told the remit was for Brands, It certainly hasn't panned out like that.

People get their knickers in a twist every single summer about the way we do business, but the problem is, a mid-table club like we sadly are at the minute, can't just go out and wrap up all its business within a few days of the window opening.

Our targets (as we're seeing this summer) have their sights set on other clubs, so we have to either pay way over the odds to get them early, or we wait a little until the other interest subsides and we can make our move.

The only options to avoid this scenario are to throw loads of money at it and get deals done early (see Klaasen, Siggurdson, Keane, Pickford summer)

or

Target lesser quality of players who are not being targetted by the top clubs.

Fans wouldnt be happy with us doing either of those things, so being patient is the best option we've got.

It's not just a case of 'learn your lesson, do better next time'. Football transfers are so much more complex than that

We really could have done with him last season. Shane Duffy as well come to think of it. See Antonee Robinson is of to Sheff Utd today as well.

None are good enough for us though. Players like Michael keane had brilliant stats at burnley and is no doubt better than a few man utd defenders.
... But he'd have absolutely crumbled any time he would have stepped onto the old Trafford pitch.

All very well saying these players have good stats playing for Brighton and Sheffield United, playing here comes with a totally different pressure. They've also had extended runs at those teams which they would never have got here.

I think he would still see Everton as a step up considering he wanted to come last summer and you have the Ancelotti factor aswell.

The only other left sided wide player I would like from the league is Mcneil from Burnley as think he has the potential to become a good player.

....running past players into areas that don’t hurt the opposition might look impressive but the reality is it’s ineffective. I rarely see him busting a gut to get onto the end of a cross from the other wing, I don’t see him getting in dangerous areas off the ball.

It’s what he doesn’t do that’s important. I really hope Brands isn’t the least bit interested, there’s far more effective footballers out there for a fraction of the cost.

I know what you mean, and if it were any other year I'd be in full agreement with ya. Just think for obvious reasons this is a much different summer window than any other.

None are good enough for us though. Players like Michael keane had brilliant stats at burnley and is no doubt better than a few man utd defenders.
... But he'd have absolutely crumbled any time he would have stepped onto the old Trafford pitch.

All very well saying these players have good stats playing for Brighton and Sheffield United, playing here comes with a totally different pressure. They've also had extended runs at those teams which they would never have got here.

If Lundstram had stayed at Everton he would never have broken through

Status
Not open for further replies.