2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was last summer a debacle? Signed Gomes on a perm which we all wanted, signed a defensive mid that we wanted, got RB cover, signed an exciting young striker and not everyone was against Iwobi but preferred Zaha who we were priced out of. Sold some unhappy players for profit like Lookman. Not much of a debacle to me.
Don't talk sense and reason about Brands mate , you'll aggravate you know who !

Why was last summer a debacle? Signed Gomes on a perm which we all wanted, signed a defensive mid that we wanted, got RB cover, signed an exciting young striker and not everyone was against Iwobi but preferred Zaha who we were priced out of. Sold some unhappy players for profit like Lookman. Not much of a debacle to me.

The signings came far too late.

Sidibe was low risk but adequate at best.

Delph a disastrous signing.

Iwobi just pure desperation for a massive fee.

Didnt get a centre half and seemed obsessed with Zouma who isn't even good enough in the first place.

Far too many players were loaned and are still on our books.

Debacle maybe slightly exagerrated but it was far from good. I just want a summer where we don't obsess over average premier league players and actually get players in for pre season.

The signings came far too late.

Sidibe was low risk but adequate at best.

Delph a disastrous signing.

Iwobi just pure desperation for a massive fee.

Didnt get a centre half and seemed obsessed with Zouma who isn't even good enough in the first place.

Far too many players were loaned and are still on our books.

Debacle maybe slightly exagerrated but it was far from good. I just want a summer where we don't obsess over average premier league players and actually get players in for pre season.

Starting to piss the bed a bit this year aren’t ya Timmy

I think he had a really good first window a non existent 2nd(and 4th and probably 6th) window, and a poor third window. Delph was a terrible signing no matter how you look at it, Iwobi made no sense in any form of rationalization. Gblammo was a complete and utter freak of bad luck so not a plus or minus on him. I REALLY rate Kean so thats a good one. Gomes is what Gomes was.

FYI if you are addressing Marcel in a social situation he prefers to be called only by his surname. If he takes a liking to you, you might get away with Branzo.

On outcome it was a debacle, but it's hard to hang the Gomes and Gbamin injuries (or Kean's slow start) on Brands. Iwobi and Delph look like bricks (and I'll admit to being wrong about Delph).

I don't think it's too harsh to say that it was the sort of window that gets a manager fired.

The basic problem is that we were in such a state when Brands came in that he has very little margin for error. Recruiting Carlo is probably enough to keep us comfortably up, but with what we're spending the ambition has to be to get comfortably out in front of teams like Wolves and Leicester.

On outcome it was a debacle, but it's hard to hang the Gomes and Gbamin injuries (or Kean's slow start) on Brands. Iwobi and Delph look like bricks (and I'll admit to being wrong about Delph).

I don't think it's too harsh to say that it was the sort of window that gets a manager fired.

The basic problem is that we were in such a state when Brands came in that he has very little margin for error. Recruiting Carlo is probably enough to keep us comfortably up, but with what we're spending the ambition has to be to get comfortably out in front of teams like Wolves and Leicester.
It definitely worked out badly but most of the recruitment last summer looked decent. The only two question marks were not signing a CB and moving for Iwobi, which I think most people were somewhat surprised by.

Status
Not open for further replies.