New Everton Stadium Discussion

I dont see anything controversial in what I stated.

Meis obviously played the club fan base in order to say the board. And the design is underwhelming.

That's youre view Dave, but it's not the majority view is it?

I agree with a lot of what you say about Meis too. You know me, I'm never one to miss an opportunity to criticise the board, but in this instance I can't criticise them. I never really understood the Meis love in, and actually found him a little condescending in his interactions with fans (in all honestyit was the mask slipping).

However we do have some difficulty defining what is "underwhelming". Whatever we think about the stadium design, the majority of fans seem to be overly supportive of it, so I can't see much sense in starting again.

I actually hare your view, I think the designs are ok, as expected. They wowed me as much as the Kings Dock designs. A stadium down in that part of town is easy to look good.

That Meis statement is really interesting actually. It shows that he deliberately targeted gullible, malleable "influencers" in the fanbase with blag little rumours and early "sketches" as a cynical way of trying to secure further business via popular acclaim. He's dropped these contacts like hot mess now that he's not got any more money coming this way.

Excellent article on The Athletic this morning.

Aye.

BM being the key to moving to proper "challenger club" status is spot on I think. It won't mean we are right up there from the off but it should be a crucial tool in being able to break in to the top 6 consistently, and the upward cycle of prize money, sponsorship and commercial revenue that results.

We need to be far more considered in our aims I think and build gradually, not just throw ludicrous amounts of money about to try and take shortcuts.

I agree with a lot of what you say about Meis too. You know me, I'm never one to miss an opportunity to criticise the board, but in this instance I can't criticise them. I never really understood the Meis love in, and actually found him a little condescending in his interactions with fans (in all honestyit was the mask slipping).

However we do have some difficulty defining what is "underwhelming". Whatever we think about the stadium design, the majority of fans seem to be overly supportive of it, so I can't see much sense in starting again.

I actually hare your view, I think the designs are ok, as expected. They wowed me as much as the Kings Dock designs. A stadium down in that part of town is easy to look good.

I didnt like meis and i agree with you and dave on him. His tattoo was pure cringe as well.

As for his design, its good but its not mind blowing or "iconic". As Dave said, the location makes it really, and while it is nice and certainly, with the brickwork, in keeping with the area, its not going to stand out in a line of iconic stadia.

Indeed the we saw the original plan that the final design has tweaked from a year or so before the final look was announced and everyone absolutely hated it!

The design is bog standard brick and glass. As I've said all along though, it's almost secondary (design) to location.

But the feature Meis added as the signature (the criss cross brickwork) is very much what an outsider sucking up to the fanbase would feel was appropriate.

The Leitch criss crosses were all to do with Goodison Park (and many other grounds it should be said). We should cut all ties to that and produce something - as a signature - that underlines who we are now.

Bramley Moore 3.jpg

The design is bog standard brick and glass. As I've said all along though, it's almost secondary (design) to location.

But the feature Meis added as the signature (the criss cross brickwork) is very much what an outsider sucking up to the fanbase would feel was appropriate.

The Leitch criss crosses were all to do with Goodison Park (and many other grounds it should be said). We should cut all ties to that and produce something - as a signature - that underlines who we are now.

Your final point is fine, but the problem is thats what lots of fans want.

I think the design is great, but there are probably hundreds of other designs which would also impress us equally.
It isn't as if this is the ultimate and only design.

My understanding is that Dan Meis was contracted to do a job, he did it very well and was paid for it.

From the outset it was know( by those in the trade) that the next phase of development was a separate contract and would not automatically fall to Dan Meis, which it hasn't.

I expect the developer and the new architects already have a working relationship which would be important.

My belief is that Dan Meis should have kept his mouth shut and could still have been involved by the club as the design architect which would have kept him close to the project and the publicity that would flow as the ground gets built and eventually opened.
At the moment there seems to be a bitterness which may make his future association with the next phase difficult.