2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf, we should though. The biggest myth people spout about Everton is that we have a 'knowledgeable crowd' - seen vids of fans saying they would have sold Lukaku for £20m and he wasn't that good.

Barkley wasn't that good either but registered 9 assists in his final full season for us. Still not replaced him.

Oh, and we clapped an explayer when he scored against us.

To be fair mate i think this particular criticism can be levelled at any club and its fans.

There are plenty of thick people about.

And with social media now every idiot with a keyboard has a mouthpiece to project their opinions which then get taken to be representative of the whole fanbase

Tbf, we should though. The biggest myth people spout about Everton is that we have a 'knowledgeable crowd' - seen vids of fans saying they would have sold Lukaku for £20m and he wasn't that good.

Barkley wasn't that good either but registered 9 assists in his final full season for us. Still not replaced him.

Oh, and we clapped an explayer when he scored against us.

Everyones entitled to their opinion. Barkley's limitations have been shown. We all had so much hope for him for him being 'one of us' and having huge potential but he never kicked on.

All fanbases are the same.
All have their bedwetters, all have their own DaveK's, secondcomings, glwadysblues etc, just keen on bashing their club.
All have the few who are patient.

Ultimately, none of us could do the jobs they're doing and we dont know half of it. I only have a small taste from a media perspective having worked for Burnley and Blackburn, but even then the clubs are so big, so while you hear snippets and learn how the coaches speak (in football language), ultimately not enough to have a solid understanding.

Same way fans shout out "play 442" as if its that simple. So much is taken into account. I have a mate who works as either chief analyst or a senior analyst role, i showed a clip of tha beautiful porto goal the other week and said "some things are just indefensible, lovely goal" and immediately he picked out all teh things wrong with the defending side of it. Tonnes more than anyone on here could. I worked with him closely when we were both in smaller roles further down and the amount of work that goes into analysing each game, putting into your own teams structure is insane.

The other way of looking at is, is taht because we are only fans and not involved professionally, we can enjoy teh game more. I have a degree in TV production and whenever I watch something im always looking at it in a different view than before I did the course. Always thinking "How have they shot that etc?". The same applies for football I guess. Becuase we aren't hamemring it all day every day, we get to enjoy (or despair) Everton.

Has he ever had to make a big signing in his life? Seems to me like since he’s been here he’s had it easy in terms of getting players who are surplus at their current clubs to come here. The Iwobi deal just smacked of complete desperation, we needed a winger and couldn’t get Zaha so threw £30m at Arsenal who probably couldn’t believe their luck when Brands made the call.

Isn't that the problem? It depends on what is meant by "big" signings. In relative terms, and by our standards, he has made "big" signings, notably Kean and Iwobi, in terms of outlay. I wouldn't want anymore Iwobis, thanks.

I actually think the biggest issue is that he is too safe with signings. We can't compete at the top end of the market, and don't want to compete at the obvious bargain basement end. So he has gone for big club rejects, and established but mediocre Premier League players, and overpaid for them. That strategy has backfired spectacularly.

The only way out for us is to establish a scouting system that is amongst the very best. After two years, work on that should have been well underway. We cannot compete on any other terms, and it means for the most part, signing players that the majority of us won't have heard of. Ancelotti has already seen this, it could not be clearer.

In absolute terms, we can't afford "big" signings. Like Ancelotti has said, we can't sign superstars, we can sign players who will become superstars.

Isn't that the problem? It depends on what is meant by "big" signings. In relative terms, and by our standards, he has made "big" signings, notably Kean and Iwobi, in terms of outlay. I wouldn't want anymore Iwobis, thanks.

I actually think the biggest issue is that he is too safe with signings. We can't compete at the top end of the market, and don't want to compete at the obvious bargain basement end. So he has gone for big club rejects, and established but mediocre Premier League players, and overpaid for them. That strategy has backfired spectacularly.

The only way out for us is to establish a scouting system that is amongst the very best. After two years, work on that should have been well underway. We cannot compete on any other terms, and it means for the most part, signing players that the majority of us won't have heard of. Ancelotti has already seen this, it could not be clearer.

In absolute terms, we can't afford "big" signings. Like Ancelotti has said, we can;t sign superstars, we can sign players who will become superstars.
Speak for yourself. I think that's exactly what we have been missing. I don't even care if a player sees us as a stepping stone, I at LEAST want one who CARES what happens on the pitch. If a player sees us as a stepping stone you know damn well they are going to do everything they can to do as best as they can.

We've been sorely lacking any identity since we went away from the "bargain basement" route. We have some of the most detestable group of players assembled who, collectively, couldn't care one bit about the club. And I'm including 'players' like Davies in there as well. A homegrown player strolling around the pitch when we are getting battered.

That’s a fair point and one I am with you on.

However I’m sure the professionally qualified Guardiola and his 20+ professionally qualified staff members know a lot more what to do with their own team than a few Everton dads on grand old team (myself included).
However, it was clear as crystal that they had defensive problems going into season 19/20 and they basically did nothing about it and threw the title to Liverpool.

Speak for yourself. I think that's exactly what we have been missing. I don't even care if a player sees us as a stepping stone, I at LEAST want one who CARES what happens on the pitch. If a player sees us as a stepping stone you know damn well they are going to do everything they can to do as best as they can.

We've been sorely lacking any identity since we went away from the "bargain basement" route. We have some of the most detestable group of players assembled who, collectively, couldn't care one bit about the club. And I'm including 'players' like Davies in there as well. A homegrown player strolling around the pitch when we are getting battered.

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't see any evidence of it. I think it depends on the individual player. In an inflated market, you can still pick up an average player at a cheap price. It takes more exceptional scouting to pick up a much better one.

Villa crammed their squad with a lot of average junk last season, and were fortunate to escape. I don't want that, I don't think anyone does.

Brands and the rest of them should first accept that we can only progress now if we devote scarce resources to specific positions in any given window. If we try to do too much, we'll dilute the budget and the quality. It's all about balance, and a far more strategic approach. Sadly, we don't seem to have much of either.

In absolute terms, we can't afford "big" signings. Like Ancelotti has said, we can't sign superstars, we can sign players who will become superstars.

The thing is with those scouting systems, anything thats implemented takes time really. IF we have started doing that, we should start seeing some left field signings and recruitment soon.

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't see any evidence of it. I think it depends on the individual player. In an inflated market, you can still pick up an avarage player at a cheap price. It takes more exceptional scouting to pick up a much better one.

Villa crammed their squad with a lot of average junk last season, and were fortunate to escape. I don't want that, I don't think anyone does.

Brands and the rest of them should first accept that we can only progress now if we devote scarce resources to specific positions in any given window. If we try to do too much, we'll dilute the budget and the quality. It's all about balance, and a far more strategic approach. Sadly, we don't seem to have much of either.

Brands has basically said that hasn't he?. We need 2 or 3 players as a priority rather than a tonne of changes. Which is possibly the prudest way to go. The issue will just be getting some players to start performing until NEXT summer.

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't see any evidence of it. I think it depends on the individual player. In an inflated market, you can still pick up an avarage player at a cheap price. It takes more exceptional scouting to pick up a much better one.

Let's say they devote the bulk of this year to 3 positions only. Hopefully its CM CM and either RW or RB. Then the next window(OBVIOUSLY not the winter one because Marcel needs his time in the Alps skiing) you do another 3 and so on. The problem is by the time you have a team ready to do anything the first wave has to be replaced. Avg time a player has at a club is about 3 years unless they come to Everton and get paid such ridiculous wages with no responsibility they stick around the entire contract because what do they care? They've made it.

I had a quick look at our transfer activity last summer.
The transfer of Moise Kean dragged on for weeks and I think the signing of Fabian Delph was well signposted also.

However, my memory is that the signings of Lossl, Gbamin,Sidibe and Iwobi were not drawn out affairs and we had very little indication that we were even interested in the players.

Brands likes to keep his transfer activity very much under wraps.
I would guess that the players we are trying to sign have not been mentioned yet, although it seems to me that we have been linked to anybody who can breathe and kick a ball.

Let's say they devote the bulk of this year to 3 positions only. Hopefully its CM CM and either RW or RB. Then the next window(OBVIOUSLY not the winter one because Marcel needs his time in the Alps skiing) you do another 3 and so on. The problem is by the time you have a team ready to do anything the first wave has to be replaced. Avg time a player has at a club is about 3 years unless they come to Everton and get paid such ridiculous wages with no responsibility they stick around the entire contract because what do they care? They've made it.

Yes, its difficult. I don't see any other way though. We need players that can come in and make an almost immediate positive impact. If we got three such players in the next few weeks, then IMO we are in a much stronger position. Gain at least some momentum, and add one more in January off the back off that positivity. No more of this not utilising the January window nonsense.

In 12 months time, add another 3 and that's a turnaround of 7 players. They only thing is, we could probably only sustain no more than one of those being a dud/disappointment. We have almost no room for error.

Brands has basically said that hasn't he?. We need 2 or 3 players as a priority rather than a tonne of changes. Which is possibly the prudest way to go. The issue will just be getting some players to start performing until NEXT summer.
3 players a season should be the way to go. That's how klopp has done it and I think that is the way Carlo will go.
But us fans are impatient and can see how bad some of the team are.
But 3 new players will do for me who hopefully improve the team to go.with Richo digne holgate DCL and possibly Gomes

Has he ever had to make a big signing in his life? Seems to me like since he’s been here he’s had it easy in terms of getting players who are surplus at their current clubs to come here. The Iwobi deal just smacked of complete desperation, we needed a winger and couldn’t get Zaha so threw £30m at Arsenal who probably couldn’t believe their luck when Brands made the call.
You're not wrong mate. The fella is a liability. Can't believe they gave him a place on the board of directors lol

Status
Not open for further replies.