Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think having a TEAM is the biggest issue that needs addressing. How many times do you see a player for us wide open in the 6 yard box, and one of our players with the ball will shoot from a stupid angle. A midfielder play a pass and then stand still or stroll into an area where it would be impossible to receive the ball back. We just do not function properly and it has been an issue for multiple seasons now. There is a huge lack of belief in the side/each other and that needs addressing, or it won't matter who we bring in.

When I watch City play and Arsenal yesterday, the movement and intelligence as a team is on another level. But that same Arsenal squad where not performing like that under Emre.

We do need better players, leaders on the pitch, who want Everton to be successful. Street fighters who hate losing.
But we need a team ethic to really succeed, and I think that ebbed away many years ago, replaced by the mantel of plucky little Everton.
That mentality has to be altered above all else. Hopefully Ancelotti and the stadium progress will help overcome that legacy created by Kenwright.
Man City and Arsenal are playing a game of Chess while we are playing Checkers.

I had that exact same thought in my mind as he scored that goal. It was sublime forward play.

The form of DCL after the lockdown has been the biggest disappointment for me, in regards to he can hold the ball up well, but his finishing and predatory instincts that are the bread and butter of any elite forward, had regressed. He had started to look useful in the winter months, but was that just a fluke purple patch?
I’d argue that DCL’s hold up play is actually poor and never seems able to invite players in to the attack. I also wouldn’t say he has regressed because it was never there. He was just having a good run of form and even with that he scuffed a few goals nearly missing and could have had 20 if he had the ability to finish

I still think having a TEAM is the biggest issue that needs addressing. How many times do you see a player for us wide open in the 6 yard box, and one of our players with the ball will shoot from a stupid angle. A midfielder play a pass and then stand still or stroll into an area where it would be impossible to receive the ball back. We just do not function properly and it has been an issue for multiple seasons now. There is a huge lack of belief in the side/each other and that needs addressing, or it won't matter who we bring in.

When I watch City play and Arsenal yesterday, the movement and intelligence as a team is on another level. But that same Arsenal squad where not performing like that under Emre.

We do need better players, leaders on the pitch, who want Everton to be successful. Street fighters who hate losing.
But we need a team ethic to really succeed, and I think that ebbed away many years ago, replaced by the mantel of plucky little Everton.
That mentality has to be altered above all else. Hopefully Ancelotti and the stadium progress will help overcome that legacy created by Kenwright.
Key part of this is movement. Our CM is so stationary and slow that nearly all transitions immediately break down

I’d argue that DCL’s hold up play is actually poor and never seems able to invite players in to the attack. I also wouldn’t say he has regressed because it was never there. He was just having a good run of form and even with that he scuffed a few goals nearly missing and could have had 20 if he had the ability to finish
Makes you wonder how with our midfield a better striker could have finished the chances dcl missed and finished premier league top scorer.

Makes you wonder how with our midfield a better striker who could have finished the chances dcl missed ontop of his current tally could have finished premier league top scorer.
I wonder that about Kean all the time. Should have played more after the restart and think he’d have 4-5 more goals from it. The kid has what is needed to be great the team needs to trust him and give him the ball

I think the fact that some think GK, some think Defence, some think Midfield and some think Attack is priority... That alone shows what a rebuilding job we have on our hands.

We're miles behind Wolves and Leicester as it stands and I don't expect that gap will be caught up over one summer.

My hope for next season realistically is Battling for Top 8, cup runs and more consistent performances using players who fit the style. Anything more than that will be a huge bonus from where we are currently.
You’re dead right here. So much to do.

Before lockdown we didn't look as far off as we did in the restart we have to hope there were reasons for this and add some key players. Midfield being the biggest one as I will keep banging on about we need at least one midfielder in for preseason to work with the team that will be key.

That’s true. The quality gap is huge. Arsenal have a front three they spent 177 million acquiring. They can also afford to have players like Ozil, Mkhitaryan, and Guendozi frozen out of the squad. That’s why they can turn up against the likes of Chelsea and City and win trophies.

Our best front three includes a Sheffield United academy player who cost 1.5 million and a winger who was deemed not good enough to even make Arsenal’s squad.

It's not just cash though its buying shrewdly. We have spent big on just above average in the main. Its identifying future stars. Leicester and Wolves have done this and Spurs to an extent. We need to be competing for the Europa league positions as a minimum, Burnley, Sheff Utd are doing this it's not too much to ask but it requires good recruitment and stability. We have gone through too many managers, systems and players in the last four or five seasons.

I wonder that about Kean all the time. Should have played more after the restart and think he’d have 4-5 more goals from it. The kid has what is needed to be great the team needs to trust him and give him the ball
I think it will be horses for course. DCL is a great hold up front man and gives CBS a physical tussle. Kean is good with ball on the floor and running at defenders. We have not been playing that way, but if Carlo gets his his high energy midfielder, Kean may start to show a lot more.
Midfield is the key this summer.

I don't get it.

Everton is a team that rely heavily on crosses. Third most accurate crosses in the league. Second most headed goals. Only three players in the league have more headed goals than DCL and Richarlison.

But we should have replaced them with Kean? One of the worst headers of the ball the league has seen? Who has been wasteful in front of goal?

I like Kean. I think he will do well. But he is still raw and need time. And he need to play for a team that plays to his strength. Not to be at the end of a ton of poor crosses.

There is a lot to do , but I am more optimistic than many on here.
I think that the Blurts , City and Chelsea will finish miles clear next season.
Let's face it United are crap , and without their 14 penalties (or however many they got) they would have been nowhere near Champions League qualification.
Even after this miserable season , if we had started the season reasonably , and under Carlo , rather than Silva , we would have been knocking on the door of the top 6.
With a decent transfer window ( both out and in) , I still think that Carlo will have us challenging the top 6. Wolves and Leicester are no great shakes , but many are convincing themselves that they are.

Priority 1 for me is a fast powerful aggressive midfielder who likes to put a foot in. If he can pick out a forward pass, that is an advantage, but, the most important thing is to instill some urgency and strength in the engine room.
Sign a player like that and whoever else we get is a bonus.

It's not just cash though its buying shrewdly. We have spent big on just above average in the main. Its identifying future stars. Leicester and Wolves have done this and Spurs to an extent.

Yes but there’s throwing around bids of 25-35 mill on players (which admittedly we’ve wasted a lot of), then there’s doing what Arsenal did which was 60 mill on Aubameyang, 70 mill on Pepe, 48 mill on Lacazette. That’s repeatedly breaking the club transfer record window after window on proven top attacking talent from Europe. We’re just not in the position to do that.

As you said though we definitely can spend the money we do have far more prudently as Spurs and Wolves have done. I just think it’s another step up even from there to get to the level of consistent trophy winners.

Striker isn’t a priority position for us apparently yet a mid table Arsenal have Aubameyang who finishes everything and we have DCL who chokes 75% of his chances.

What would DCL have done with that Auba chance yesterday? I can tell you he’d not have even been able to fake zouma let alone get a ping off.

I think you will find striker is a priority unless we are just going to play Richarlison upfront on his own.

Whilst i agree, there's a reason aubamayeng cost 30 times the price of dcl. I'd like us to blow a load on a top striker i just can't see it, maybe next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.