Do Everton fans contribute to Everton's inferiority complex?

Do Everton fans contribute to Everton's inferiority complex?

• Yes

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 51.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The club has embraced the happy to be here good neighbor mediocrity to a shocking degree... but I don’t think Evertonians are any more negative than any other club’s fans seem to be. You Brits do love a good moan about your football.

The records are stark, but how do we explain mentalities lasting generations? It doesn't make any sense. I saw that when you mentioned it on twitter loads of people were saying 'it was moyes'. It's embarrassing. We hadn't won at Arsenal for 7 years before Moyes joined, we haven't won there for 7 years since he left. But it's his fault. We've won at Anfield half a dozen times since WWII but it's because of the manager we appointed in 2002. OK sure, that makes sense lads.

I totally agree that the stats are crazy, but ultimately we would have been second favourites for pretty much every single one of the individual games we're talking about. It's not like we're choking under expectation, we're just never doing better than we're expecting.

That mentality lasting generations adds to the suggestion it's the culture of a club, and does that include fans?

When you compare Everton to other clubs in world football (not just opposition records, but recovery from losing positions) - we're definitely an anomaly. It's a problem, one Ancelotti spoke up as a priority and not something we can brush off as "just the way it is, innit".

The inferiority complex comes from the fans.

No one outside of Everton actually thinks everton arent one of the biggest and oldest clubs in the country, id say thats universal regardless of who they support. Its a fact.

We think we are worse than we actually are.

The records are stark, but how do we explain mentalities lasting generations? It doesn't make any sense. I saw that when you mentioned it on twitter loads of people were saying 'it was moyes'. It's embarrassing. We hadn't won at Arsenal for 7 years before Moyes joined, we haven't won there for 7 years since he left. But it's his fault. We've won at Anfield half a dozen times since WWII but it's because of the manager we appointed in 2002. OK sure, that makes sense lads.

I totally agree that the stats are crazy, but ultimately we would have been second favourites for pretty much every single one of the individual games we're talking about. It's not like we're choking under expectation, we're just never doing better than we're expecting.

Teams get results every week that people weren't expecting.

Everton always gets the result you expect when we face a top 6 side.

We have changed managers, players, owners and the 1 constant in the last 25 years has been only 1 thing.

images

The new Park End was built in 1995, since then Everton have never won a trophy.

I would say the biggest problem is the acceptance of mediocrity.

Clapping Naismith when scoring against us.

Holding DCL up as being good enough because he scores a few goals in 3 months out of 3 years at the club.

Clapping Kenwright on the screen that time at GP.

Backing the likes of Tom Davies as being good enough despite having over 100 apps for the club and doing largely little.

I get why Evertonians are pessimistic when we've been let down so much over the years but no way would say the Kopites accept the rubbish we do.

The inferiority complex comes from the fans.

No one outside of Everton actually thinks everton arent one of the biggest and oldest clubs in the country, id say thats universal regardless of who they support. Its a fact.

We think we are worse than we actually are.

A club that hasn't won a trophy in 25 years can not claim to be a big club.

THATS the problem, unrealistic expectations, everybody compares us to the top 6, to compete with the top 6 we need to compete with the top 10, something we have done very little of in the last 5 years.

If fans lowered their expectations and allowed the club to grow slowly things would go much smoother.

That mentality lasting generations adds to the suggestion it's the culture of a club, and does that include fans?

When you compare Everton to other clubs in world football (not just opposition records, but recovery from losing positions) - we're definitely an anomaly. It's a problem, one Ancelotti spoke up as a priority and not something we can brush off as "just the way it is, innit".
Well what should we do then? I mean i'll be honest with you, to me the idea that we as fans can somehow affect how Everton perform in an away game sounds like the sort of crazy nonsense that Noel Edmonds would have peddled on deal or no deal - 'if we all just hold hands and believe that we'll win then we will' - but i'm absolutely willing to do whatever it is you think will help us to start winning. If you can't tell me what this is, what else can we do but brush it off as the way it is?

Well what should we do then? I mean i'll be honest with you, to me the idea that we as fans can somehow affect how Everton perform in an away game sounds like the sort of crazy nonsense that Noel Edmonds would have peddled on deal or no deal - 'if we all just hold hands and believe that we'll win then we will' - but i'm absolutely willing to do whatever it is you think will help us to start winning. If you can't tell me what this is, what else can we do but brush it off as the way it is?

Then vote no to the poll as clearly, you don't think fans contribute to the performance and results of a football club.

Currently, you're in the minority.

From personal experience of what I’ve read and heard yes. Trying to belittle, troll or shame fellow fans for wanting the club to do better or more specifically not seeing eye to eye on what that entails is a little bizarre to me. It’s not the disagreeing or having a little wind up , I think most of us enjoy that stuff it’s when it becomes vitriolic I find it odd.

The club have appointed Carlo Ancelotti, he's had a very solid, promising start.

Interesting how quick he's picked up on the clubs mentality needing to improve.

Can the fan base help with that? Successive Everton managers have said Everton players have been afraid to play at Goodison Park.

Or does it make no difference when fans are so pessimistic?

Can fans influence the mentality and culture of football clubs? Giorgio Chiellini made reference to it with Spurs here.

Answers on a postcard.
The fanbase can help when the team starts delivering simple as that, We sell away ends all the time, People get angry/annoyed quickly because we're let down ALL the time.
How do you change that?
Beating Liverpool for starters.
Performing away.
Not hiding away to the "top 6."
Also agree with what Goat said about fan expectations too, I think it's way too high

From personal experience of what I’ve read and heard yes. Trying to belittle, troll or shame fellow fans for wanting the club to do better or more specifically not seeing eye to eye on what that entails is a little bizarre to me. It’s not the disagreeing or having a little wind up , I think most of us enjoy that stuff it’s when it becomes vitriolic I find it odd.

I personally think this forum holds no sway in the football club.

Very few players read this place.

The problem stems from Twitter and Instagram where fans abuse the players and of course at stadiums.

If you had a bad game and some egg on Twitter called you a coward, how eager would you be next game to pull your tripe out?

We have an inferiority complex
We never expect to win away against top sides, we always look at it as a draw at best,
We always expect to get beat against the RS,
We always expect any decent player to pick someone else when were bidding,
Whenever a half decent side pulls a goal Back we expect the worse....
Maybe it's the years of awful sides I've grown up with (since 91), or the succession of awful inflexible managers but I wish I had the faith older fans who've seen us win stuff had

Our expectations, based on realism, are now low.

The club knows we will accept any old crap, and still turn up for the next home game.

Look at our disgraceful record against the RS, which we now accept with complete alacrity.

This is a club which embraces mediocrity, and us schmucks (sorry fans) are now too tired to rebel.

Just watch the match tonight, a bunch of overpaid loafers not fit to wear the royal blue jersey, but we all still cheer them on anyway.

'One day this will change', we all say, but sadly this is has been our mantra for the past 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.