Time To Break FFP?

Is it time to take the hit and break FFP?

• Yes

Votes: 153 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Maybe (give Brands 1 more window)

Votes: 14 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No other business owner in the World is restricted in how much they can invest in their business to improve it, except for football clubs in Europe.

Ridiculous.

I flitter on which side I fall with FFP - one side I think its good cos it prevents clubs over reaching and ultimately going out of business... on the other side I think the big club cartel are all for it because it restricts any new clubs with new money taking their bit f the pie.

Ultimately, I think if you have the money you should be able to invest it - building smaller clubs into bigger teams should be a target.

Our fans propensity to disbelieve any sort of good news, and in some cases go out of their way to make up reasons why the club would somehow be unable to take advantage of legitimate and available mechanisms of investment.

Like claiming we would somehow be punished 10 times harder than anyone else on the grounds of being Everton. Or the claims that we are skint and won’t be able to do much business this summer, when our de facto owner is wealthier than Roman Abramovich.

It’s an extension of the 'Everton That' mentality; a term that is being used to describe the conscious belief that the very nature of Everton is that of failure.

I think this is true. I know it's a product of partly the incompetence of the last 20 years or more, and partly due to unfortunate events in (primarily the mid 80's).

We do have to start challenging the narrative though, as it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. If you keep telling yourself things will just go wrong, and whatever news we get will always end up bad, it tends to follow that direction. Go and observe most successful people/institutions, what you will see with 90%+ of them is that they believe they can make a success of something irrespective of how improbable it seems. That then flows through their organisations.

Like I said last night, CAS don't even know who Everton are. They couldn't care less about Everton. If I'm being frank, we are too irrelevant to even peak their attention. We are a small, provincial sports club, playing in one sector. The idea that judges, lawyers, court staff etc risk their professional integrity to bear out a grudge for a provincial sports team in another country to them is laughable. I can complete understand there is a bias in Sky, or the FA, or even potentially UEFA, however this will not extend to courts.

Lawyers will look at what Manchester City did, see the precedent is that this was deemed acceptable, measure what Everton (or any other club) did in relation to this, based upon the facts of the case and make a judgement if it's broadly in line with City's behaviour that the same outcome has to be followed. Thats how law works.

If we take too many liberties, and go far beyond City there may be a problem, but if we continue to spend at the same level we are now, we are substantially within the boundaries of where Manchester City were. We really do have to move away from the idea that everything will just be a replay of the Heysel disaster played out again and again.

I flitter on which side I fall with FFP - one side I think its good cos it prevents clubs over reaching and ultimately going out of business... on the other side I think the big club cartel are all for it because it restricts any new clubs with new money taking their bit f the pie.

Ultimately, I think if you have the money you should be able to invest it - building smaller clubs into bigger teams should be a target.

The problem is it doesn't even do the former. There is no regulation on wage levels, or on levels of debt a club can have. These are not punished. Not only are you now seeing clubs going into administration, but they are going into admin at a far faster rate than when FFP came in. It's completely failed, even in it's own terms.

The problem is it doesn't even do the former. There is no regulation on wage levels, or on levels of debt a club can have. These are not punished. Not only are you now seeing clubs going into administration, but they are going into admin at a far faster rate than when FFP came in. It's completely failed, even in it's own terms.

Yeah I completely agree mate, I think I was stating on what the merits of it should stand for - however like you have said - even that is completely flawed.

Am made up Uefa got challenged, they are so corrupt its unreal.

Wolves will be happy with FFP as they benefit more from Mendes giving them players rather than needing to throw money around.

Im at the stage where im not arsed anymore about punishment - these last few seasons have been more turd than anything UEFA could throw at us.

Spend whats needed, take a fine & if UEFA push us too harshly take FFP to the courts and get it squashed - would love EFC to go down in history as the club to get it ended.

Yes a lot of truth in that. However I remember people saying Wolves (the Newcastle before Newcastle) would come and blitz spending. They haven't done that, and they are not interested in doing that, As you say they find a home, or a useful stopping point for Mendes clients. They clearly have no intention of wanting to spend big.

The 2nd point is key here though. We can go and pay £500m on the same group of players and in all honesty not really get anywhere. Of the lads we've signed, you'd want another Digne, Richarlinson and Gueye. The rest would all just be lower half filler if we are blunt. Unless we recruit better, we won't get anywhere.

There was always enough wriggle room, (especially now) to sustain relatively modest investments but the investments need to be better. As I've put above, we need to get out of the idea that there is some authoritative bogeyman waiting to screw us over. We are in this position because we have spent money badly.

I wouldn't go that far - it has lessened some of the ridiculous losses clubs were making. Unfortunately in doing so it's also made the elite clubs more profitable, which, tied to the restrictions on outside investment, has broadened the gap between the elite and everyone else to the biggest it's ever been. When that's the case, it's always the poor who suffer.

I wouldn't go that far - it has lessened some of the ridiculous losses clubs were making. Unfortunately in doing so it's also made the elite clubs more profitable, which, tied to the restrictions on outside investment, has broadened the gap between the elite and everyone else to the biggest it's ever been. When that's the case, it's always the poor who suffer.

Which was the whole point of it in the first place - to protect the status quo.

It was called out for it at the time it was introduced. The PR for it was 'fairness' - it has been anything but. It simply preserved a monopoly on the top level of the game.

I'm embarrassed I didn't see VAR for what it was as well. All these measures are aimed at preserving and extending those with money at the top of the game.

Have you seen Wolves punishment?

LMFAO without Europe they have effectively been fined about 500k.

Come on Everton do what is needed this summer - not like we haven't a £100 million player in Richarlison who may be sold in 1-2 seasons anyway unless we get CL footie.

Also can add the USM naming rights likely from next years books.

Status
Not open for further replies.