2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I'd write a bit more on Gordon today, so here goes.

He's done really really well in all 3 games I've seen him, but particularly last night. As I think I've made quite clear, I don't get the chance to watch the younger players anywhere near as much as I did 5 years ago so wasn't as aware of Gordon coming through as I was with some of the others. That being said I was quite cautious on Gordon's chances, not because his record wasn't impressive but I suppose because it was no more impressive than a number of players who have struggled a little bit on making the jump.

He played a lot for the 18's as a 16 year old and got a bit of exposure for the 23's as an under 17 and then on from there. However if you look at say Ledson, Dowell, Evans, Kenny they all had equal, if not better records at playing above themselves in terms of age. I'll probably come back to this point but their record was better than his but they ultimately didn't quite make the jump. So to me it was always a maybe chance. I mean Evans in particular was electric as a lad going into the under 17's from the 23's pre-season tour and we looked to unearth another but ultimately he just lost his way a bit and struggled with growing pains.

From the bits I've seen of him in the 18's, he always had the ability to arrive late into the box and score "scruffy" goals. The comparisons with Dowell were certainly there, as he looked sort of similar (a slight small lad) who clearly had good vision and played off the front. However he used to burst into the box more than Dowell and get on the end of crosses. As he got a bit older, while he scored the odd worldie, you could see he carried the ball more quickly than Dowell did.

To go back to the point a couple of comparisons above, and as I said the other day, you can see with him, that the skills he has translate more easily to mens football. The way he carries the ball, the speed he does it with but also the acceleration and ability to subtly change direction and go either side is very rare and very sought after in mens football. I suspect it's why he looks to have made the leap over the others. I mean Bernard is a very good player, and has broader skills than Gordon, but his ability to carry the ball with such speed and precision he doesn't have, or isn't close to having.

The exciting thing for Gordon is that I only think we've seen a bit of his ability so far. He's had two tough home games to start with and shown an awful lot of ability. The fact the manager kept him on over Iwobi to play in the 10 is a biog vote of confidence. He has a good shot on him and a real eye for a goal, good with both feet etc. As he gets more confident I think he can add more end product to his game. He also has a good build, looks about 5 ft 10 or 11 and will begin to fill out and get stronger. As I said the other day, in terms of style he reminds me a lot of Steve Mcmanaman who seemed to be able to sway past defenders on either side.

A final bit of praise perhaps for David Unsworth. He looks like a footballer who knows his defensive responsibilities and I know Ancelotti has spoken a lot about "trusting" him. If you watch him yesterday, and even in the derby he is constantly back into good defensive positions when we lose the ball. If you compare that to say, Ademola Lookman who also had lots of ability, you could see with Lookman he didn't really have the positional understanding without the ball. Gordon seems to be able to slot in to different positions and do the defensive side of the game too, which is a big plus as it will get him on the pitch more.

So yes, for a lad who's just turned 19 it was a very impressive debut. The usual caveats that we have seen good debuts before-Davies, Billy Kenny, Cadamateri, Branch etc who have petered out. Hopefully he keeps his head down and keeps improving.

Certainly looks to have a bit of devil in him

1593692092576.png

Did he play up front at youth / reserve level?

I could see him starting alongside Calvert-Lewin on Monday if Richarlison doesn't make it.

Not really but it's where I personally think he'll end up in his career.
Considering how Richarlison is more or less given licence to roam, I think that it'll be either Gordon or Sigurdsson replacing him at Spurs. The way he took Digne's knock-down in his stride in the buildup to the first goal yesterday, it isn't difficult to imagine Gordon playing off Calvert-Lewin.

The writing will well and truly be on the wall for Kean if that's the case.

View attachment 92944View attachment 92945

He'll go far with this attitude, Christiano Ronaldo works so hard on his fitness and if he has the same work ethic he'll be on the right path.

Technically good and seems to have a good bit of pace, looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

I think the same actually. He comes across as really bright and mature and you can see the marked difference in physique above. That will also gove you confidence on the pitch. Hes still growing, hopefully upwards as well as outwards a bit, but it certainly bodes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.