Where and when did it all start going awry for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry the LFC fans you meet behave like that. I don't and I don't know other LFC fans who do. In fact my observation is that the average LFC fan is hostile to MUFC and Chelsea primarily. I have never seen or heard LFC fans talk about Everton in the way that some on hear refer to LFC. Maybe that's a product of frustration and disappointment with all the false dawns than it is anything LFC have done- at least in the recent past. Probably half the fans of both clubs weren't even born at the time of Heysel.
And in response to an earlier poster , no during H and G's days it did not go into administration, although it was very close

Guy from the bank runs the administration of the club under protests of the owners , the bank sold the club under protests of the owners , it was administration in everything but name, the league and the fa looked the other way, no club in history has had such special treatment.

Guy from the bank runs the administration of the club under protests of the owners , the bank sold the club under protests of the owners , it was administration in everything but name, the league and the fa looked the other way, no club in history has had such special treatment.
The rules only deal with a club in administration, not one which in your opinion SHOULD be.

Is history being rewritten yet again here?We signed off the deal that summer of 1985 and the "joke" from the kopites in the city remember only a few weeks after the horror of Heysel was NEC=No European Cup,classy LFC as ever.
You can't win with them mate I wouldn't waste my breath

Don't ever wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty but the pig will enjoy it.

This for me:
Thanks for sharing the article. An an US blue who has followed Everton since about 2005, it's difficult to know the full context of those 80's squads, the LFC rivalry, and political atmosphere of the city. Good info, if not tragic stuff.

Hard to compare across eras. Not getting a financial backer when Moyes was on the cusp of making us top 4 regulars is probably the big one in recent times.

And as for Moshiri - he reminds me of someone who's always been skint, wins the lottery, and then spends the next 5-10 years spazzing all the money on shiny, tacky, expensive cr@p, while the people with "old money" all look at him shaking their heads.

Just to add a bit more about mis-placed negativity.
Around the time of the FA Cup game at Anfield there was a welter of posts on here about VAR, refereeing decisions etc, suggesting that LFC has some special treatment and that somehow does down Everton.
ESPN have done an analysis of VAR decisions and who benefitted from them. Man U did best . LFC were SEVENTH. Everton were mid-table.
Refereeing decisions- arguably LFC would have won the Prem last year too if Kompany had been properly punished for felling Salah.
LFC actually get less penalties at Anfield than away,
LFC had less red and yellow cards than anyone else in the Prem last year.
So there's no real evidence for this conspiracy thinking and it's another way of diverting attention from fixing EFC itself.

Why are you on an Everton forum posting condescending drivel about Liverpool on a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with your stain of a club?

Absolutely sums you lot up, gang of self obsessed beauts.

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT LFC!!!

we hadn't been the same since Ball was allowed to leave.
Moore's left.
Heysel
not getting the ground done up when everybody around us was getting money of the league to do it, to not getting things right with deals off the pitch
kenwright walking through the door and mediocrity following him through it, have we ever acted and performed like a truly top club at any time he has been involved ?
fella loved the club but the club would be far better without his input ,in the long run.

Tossing and turning,oooeeerrrrr Missus lol last night trying to get some shuteye, got thinking about when we were ace, up to 1987,it would be easy to blame very mitigating factors such as Heysel,the ban,Howard leaving for European football in Spain,but was there an exact moment when you thought, oh hell I think we are on the slide?,which barring a few fleeting glimpses of glory we have been in this state of flux ever since really, for me,the following season 87-88,Harveys first,we won the Charity Shield,we were pretty much in contention for most of the season ending up a disappointing fourth(how times change eh?!!)lost to the other lot at home in the fifth round of the cup at Goodison,but the game I identify with was the League Cup Semi v Arsenal,they were no great shakes(Hello Perry Groveslol) but we lost 1-0 at home first leg,Tricky Trev blazed a penalty over at 0-0 I think, but we were poor that day, really poor, flat even, the team just didn't show up, it was very disconcerting on the day, we traipsed down to Highbury for the second leg, still believing we could turn the tie around..............we were even worse,a total no-show,3-1 on the night,we got off lightly,I remember coming away thinking we had a hell of a lot of work to do to recover lost ground, we tried in the Cottee,McCall,Nevin summer but the glory days by then were behind us, who knows if we had turned up against Arsenal and got through and won that pot?maybe we may have reigned a little longer?Definately a watershed tie for us I think.

the 1987 Charity shield match was my first everton game. I’m affaid that it may be me where it all started to go wrong.

Love him to bits but Colin Harvey’s splurge on McCall Nevin Cottee and McDonald when we were still seen as one of top sides was the start of it all. Replacing class players with decent ones started the decline. Coupled with bracewell’s injury and rangers taking an interest in our whole right hand side condemned us to being rank average by the time sky took over - we’re just seen as extras in a movie now. If Richarlison gets up to 20 goals next season the clamour for him to join a “big club” will be deafening

The modern era of Football, the SKY era really, last 30 years, Every decade post war up to then i like to think we were considered amongst the top clubs and competitive and a season like the one just gone would be considered not good enough. The game has changed so much to almost media saturation, each season pans out the same as the one before and I just don't think we have kept up. I watched the cup final last week and even a weaker Arsenal period and they can still pull out a Trophy win. Im hoping the move to Bramley Moore will signify a new belief and better times for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.