2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can anybody be a fan of what he has done or shown this season.he's robbing us blind paid handsomely to play football for us yet he contributes zilch.we coyld be called fickle fans if we were on his back after a few appearances but he's been garbage all season. even a bit of effort was shown by him then it's a different story. but he turns up not a hair out of place and 90 mins later still not a hair out of place he makes no effort no fight no bottle no excuse for hIm
the odd goal he scored bought him time and fans were a bit more patient as Mr bizzle points out.

He wasn't that great in his first season with us either mate.Great goals return last season but he blew hot and cold performance wise, and absolutely atrocious this season. One of our worst ever buys.

I did loathe him.

You'd find lots of quotes of me on here referring to him being the leading example of why "stats lie". Highlight reel player.

So won't find me being hypocritical.

Infact, I did one better and I am linking you to a post from me, from January 2019 pointing this out...

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/gylfi-sigurdsson.104350/post-6810256

Ha ha fair play mate, you really don’t let’s say not rate him, went a bit quiet though when he on his decent run from March on, but you’ve been consistent and you have to respect that. We differ in opinion then.

how can anybody be a fan of what he has done or shown this season.he's robbing us blind paid handsomely to play football for us yet he contributes zilch.we coyld be called fickle fans if we were on his back after a few appearances but he's been garbage all season. even a bit of effort was shown by him then it's a different story. but he turns up not a hair out of place and 90 mins later still not a hair out of place he makes no effort no fight no bottle no excuse for hIm
the odd goal he scored bought him time and fans were a bit more patient as Mr bizzle points out.

I am to be fair to me.

Ha ha fair play mate, you really don’t let’s say not rate him, went a bit quiet though when he on his decent run from March on, but you’ve been consistent and you have to respect that. We differ in opinion then.

Think i'd have been banned if I started fuming after we'd just went on a run of 10 points from 4 games against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and United to be fair. lol

Just doesn't do it for me, hasn't for a while. Was excited when we signed him, but after a run where he actually got to play in the middle, I saw nothing to be excited about. But you're right, we're all different!

different opinions fair play

Exactly mate all good, I’m happy enough to break rank and back the lad.

A player I always liked, followed him from Reading, Germany, Swansea, Spurs, Swansea and made up when he signed. I think he’s quality.

He’s a player I look at and see the quality he has, I look at some of our players and see limits but not Gylfi. Some of our players I have no time for, some I have sympathy for and Gylfi is one.

I ask myself is the problem Gylfi or Everton? He’s a proven PL player capable of pushing double figures in attacking stats. I’m not sure, Everton has been good for him in his three years here, he’s had 7 different managers all different styles, all different ways of playing and positions asked of him.

His first season he was the season of three no 10’s and he was often shunted out to the flank, we also didn’t have a forward, 3 managers that season, then the Allardyce spoil show impacted.

His second season and his best was productive, double figures, goals and impactful, played in his proper position in my opinion, central in between the lines for most of the season. People creaming themselves over Grealish and he’s only on 7 goals.

His third season, largely asked to do a job in deep midfield due to injury and poor recruitment, flogged, not his best position, three managers in one season.

He’s never grumbled, been pro. I look at the situation and I think has Everton been good to Gylfi and given him the platform to perform, it’s a no really and it’s been a bad move for him club wise given all that happened.

But then I would be a fan of his.

Exactly mate all good, I’m happy enough to break rank and back the lad.

A player I always liked, followed him from Reading, Germany, Swansea, Spurs, Swansea and made up when he signed. I think he’s quality.

He’s a player I look at and see the quality he has, I look at some of our players and see limits but not Gylfi. Some of our players I have no time for, some I have sympathy for and Gylfi is one.

I ask myself is the problem Gylfi or Everton? He’s a proven PL player capable of pushing double figures in attacking stats. I’m not sure, Everton has been good for him in his three years here, he’s had 7 different managers all different styles, all different ways of playing and positions asked of him.

His first season he was the season of three no 10’s and he was often shunted out to the flank, we also didn’t have a forward, 3 managers that season, then the Allardyce spoil show impacted.

His second season and his best was productive, double figures, goals and impactful, played in his proper position in my opinion, central in between the lines for most of the season. People creaming themselves over Grealish and he’s only on 7 goals.

His third season, largely asked to do a job in deep midfield due to injury and poor recruitment, flogged, not his best position, three managers in one season.

He’s never grumbled, been pro. I look at the situation and I think has Everton been good to Gylfi and given him the platform to perform, it’s a no really and it’s been a bad move for him club wise given all that happened.

But then I would be a fan of his.

Good players make bad managers look good.

Bruno Fernandes is key example in recent time for me. Messi/Ronaldo in Spain.

Fact is, his imput isn't enough, I know he's a not meant to be a tackling midfielder, and the style we play isn't his way presently but how can you justify 2 goals, 2 assists? In the last 5 games he's made 7 tackles. It's not acceptable.

I'd argue the reason he's not grumbling is because he's 31 nearly, and banking north of £125k a week. He won't get anywhere close to that!

Good players make bad managers look good.

Bruno Fernandes is key example in recent time for me. Messi/Ronaldo in Spain.

Fact is, his imput isn't enough, I know he's a not meant to be a tackling midfielder, and the style we play isn't his way presently but how can you justify 2 goals, 2 assists? In the last 5 games he's made 7 tackles. It's not acceptable.

I'd argue the reason he's not grumbling is because he's 31 nearly, and banking north of £125k a week. He won't get anywhere close to that!

To be honest mate, I consider him to be playing out of position, I don’t see him as a central midfielder either 6 or 8, for me he’s playing out of position. If you put Fernandez at 6 he’s not going to be as effective, if you take away Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and Pogba he might struggle also, it’s a bit of an unfair comparison.

People are talking about Grealish as 60 mill player, 7 goals and 7 assists, Gylfi clocked 13 and 6 last season. Full tilt, weve a player in my opinion, I’m not blind, I see he’s struggling in an alien position, just trying to share what I see as context and reasons for being ineffective, which I think are many and are fair mitigation.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.