2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what people are saying before this season. However do people want him to score every week? If so you've probably got a handful of players who can do that, and none will come to Everton.
Yes before this season I had questions too. I can go back and find posts saying if he doesn't impress we should give Kean a bunch of chances. But a young player getting better like he has is supposed to happen.

In fairness though mate, he's had regular output this season and you've called it a purple patch. He will get 15+ this season and we could get a hatful in those last 3 or 4 games.

Tbh im bored of arguing the same points so im not gonna bother mate - to conclude:

1. Half his tally came from hustle and bustle capitalising on defender mistakes & De Gea howlers (1 which was probably a foul)

2. Be runs the channels well and works hard - good

3. Outside of those said 3 months he hasnt scored or looked anywhere near as dangerous in the box including the last 4 games.

I just think too many are desperate for him to be something he's not - he's improved so the logical conclusion is keep sticking and he'll keep improving but goalscoring is a natural instinct its not something you can teach imo - for me he's a useful squad player but in certain games we are desperate for an out and out finisher.

If we had someone better than Kean who you could rotate with DCL depending on the opposition that would be ideal but it seems we are determined to keep Kean going off Carlo's comments.

...Lukaku is a CF who scores goals and I’m almost certain we don’t win that game tonight with Lukaku. Terrific finisher, but I watched him so many times when we were under the cosh and he went missing.

Our back four will be chuffed to have DCL tonight. I 100% guarantee they‘d prefer to have him tonight than a Lukaku.

I disagree - Lukaku bursts through that Leicester side on the counter today to smash the ball in 3-1.

Rom was bad in the games where teams sat back and the ball was to his feet.

Tbh im bored of arguing the same points so im not gonna bother mate - to conclude:

1. Half his tally came from hustle and bustle capitalising on defender mistakes & De Gea howlers (1 which was probably a foul)

3. Outside of those said 3 months he hasnt scored or looked anywhere near as dangerous in the box including the last 4 games.

I just think too many are desperate for him to be something he's not - he's improved so the logical conclusion is keep sticking and he'll keep improving but goalscoring is a natural instinct its not something you can teach imo - for me he's a useful squad player but in certain games we are desperate for an out and out finisher.

If we had someone better than Kean who you could rotate with DCL depending on the opposition that would be ideal but it seems we are determined to keep Kean going off Carlo's comments.

I disagree - Lukaku bursts through that Leicester side on the counter today to smash the ball in 3-1.

Just to come back on those points. The De Gea foul (it wasn't) wasn't his goal was it? It was an OG. He has 1 lucky goal against De Gea, but in the same game, has 1 goal ruled out ridiculously. I'm not sure how it's half his goals.

He's been on a great run, thats for sure, but it is what strikers tend to do. Vardy had a great run and is now something like 1 game he's scored in in 12. It happens. But across a season you look at his goal return. In open play 13 in 32, likely to get to 16/17. Thats pretty good, especially considering the rubbish at the start of the season. In the last 25 years, I can only think of 1 player, in 1 season who scored more. I want him to get more too but I don't think players who consistently score more that that will be coming our war.

Do you mean the last 3 games, since lockdown mate? And if so I agree, he looks to be getting his fitness back for me. I'm looking for him to up his goal return as he gets fitter thats for sure. He's probably missed 1 good chance against Norwich. So needs to get into better positions.

....compare Lukaku to a 35 year old Ibrahimovic when they last played at Goodison and the contrast was stark. The 35 year old led the line, went to war with a Everton back four and was always an out ball for both full backs. Lukaku stayed central, we were under the cosh, he offered nothing.

I sat in the Park End that day and quietly studied them both. The contrast was stark, i was full of admiration for the Swedish international, he was magnificent.

Of course we can get better than DCL, but a ‘boss slotter’ isn’t the be all and end all.

....compare Lukaku to a 35 year old Ibrahimovic when they last played at Goodison and the contrast was stark. The 35 year old led the line, went to war with a Everton back four and was always an out ball for both full backs. Lukaku stayed central, we were under the cosh, he offered nothing.

I sat in the Park End that day and quietly studied them both. The contrast was stark, i was full of admiration for the Swedish international, he was magnificent.

Of course we can get better than DCL, but a ‘boss slotter’ isn’t the be all and end all.

I see both sides of the debate. The games we missed Lukaku to me was like Arsenal away, where we missed lots of good chances. Lukaku was top draw, and is top draw, but in games where you're defending a lot he didn't do much

This is where I disagree with people - you achieve things with one of the following in football:

1. A boss all round team

Or

2. Having world class strikers

Its much cheaper overall for us to go out and get a boss CF slotter to partner Richarlison/ Have DCL rotating when necessary along with 2-3 other decent additions to the side than it is to sign 7-8 top quality players.

One reason being FFP, another being the chances of us attracting 7-8 boss players is unlikely.

To put it into context - Liverpool nearly won the league with a bang average GK, defence & midfield as they had Suarez & Sturridge literally putting games to bed week in week out.

For me with FFP thats the best way to try get top 4 / win a trophy - defend deep as Carlo does and have 2 boss strikers up top who can single handely win us games.

Obviously improve the midfield and defence but we aint gonna get the players good enough to go toe to toe with the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

This is where I disagree with people - you achieve things with one of the following in football:

1. A boss all round team

Or

Its much cheaper for us to go out and go an all around boss CF to partner Richarlison/ Have DCL rotating when necessary with 2-3 other additions around the side than it is to sign 7-8 top quality players.

One reason being FFP

another being the chances of us attracting 7-8 boss players is unlikely.

To put it into context - Liverpool nearly won the league with a bang average GK, defence & midfield as they had Suarez & Sturridge literally putting games to bed week in week out.

For me with FFP thats the best way to try get top 4 / win a trophy - defend deep as Carlo does and have 2 boss strikers up top who can single handely win us games.

Obviously improve the midfield and defence but we aint gonna get the players good enough to go toe to toe with the likes of Man City and Liverpool and outscore then with DCL/Kean/Tosun it just aint happening.

Our team creates no chances so we could have Ronaldo up front and we wouldn't score.

1. A boss all round team

Or

Its much cheaper overall for us to go out and get a boss CF slotter to partner Richarlison/ Have DCL rotating when necessary along with 2-3 other decent additions to the side than it is to sign 7-8 top quality players.

One reason being FFP, another being the chances of us attracting 7-8 boss players is unlikely.

Obviously improve the midfield and defence but we aint gonna get the players good enough to go toe to toe with the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.
The team you like to cite as the example of winning things with just world class strikers didn't win anything

Our team creates no chances so we could have Ronaldo up front and we wouldn't score.

Neither did Rodgers Liverpool - you can easily play long balls the best forwards in the world thrive of them look at the current Liverpool forwards - you dont need KDB doing crisp passes into feet to be successful.

The other problem of course being that you only have one example of it working.

Leicester- all the hipsters go on like Kante won them the title when it was Drinkwater doing hollywood balls often to Vardy & Mahrez who were on fire.

If you think having 2 top class goalscorers is a BAD thing then you optimise the Americanisation of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.