Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, I know very little about the player myself because it's impossible to know much about him as he has only played a minimal amount of games which is kind of the point.

I would assume you have seen us against us and possibly a game here or there when Newcastle have been on telly? You can pick any player and think they are crap based off a small amount of games.

All clubs should be trying to compete for honours of course but I think it also needs remembering that good players can come from anywhere. What I would say is that if this is indeed a proper transfer rumour and our management team want him then you would hope they have seen something in the player that we have not seen because we have not had the opportunity to see him that much.
Agreed. I’m just judging him on the little I’ve seen and he’s no different to what we have. We need quality not quantity to progress and this kid isn’t imo quality in anyway shape or form.

The same Tom Cleverley that we made £8m profit off of despite him literally being touted as one of the worst midfielders in the league before he came to us. Now compare that to Longstaff who’s actually been thought highly of and is still very young. It’d be a no brainier in my eyes, especially if we need clever ways to get around FFP.
How much did we pay him in wages and signing on/off fees? Now, how much profit did we make on him?

He will cost a tribunal fee so it won't be a true free. I'm not sure how these tribunals work but I would guess the amount of contact he's been offered would have some impact on the size of fee
Don’t tribunals only come into play if you sign the player on a bosman before their contract officially expires? Assume if he hasn’t signed a contract, his contract date has expired then he is a free agent and so the parent club can’t do anything?

Agreed. I’m just judging him on the little I’ve seen and he’s no different to what we have. We need quality not quantity to progress and this kid isn’t imo quality in anyway shape or form.

Yeah time will tell (if it actually happens of course!)

I'll come back to you when he is lifting his third champions league trophy on the bounce as our captain and club legend...

• Haha
Reactions: JLW
Don’t tribunals only come into play if you sign the player on a bosman before their contract officially expires? Assume if he hasn’t signed a contract, his contract date has expired then he is a free agent and so the parent club can’t do anything?
If under 24 only need contract to be offered

Not sure I agree. Yes, he has not been great, but he has played for a woeful underperforming team. Often out of position.

It also depends why he was purchased. We know Moshiri wanted Zaha for silly money. If Brands response was that because of FFP it would make sense to get e.g. Iwobi for half the price he was probably right.

Iwobi could also be a Moshiri signing. We know how fond of Arsenal he has been. We also know that his friend Kia Joorabchian represented Arsenal when Iwobi was sold.

What don't you agree with? Iwobi making me worry about Brands, or that he was a terrible panic buy?

And to be honest I'm sick of the "out of position" shouts for Iwobi.

What IS his position then? I mean, it's not like we're blessed in midfield is it?

I've shared what Everton's manager (and presumably, DoF) thought;

"The position we see him in is clear, coming from the left," said Silva. "He can also play behind the striker really well. He can even play on the right.

[Edit] I've found what Brands thought: "In our eyes, a boy that can play in different positions. Play from the side, also behind the striker. He's 23-years-old, already quite experienced and the most important thing: he has goals and assists in his game".

Iwobi and his 1 goal, 0 assists and 2 chances created been an atrocious signing - trying to pin Iwobi on Moshiri rather than the clubs Director of Football seems odd to me.

I think Ancelotti has his card marked. He'd be the first dragged off, and he couldn't get Walcott back in quick enough.

Explained well here

Players 24 and under are not free even when they are out of contract. If the clubs can not agree on the transfer, a tribunal will set the value.

Yeah it was a dire window. I suspect the drive to penny pinch on top targets comes from the amount of overpaid white elephants we already have on the wage bill.

I’d like to hope with an open cheque book Brands might be able to get deals done quickly. Still an awful lot of serious question marks about our recruitment.

Getting large vibes of the moyes era from brands. He smacks me as someone who would have been brilliant wheeling and dealing with little money to spend, but now he's got so much she expected to look at higher calibre, he doesn't know what to do. We could have kept steve walsh on if he wanted to buy players like delph and iwobi. I was so looking forward to his arrival and feel he's flattered a bit to decieve, not bringing in a centre back last summer was utterly criminal, he has to produce this summer imo otherwise we really are going nowhere. We've got the boss to attract high calibre players now.

What don't you agree with? Iwobi making me worry about Brands, or that he was a terrible panic buy?

What IS his position then? I mean, it's not like we're blessed in midfield is it?

I've shared what Everton's manager (and presumably, DoF) thought;

[Edit] I've found what Brands thought: "In our eyes, a boy that can play in different positions. Play from the side, also behind the striker. He's 23-years-old, already quite experienced and the most important thing: he has goals and assists in his game".

Iwobi and his 1 goal, 0 assists and 2 chances created been an atrocious signing - trying to pin Iwobi on Moshiri rather than the clubs Director of Football seems odd to me.

I think Ancelotti has his card marked. He'd be the first dragged off, and he couldn't get Walcott back in quick enough.
My hope is pressure was put on brands by silva....

Iwobi is a 10. A winger that cuts inside from the left. And possibly an 8 in 4-3-3.

Silva kept using Gylfi as number 10. But the best performance we have seen in that position this season was Iwobi against West Ham.

Everyone but Ancelotti knew that Iwobi would not do well as a right midfielder that had to stay wide. One match Iwobi was allowed to cut inside in the second half and he did very well. Next match he was back wide again told to defend and play crosses.

When Walcott came back and looked decent, Ancelotti changed formation to 4-2-3-1 to play to his strengths. You cannot compare that to Iwobi being told to spend half the match in full back position.

Getting large vibes of the moyes era from brands. He smacks me as someone who would have been brilliant wheeling and dealing with little money to spend, but now he's got so much she expected to look at higher calibre, he doesn't know what to do. We could have kept steve walsh on if he wanted to buy players like delph and iwobi. I was so looking forward to his arrival and feel he's flattered a bit to decieve, not bringing in a centre back last summer was utterly criminal, he has to produce this summer imo otherwise we really are going nowhere. We've got the boss to attract high calibre players now.
We’ve got a top quality manager for sure. We’ll also have to pay top dollar in terms of wages and fees to get the right players in. Whether that’s possible now after lashing so much on average players I don’t know.

We always just seem to be one or two players short in any given window. If we had got a good striker in under Koeman then having Rooney and Sigurdsson May have worked. If we had bought a decent CB and another CM with an engine last summer then Silva night still be here. Never goes right for us.

Iwobi is a 10. A winger that cuts inside from the left. And possibly an 8 in 4-3-3.

I see. Given that is your view, I'm surprised you disagree with my view that "Iwobi makes me worry about Brands"

I mean, Brands and Silva signed him primarily for his versatility and both were very clear they saw him as a winger. Quotes below.

Brands: "In our eyes, a boy that can play in different positions. Play from the side, also behind the striker. He's 23-years-old, already quite experienced and the most important thing: he has goals and assists in his game".

Silva: "The position we see him in is clear, coming from the left," said Silva. "He can also play behind the striker really well. He can even play on the right.

"He has goals and assists in his game" - He never has, IMO. And certainly not enough to warrant the money we spent at the last second of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.