Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
and @Barnfred 55

Think we might need to look at it a bit differently in terms of prioritising positions etc.

Honestly think we need four areas all of equal measure – right wing, centre mid, right-back (though a lot depends on who the right winger is) and CB.

Push came to shove if we HAD to go for one first to get our no.1 target, it'd be CM for me.

However, I think there's obviously an argument to say we need 2 CMs (one more of a box-to-box, one more creative).

So, a long-winded point, but given Holgate was very impressive in the admittedly few games he played in a central midfield role, could signing another CB (especially one with pace like Gabriel) actually help us out in two positions.

Long-term, Holgate is a defender and with everyone fit he should 100% be playing there. But if we did sign a CB, it would actually kill two birds with one stone in a way, as Holgate could then always be that extra midfield cover if needed, giving full time to Gbamin to get back and - in an ideal world - acting as an alternative to whoever we hopefully bring in for that central midfield box-to-box role.
Pretty sure I read that Brands said we need to be ‘creative’ this window.. perhaps this is the type of thing he was alluding to.
In the same way, a right back maybe more important than right wing if we persist with Iwobi.. an overlapping right back would definitely allow him to tuck inside and get on the ball more. Or, if you get an explosive, direct winger, Coleman’s deficiency’s in the final third aren’t as problematic.
Ideal world we’d upgrade both positions but that may take a couple of windows.

If you knew anything about an Everton transfer, would you post it on here? The state of the big noises on here chasing another poster off, probably never to return, the second they post anything. We don't even know if it's got any merit or not yet and already they've been marked for death by the ironically "frandly" folk. Some people need to get a hobby.

and @Barnfred 55

Think we might need to look at it a bit differently in terms of prioritising positions etc.

Honestly think we need four areas all of equal measure – right wing, centre mid, right-back (though a lot depends on who the right winger is) and CB.

Push came to shove if we HAD to go for one first to get our no.1 target, it'd be CM for me.

However, I think there's obviously an argument to say we need 2 CMs (one more of a box-to-box, one more creative).

So, a long-winded point, but given Holgate was very impressive in the admittedly few games he played in a central midfield role, could signing another CB (especially one with pace like Gabriel) actually help us out in two positions.

Long-term, Holgate is a defender and with everyone fit he should 100% be playing there. But if we did sign a CB, it would actually kill two birds with one stone in a way, as Holgate could then always be that extra midfield cover if needed, giving full time to Gbamin to get back and - in an ideal world - acting as an alternative to whoever we hopefully bring in for that central midfield box-to-box role.

One game Holgate played in midfield I think. I really don’t think it’s in anyone’s plans to play him there again soon (or he surely would have given our appalling midfield)

If you knew anything about an Everton transfer, would you post it on here? The state of the big noises on here chasing another poster off, probably never to return, the second they post anything. We don't even know if it's got any merit or not yet and already they've been marked for death by the ironically "frandly" folk. Some people need to get a hobby.

Yeah I'm gonna have to ask you to highlight anybody chasing blue cally off?

Cos quite frankly I suspect you have imagined it.

Still don’t get why he had a medical in feb if he wasn’t signing the contract around that time?

One game Holgate played in midfield I think. I really don’t think it’s in anyone’s plans to play him there again soon (or he surely would have given our appalling midfield)
We've also been beset by injuries to our CBs, including Holgate himself. We only have 3 plus the young lad, so it hasn't been possible to play Holgate in CM even if we wanted to. The fact that we have had to play Gomes so much so soon after such an horrific injury shows how close to the barebones we have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.