Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are not paying anything to get them here then I'm not sure why we would be expecting 3-4 years? The most important thing is getting a good team on the pitch as soon as possible, everything should fall into place beyond that.

One or two players would be fine. Nobody is advocating a whole team of them.
Getting a good team requires a commitment to the process of doing that. It won't happen by signing players as stop gaps or spending big on aging players. Allan is the type of guy to sign on a free while Silva or Willian are the ones to swerve completely.

Getting a good team requires a commitment to the process of doing that. It won't happen by signing players as stop gaps or spending big on aging players. Allan is the type of guy to sign on a free while Silva or Willian are the ones to swerve completely.
You live in a fantasy reality. How many 29 year old Champions League regulars are there that are available on free transfers exactly? Ten a penny in Iguana land I'm sure but in the real world the number is very low and when they are available they aren't coming to Everton. You don't half talk a load of old cobblers.

We sold 29 year old Gana Gueye for £30m last summer. Would you have been happy letting him go for free?

You live in a fantasy reality. How many 29 year old Champions League regulars are there that are available on free transfers exactly? Ten a penny in Iguana land I'm sure but in the real world the number is very low and when they are available they aren't coming to Everton. You don't half talk a load of old cobblers.
There's probably none which is why I regularly say don't sign players that age. I understand that it's hard to find that's why I constantly say not to waste time trying.

Allan has way more pedigree and experience than Gana did. Just trying to understand why you think he's a player we could/should get on a free if you think Gana was valued right at £30m
I don't think it is possible for that to happen. What I am saying is someone at his age and level, given our financial constraints and the amount of players we need to be a good side, should only be considered for cheap. Maybe not strictly a free but the upper limit should be well below 30m.

I love Gana but if we signed him last summer for 30m it would have been mad. PSG don't have to worry about money.

No matter how we may all see Everton compared to other clubs. This extract from the BBC sports web site clearly shows how we are perceived by some (many ?) in the game and what that means in attracting players. Jesse Lingard could leave Manchester United in the summer, says former United midfielder Paul Scholes. "Jesse is a good lad, he just needs a run of games but I don’t think he will get that at Manchester United, maybe at a mid-table team like an Everton or West Ham.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53673652
Exactly why we should avoid him if he isn't good enough for them we shouldn't be taking their dead wood

There is no set way on how to get a good team. Having a steadfast rule on who to sign and who not to sign based on age would be incredibly daft. This is not FIFA where your players go useless after 29. For every Ginola and Gascoigne there is a Power or Gough. The key is the decision makers doing their homework to find out which one you are getting.

There is no set way on how to get a good team. Having a steadfast rule on who to sign and who not to sign based on age would be incredibly daft. This is not FIFA where your players go useless after 29. For every Ginola and Gascoigne there is a Power or Gough. The key is the decision makers doing their homework to find out which one you are getting.
How many teams with money as limited as ours are having success spending big on players on the back end of their prime (say 28+)? Zero right? And beyond that which of those are bringing in 32+ year olds? You say there is no set way but where is it happening?

Would disagree with you there mate, we were talking about this the other day and the concept of value in the concept of money ball. Essentiall value is subjective and requires a judgement call, without being dogmatic and a slave to a particular ideology. In fact following a particular ideology may be undermining, given market forces.

Take someone like Milner, he was clearly a value signing despite his profile. Not sure we can afford to close our minds to that type of deal and what it could offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.