Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the top players come from abroad...fact
The only reason why top 6 clubs have top British players is because they have to...fact
Organisation would only carry you so far with the risk that eventually you'll struggle...the top 6 are what they are because they have the top foreign players...those players that will give you a win.
Look at liverpool and city...remove the foreigners and they would become average at best.
I've not said any different, just saying all the best British players also play for the top 6 so even if you wanted to build around a core of English/British players and hope to crack the top 6 it isn't going to happen, there aren't enough talented homegrown players out there at smaller teams to be able to challenge.

Alan Myers says there won't be a decision on Gabriel until next week - Everton are one of three clubs "pushing hard", the others being one English side (presumably Arsenal) and Napoli

Wonder how many weeks on the trot that has been spouted. If napoli are involved it's difficult. We can't go out and buy allan if it helps fund them to pip us to gabriel. Just have to wait and see.

Well yeah I tend to agree with you, BUT, its all conjecture.

At the minute, the FFP restrictions exist, like it or not, and Brands job is to try and get us the best value for money in order to comply by these restrictions while still bringing in top players. So you're literally criticising him for trying to do his job.

By all means bash him for spending 30 mil on a panic buy in Iwobi, but bashing him for trying to save us money when that is exactly what people are crying for us to do, is just ridiculous
We have to invest heavily, but with greater due diligence. For example, should we sign 29 y/o Allan for £25 million because Carlo wants him, great. But we should be looking at a Sangare for about £15 to pair with him.

We need to be signing players like Ismaila Sarr when he moves for a low fee, not when his value has skyrocketed. We need to be more proactive in sourcing moves like this. In my opinion, even though Brands has driven initial asking prices down, I believe we overpay for signings. We can spend money but we have to look at those players when they are younger and add a few Allan's in around.

We just end up buying 'established but not great players of middling age for fees between £20 and £30 million. We need to get out of this habit imo. There is generally a reason why that 'established' player is only commanding a fee of 20-30 million - and it's not a positive one.

We should push the budget as far as we can and gamble that through sales in the short-term and European qualification, or failing that, sales of crown jewels next summer to balance, otherwise we will go nowhere. We need to aim to push the budget but to an extent that we COULD claw it back for the most part if necessary in the future.

We have to invest heavily, but with greater due diligence. For example, should we sign 29 y/o Allan for £25 million because Carlo wants him, great. But we should be looking at a Sangare for about £15 to pair with him.

We need to be signing players like Ismaila Sarr when he moves for a low fee, not when his value has skyrocketed. We need to be more proactive in sourcing moves like this. In my opinion, even though Brands has driven initial asking prices down, I believe we overpay for signings. We can spend money but we have to look at those players when they are younger and add a few Allan's in around.

We just end up buying 'established but not great players of middling age for fees between £20 and £30 million. We need to get out of this habit imo. There is generally a reason why that 'established' player is only commanding a fee of 20-30 million - and it's not a positive one.

We should push the budget as far as we can and gamble that through sales in the short-term and European qualification, or failing that, sales of crown jewels next summer to balance, otherwise we will go nowhere. We need to aim to push the budget but to an extent that we COULD claw it back for the most part if necessary in the future.
Sarr has never moved for a low fee. He moved to Watford last summer for nearly 30m. 2 years before that Rennais paid 15m for him as an unproven 19 year old, so a big gamble.

I get what you're saying. In an ideal world we spot talent before their fee rises but talent without a lot of goals and appearances to back it up is always going to be hard to spot.

Wonder how many weeks on the trot that has been spouted. If napoli are involved it's difficult. We can't go out and buy allan if it helps fund them to pip us to gabriel. Just have to wait and see.

we wont be signing allan until they get knocked out of the champions league, if at all.

If we don't get this fella, we don't get him. I think the club were right to try to renegotiate the deal due to the change in landscape following COVID-19.

We moan that we splash money without thought and then moan when we don't splash money without thought. I remember us all kicking off when Walsh didn't want to pay the asking price for Schneiderlin. How much of a great saving does that 2.5m look now?

I understand people will be disappointed if he goes to United or Arsenal but equally if the club doesn't see the value in paying the previously agreed price then we have to trust them. Its hardly like Arsenal (£70m for Pepe) and United (£85m for Maguire) are examples of finding good value in the market.

Funny how desperate some people are for this to fall through just say they can say INDEX
They'll say it in any case. It's the GOT equivalent of all those Muppets saying WAZZZZUUPPP from that Budweiser advert years ago that also wasn't funny.

I'm normally pretty optimistic but I can't see this one happening to be honest. If he was keen on joining he would have ages ago, we had a 4 month headstart on anyone else ffs. He's clearly been holding out for a move to a bigger club and it seems he's got his wish now with arsenal coming in for him.

I'm normally pretty optimistic but I can't see this one happening to be honest. If he was keen on joining he would have ages ago, we had a 4 month headstart on anyone else ffs. He's clearly been holding out for a move to a bigger club and it seems he's got his wish now with arsenal coming in for him.

Despair

Just a few points here.

Iwobi moved to London aged four.

Ah, the classic 'I just don't like Richarlison' line, despite the fact he's our best player by far and without his goals we'd be in real trouble. Remember the last player we had like that, and fans said the same thing? Shouldn't keep selling our best players - it gets us where we are now.

Can't disagree on the outs, albeit we need replacements in first and fwiw I'd probably keep hold of Walcott unless we get a seriously good offer as we're bound to have injuries and he's our one competent right winger as it stands.

Watkins looks a good player but as it stands we have other areas to focus on, rather than spending £20m on a player with one good season in the Championship under his belt.

Anyone who doesn't like Richarlison, really needs to just walk away from Professional Sport and go and watch Marine on a Saturday, because there's nothing left there to enjoy.

I'd keep Walcott too, makes the wrong decision 99/100, but still stretches defences, just can't finish his runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.