Sentimentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro789

Player Valuation: £5m
Been killing this club for years. Keeping hold of players years past their best, long contracts for kids who'll never make it at this level, senior executives and coaches given jobs way above their ability as long as they're blues.

There's nothing competitive or ruthless about the club, on or off the pitch. There's culture of fatalism (never once have we stood up for ourselves against shocking PL/refereeing decisions) and acceptance of mediocrity.

And the players know it. They don't have to try too hard, as long as they're nice lads they can hang around for years and pick up millions.

It's structural and until we do something about it, it's more of the same.

Been killing this club for years. Keeping hold of players years past their best, long contracts for kids who'll never make it at this level, senior executives and coaches given jobs way above their ability as long as they're blues.

There's nothing competitive or ruthless about the club, on or off the pitch. There's culture of fatalism (never once have we stood up for ourselves against shocking PL/refereeing decisions) and acceptance of mediocrity.

And the players know it. They don't have to try too hard, as long as they're nice lads they can hang around for years and pick up millions.

Totally agree and personified by Blue Bill

Yep , spot on and I should have added our CEO to that list.

Nice person , good charitable credentials , totally unsuited to be Everton's chief executive.

Yep, there was a little bit of chatter about a candidate for the CEO role who was (I think) on the Board of BP at the time.

Nothing at all 'wrong' with DBB, local girl done good, but it's impossible to argue it was the best appointment we could have made.

images

Get him out.

We left it in the hands of a 35 year old getting minimal game time to decide whether HE not THE CLUB would decide to stay for another season. That tells you all you need to know about the problem at this club.

Yep, there was a little bit of chatter about a candidate for the CEO role who was (I think) on the Board of BP at the time.

Nothing at all 'wrong' with DBB, local girl done good, but it's impossible to argue it was the best appointment we could have made.
She's maleable. Easy to manipulate by an owner who is really calling the shots...the wrong ones.

Last thing in the word Moshiri wants is a David Gill type figure in charge.

It has all the hallmarks of an old boys club.

Into the 5th year of Moshiri's tenure and the same faces in situ, some promoted, and some returning to the club.

One or two fresh faces coming in would find it very hard to question the status quo.

There needed to be a clean-out at Chairman/CEO and Board Level with new people, with no ties to the club brought in.

That would have been the signal that the club was under new management. It still isn't and that's a huge part of the problem.

Some good points but even the new regime used the words ‘expected loss’
We might have jumped out the frying pan and into the fire.

I hope not but there’s been times when we could have made a big deal of things and we’ve just disappeared into the shadows, the fireworks aimed at the Liver Birds for one.
It transfers onto the pitch, you see the likes of Man U players surround the referee, ours don’t even appeal to him.

We left it in the hands of a 35 year old getting minimal game time to decide whether HE not THE CLUB would decide to stay for another season. That tells you all you need to know about the problem at this club.

....players are offered contracts, players are free to turn them down. You don’t think Baines is good enough, Ancelotti clearly wanted him to stay so the club backed the manager. I very much doubt Ancelotti was being sentimental, I think he just thinks Baines is a useful playing option to have.

Criticise Ancelotti/Brands rather than ‘the club’. If Baines was such a waster he could have sat earning big bucks for another 12 months.

....players are offered contracts, players are free to turn them down. You don’t think Baines is good enough, Ancelotti clearly wanted him to stay so the club backed the manager. I very much doubt Ancelotti was being sentimental, I think he just thinks Baines is a useful playing option to have.

Criticise Ancelotti/Brands rather than ‘the club’.
Ancelotti isn't daft. He's seen how making enemies of players at this club ends up with a team downing tools.

He, as a number of managers have done, have pacified Baines. I still wouldn't put it past Ancelotti to hand Baines a coaching role to stop the stick he'll get if he was on the outside of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.