Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I like to try to have something to look forward to, even if its trivial, and no matter on long on the horizon.

In fact, its the smaller things in life that can help bridge the gap and get you through the day.

For me, even something minor like anticipating sitting down with a cup of tea and a biscuit after a long day can just raise spirits, even if its very minor.

In part, it does so because it's funny, and I can generate a bit of a laugh at myself in the peocess.

I don't know if it's because I'm just maturing a bit now (feel like it could have gone completely the other way if it was a few years ago) but the pandemic has really made me appreciate that you really shouldn't worry about your age, or what you should have done by now... Just like that it can be completely out of your hands. Just have to accept the powerlessness and how perilous life can be, not to stress over stuff and just well, try your best.

Completely true. I'm 32 and i know people who have just decided they need to 'grow up' for literally no reason and spend their walking around John Lewis in jeans and brown shoes.

I have a kid and a 'good' job and I still act the same as I have for the last 7 years or so. I haven't wore a tie in over 5 years and my only suit is what I got when i finished uni. It's great.

As some of you may be aware, I have suffered from very ill mental health in the past, and towards the end of my previous incarnation on GOT, things were so bad that I had no choice but to see the GP and was declared medically unfit to work for around 6 months. One way I was able to combat the illness however was by giving myself something to look forward to, a goal to work towards and I found that in travelling to the point that travelling is my biggest passion in life. However, due to the current situation, the inevitability of not being able to do that is something that I realise I have to accept. I was very hopeful of borders opening up again, however, the likelihood is that many borders to countries that I want to visit will not be opening for at least a year, if not longer. I realise that most European borders are open, but I have been there and done that already.

The coming winter is going to be a very dark place for me.

As some of you may be aware, I have suffered from very ill mental health in the past, and towards the end of my previous incarnation on GOT, things were so bad that I had no choice but to see the GP and was declared medically unfit to work for around 6 months. One way I was able to combat the illness however was by giving myself something to look forward to, a goal to work towards and I found that in travelling to the point that travelling is my biggest passion in life. However, due to the current situation, the inevitability of not being able to do that is something that I realise I have to accept. I was very hopeful of borders opening up again, however, the likelihood is that many borders to countries that I want to visit will not be opening for at least a year, if not longer. I realise that most European borders are open, but I have been there and done that already.

This winter plan the greatest holiday ever, think where you'd love to go how you'll get there where you can stopover getting there and back and where you can go and what you can see when there then compare all hotel booking sites and see if you can keep bringing price down I love this as much as holiday cos you're involved in it for months we did this for big birthday recently flying and visiting around Northern Italy before going to Jerusalem then back to visiting southern Italy. I spent months planning it and enjoyed the planning as much as the holiday.

This winter plan the greatest holiday ever, think where you'd love to go how you'll get there where you can stopover getting there and back and where you can go and what you can see when there then compare all hotel booking sites and see if you can keep bringing price down I love this as much as holiday cos you're involved in it for months we did this for big birthday recently flying and visiting around Northern Italy before going to Jerusalem then back to visiting southern Italy. I spent months planning it and enjoyed the planning as much as the holiday.

Thank you for your sound advice :)

I'm going to give that a go. I'm just petrified that this current situation will be going on for two or three years, I can perhaps survive 1 year without travel, but anymore is going to kill me.

I'm going to give that a go. I'm just petrified that this current situation will be going on for two or three years, I can perhaps survive 1 year without travel, but anymore is going to kill me.
It won't mate, you go ahead and plan your dream holiday, check everything out be meticulous and when restrictions are lifted you'll be ahead of the curve and ready to go on your dream holiday.

I'm sure there'll be some places in Europe or the West you haven't been to to fill the holiday fix if Asia isn't open.

There's Rome but that's more of a city break than anything else.
Rome is stunning mate so much to see and explore then you have beautiful lakes just outside it then you can go to coast nearby and take ferry down amalfi coast and sorrento. Travel real cheap in Italy and best food in the world.

What is it that you love so much about travel mate? While you wait for the borders to open again I wonder if it could be found domestically?

Last year I was tight on cash so decided to go on a cycling holiday domestically (The Ring of Kerry) instead of going abroad. The most I'd ever cycled in recent times was the 20 minutes in and out of work. In previous years I'd been to different spots in Italy, the Greek Islands, and Croatia amongst a few others. They were incredible experiences, and I'd already been to Kerry, so I wasn't really sure how this would compare. In hindsight, the cycling trip was one of the best holidays I've ever had. A completely new experience and way of travelling for me. Gave me a really refreshing appreciation for the landscape and a different pace of life. Even though it pissed rain most of the week I wouldn't trade it for any of the other holidays I had.

Maybe an interesting challenge is to find new ways and new places to travel at home for now?

Without wishing to get too deep and meaningful, maybe you see travel as an escape from your life, and you might need to try and find a way to find pleasure in where you are, rather than trying to escape that place ?

Travel, and it's experiences are great, but you should be able to appreciate all the good things around you as well, but you need to be able to recognise them first.

I don't have an answer as to how to do that, but it might be something to think about ?

That's an awesome idea. I'm going to do it, just because it sounds like fun!

What is it that you love so much about travel mate? While you wait for the borders to open again I wonder if it could be found domestically?

Last year I was tight on cash so decided to go on a cycling holiday domestically (The Ring of Kerry) instead of going abroad. The most I'd ever cycled in recent times was the 20 minutes in and out of work. In previous years I'd been to different spots in Italy, the Greek Islands, and Croatia amongst a few others. They were incredible experiences, and I'd already been to Kerry, so I wasn't really sure how this would compare. In hindsight, the cycling trip was one of the best holidays I've ever had. A completely new experience and way of travelling for me. Gave me a really refreshing appreciation for the landscape and a different pace of life. Even though it pissed rain most of the week I wouldn't trade it for any of the other holidays I had.

Maybe an interesting challenge is to find new ways and new places to travel at home for now?

Honestly, this is what I think of when I think about holidaying in the UK and Ireland.

Just pissing down with rain all the time, scallies in their trackies and jarg haircuts, brexit, tories... need I go on?

@Catfish Blues

The UK is such a depressing place to holiday. The only reason why I tolerate living here is the wages are pretty good compared to elsewhere and I want to be looked after in my old age, if I decide to live that long, I'm still thinking the age of 50 is a decent age for me to bow out :)

I should say that there is one thing in the UK I'd like to do and that is to take the Caledonian Sleeper. Apart from that, there's nothing else for me.