2019/20 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branthwaite & Gordon are 2 bright spots on a fairly depressing season.

I think they can both be starters next season & potentially have real quality.

From what bit we saw of Branthwaite, I’d play him ahead of Keane already.

Would be very interested to see Branthwaite and Holgate together...also Mina and Branthwaite.

Still a kid though so cant overuse him. Hes our only natural left sided centre back with Gibson.

Keane i think will be off if a decent bid emerges.

Would be very interested to see Branthwaite and Holgate together...also Mina and Branthwaite.

Still a kid though so cant overuse him. Hes our only natural left sided centre back with Gibson.

Keane i think will be off if a decent bid emerges.
I think Mina is far more likely to be sold and would not be surprised at all if it happens. I think CA likes Keane as defender.
Brantwhaite will largely play with the under 23s next season and continue training with the first team. He is still far too young to be considered for regular games in the first team.

I think Mina is far more likely to be sold and would not be surprised at all if it happens. I think CA likes Keane as defender.
Brantwhaite will largely play with the under 23s next season and continue training with the first team. He is still far too young to be considered for regular games in the first team.
If he’s good enough, he’s old enough.
For me he’s in the first team squad on rotation with the rest. He looks amazing for his age. Why hold him back?

For me he’s in the first team squad on rotation with the rest. He looks amazing for his age. Why hold him back?
His natural strength and composure shine through, but he’s only played something like 9 or 10 games for Carlisle , about 5 for our U23s , 4 for the first team . The first time I saw him his weak headed clearance lead to City U23s scoring a goal , and we know he‘s likely to make mistakes at his age . I wouldn’t hold him back cos he’s young but because he’s inexperienced and needs more developing. It sounds like Big Dunc has been playing his part in “toughening him up” , just what he needs , along with lots of coaching on his positioning if say Sterling is skipping down the wing about to cross where should he be? He’s never experienced that level of quality attackers before. He seems to have a high level of natural fitness too , so it’s the technical/ positional side he needs further development on.

Supporters love him now, let's see what they say after he has made a couple of silly mistakes which cost us games.
It is a big ask for a young lad to play in the Premiership, if he makes an error at centre half it could be very costly and could affect his confidence in the future. You quite often see young central players get a few games as a full back just to build up some experience.

Let him develop at the correct pace for a young lad.
He wasn't put into the team because he had forced his way past senior players, he only got his game because of injury.
The experience will have been huge for him and hugely positive but don't turn it into a negative for him.

Seeing as Mina was our best player for half a season and Keane had possibly 3 good defensive displays since ancelotti arrived but also major errors and cant pass or run.

I disagree that any world class manager would want Keane at the club let alone ahead of Mina.

Branthwaite is a decent option as backup LCB if we sign Gabriel.

He looks good but let’s not get carried away...I just read ‘he looks amazing.....’ lads played 4 games v Bournemouth wolves villa and Sheff Utd... which we conceded 7 goals.

And we have Gibson.. problem with being on loan.. easily forgettable
Im wondering can Gibson not cover for left full back. Worked for a few of our youngsters to slot in.

He looks good but let’s not get carried away...I just read ‘he looks amazing.....’ lads played 4 games v Bournemouth wolves villa and Sheff Utd... which we conceded 7 goals.
and looked good in all of them, Imo he's ready he looked shaky vs Wolves but was calm as against a rough pub team Sheffield United.
If one of our CB's got injured and this lad was picked I'd have no problem personally. Looks comfortable on the ball but passing needs work if we're to play out from the back.

and looked good in all of them, Imo he's ready he looked shaky vs Wolves but was calm as against a rough pub team Sheffield United.
If one of our CB's got injured and this lad was picked I'd have no problem personally. Looks comfortable on the ball but passing needs work if we're to play out from the back.
he looked good but his set piece positioning was questionable. Definitely something that training and games can fix.
I'd loan him out to a good championship side.

The reality is hitting home a bit for people now, he’s a composed, talented 18 year old playing behind a dreadful midfield. That’s the third game recently in which 3 goals have been put past him and our defence. You couldn’t specifically fault him for any goals yesterday but there’s no outstanding leader in our defence to help , guide and get his positioning right on the field. These are the games though that he’ll learn from .

For me he needs to train with 1st team and play games with u23. Then next season I would be looking for a loan to the Championship. He definitely has talent just not the experience. Hopefully he can form a partnership with Astley in u23s. I think Gibson is probably slightly ahead in development but this is no real surprise as he is 2 years older. Depending what we do with Gibson might affect what we do with Branthwaite.

Think all four of them might be a bit defensive once you add in 2 full backs. On the other hand, if you put a couple of decent DMs in front of that back 6, we shouldn't concede many.

Branthwaite in the starting line up against Kanye in a few weeks would more than likely traumatise the kid.
Spare him that experience. I'm all for the "if you're good enough, you're old enough" tag, but a bit too soon for me.

And we have Gibson.. problem with being on loan.. easily forgettable
Im wondering can Gibson not cover for left full back. Worked for a few of our youngsters to slot in.

...there was a time I wondered if Gibson might be a better LB prospect than CB but he’s really grown to be a big unit and I doubt his agility to play LB. He has the ability to stride out with the ball from central defence but I doubt he’d be effective in the attacking third as a LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.