New Everton Stadium Discussion

I guess with budget constraints, rising costs, and the changing environment, we were never going to get anything other than a design without bells and whistles attached. We saw that too with the modest capacity accomodated.

I imagine Laing will look to reduce costs further.

As others have said, location is central to this.

My first impression, which I still hold, on the design, is that its sufficient, without being in any way iconic or mind-blowing, it certainly hasn't achieved those heights.

My thoughts are now, just get the thing started and built.

The longer it takes to get started and finished, the slower the club is to the development that is absolutely critical to any hope of a promising future.

That's youre view Dave, but it's not the majority view is it?

I agree with a lot of what you say about Meis too. You know me, I'm never one to miss an opportunity to criticise the board, but in this instance I can't criticise them. I never really understood the Meis love in, and actually found him a little condescending in his interactions with fans (in all honestyit was the mask slipping).

However we do have some difficulty defining what is "underwhelming". Whatever we think about the stadium design, the majority of fans seem to be overly supportive of it, so I can't see much sense in starting again.

I actually hare your view, I think the designs are ok, as expected. They wowed me as much as the Kings Dock designs. A stadium down in that part of town is easy to look good.

Getting the tattoo was a stroke of genius because it worked with some of our more gullible fans. Now he's gone he'll wash it off with a bit of soap and water.

I guess with budget constraints, rising costs, and the changing environment, we were never going to get anything other than a design without bells and whistles attached.

Meis' whole ethos is to strip back stadium design which he thinks has become way too bloated in recent years. The club would've known this when they brought him on board.

That's not to say you'll get a basic identikit stadium; it's obvious he's tried to make something unique for the setting and has based some of the design aspects on Goodison. But there shouldn't be any surprise that it's not got all the bells and whistles of some newer stadiums. That was always going to be the case as soon as Meis was named as the architect.

The possible worry going forward is that the quality of the build might be compromised without the design architect having a voice in the room, looking after what is his baby. That might prove completely unfounded, but there is more chance of value engineered, cut-cost solutions being approved now. It's one thing to say Meis has done his bit and isn't needed anymore. True...but I'm not sure it's completely normal (or necessarily a good thing) for the designer to be dispensed with completely at this stage on a project this big. I'd still want him on board in some capacity, even if he is massively cringey on twitter.

Sure it was in a leaked document and the thoughts at the time were that it was just a placeholder before the final design.

It was, there was a leaked design, it had the "EVERTON" in big letters on the glass, it was leaked about a year or so before and it was universally panned on here as not being the design and just a bad mock up.

Obviously there have been tweaks since, but it was very much leaked on here.

I didnt like meis and i agree with you and dave on him. His tattoo was pure cringe as well.

As for his design, its good but its not mind blowing or "iconic". As Dave said, the location makes it really, and while it is nice and certainly, with the brickwork, in keeping with the area, its not going to stand out in a line of iconic stadia.

Indeed the we saw the original plan that the final design has tweaked from a year or so before the final look was announced and everyone absolutely hated it!

No they didn’t you strange, strange poster.

The Liverpool planning committee have meetings every 2 weeks (on a Tuesday) and release the agenda for each meeting a week in advance. The next meeting is 14/07 and we’re not on that agenda - it’ll be a minimum of 3 weeks to approval. Could be 5, 7, 9 weeks easily.

I was trying to gauge similar projects and whether they had been reviewed - there was a 8 storey hotel (107 to 125 Duke Street) development reviewed last week that was submitted 2 months before the stadium was. It’s not the same scale but it’s a bit more than an extension at the back of your gaff, so if I was to stick my neck out on date - planning granted on the 25th August.

Watch this space.