2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomes still our best midfield player but he is off the pace ATM...

Coming back from a bad injury will take time & he is still not match fit imo....

We won't see the best of him till next season....
His performance against Villa is still in my mind.

We all love Gomes, but Christ he’s slow.

Everytime someone goes past him he tugs at the shirt as well.

Seemed slow mentally today as well, peripheral...when Siggi is looking better than you you're having a bad day.
Edit; loans finished, got the contract and an previous injury to justify strolling about...or am I too harsh?

I agree since he has come back he is off the pace...

His bad injury has no doubt played a big part & when you have been out injured for a long time it does takes time to get match fit...

He has done brilliant to get back playing this early but we can't expect too much too soon...

I don't expect Gomes to be fully fit until next season & then hopefully we get a fitter & faster Gomes back....

That’s so true. Just got Tony Scott on a podcast here slating Iwobi, and rightly so. Then when o keefe rips into Gomes, Scott says it’s because he’s playing alongside rubbish and he needs 7/8 games to get going. Even when his best games for us were no doubt when he arrived off the back of an injury. Talk about bias views for favourite players.
Yes that made me laugh. He was rubbish because he hasn’t got anyone good alongside him.
Pre injury he had about 5 good games in 35.
But I’m sure his fan base will have a readymade excuse for that.

It’s like prenno sticks up for a lot of players, including Pickford. Was probably digne’s Fault that ball went through his fingers.

I thought he played quite well yesterday. There seems to be this two sided debate on him, and I probably fall between the cracks. One side suggest he's world class just getting back to fitness, the other state this is his best and he's not world class.

He will get better, I don't think he is going to right all the wrongs in his game.

There's a bit of mythology around him because hes handsome and a nice bloke. However like most players he does some things well and others less so. Without the ball he's a bit static, he can go missing in certain games and is a bit inconsistent. Against Norwich he was poor.

However yesterday and in the derby I think he did well. You have to factor in he's up against 3 in that area of the pitch which isn't easy. Yesterday he's against Teilemans who's apparently a bargain at £45 million (Not for me) and Ndidi who is meant to be one of the best in the business. Playing next to him is Sigurdsson who's meant to be terrible. I think we gave as good as we got in that area of the pitch, which is by no means a massive criticism.

As the game went on, I thought he got us up the pitch well, and took the ball in difficult areas, winning us some key fouls in the process and holding players off him.

As with most of this team, he's not perfect but he's doing ok for us.

But he’s not good enough to build a midfield around. Pick out passes? He has one assist in 40 games.
I agree that he's most likely not the level required to build a midfield around if we're aiming for cups, but he's a midfielder that does most of his play in the middle or even defensive third rather than go looking for assists. You can be a good passer of the ball (which he is), finding players who move into space, without being someone that picks up a lot of assists.

I agree that he's most likely not the level required to build a midfield around if we're aiming for cups, but he's a midfielder that does most of his play in the middle or even defensive third rather than go looking for assists. You can be a good passer of the ball (which he is), finding players who move into space, without being someone that picks up a lot of assists.
Yes I agree about the assists part. Dembele from spurs didn’t get a lot of assists. But he would dominate the middle of the pitch.
Gomes doesn’t use his size to good effect, just seems weak and slow.

I can only see him surviving if Ancelotti plays a similar system to Napoli, where he had Zielinski or Ruiz wide. Usually Zielinski. And Ruiz would partner Allan.

I'd spare him a start against Spurs, he looked completely gassed yesterday. Don't think he can take another game by Monday.

It would leave us in a quandary, but I'd move Holgate to CM alongside Gylfi and start Mina.
I'd agree 100% there, I think you're risking an injury if you put Gomes in from the start again, he was utterly knackered. Think some of Holgate's steel in midfield will be much needed for Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.