2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davies isn't going anywhere anytime soon, he will benched I'm sure and will watch from there, come on in the second half for tired legs. Hopefully he will learn from watching whoever it is we buy and grow from there. He's not great, has struggled to give us decent performance. I don't think he's got it, I believe he will end up in the championship.

Davies isn't going anywhere anytime soon, he will benched I'm sure and will watch from there, come on in the second half for tired legs. Hopefully he will learn from watching whoever it is we buy and grow from there. He's not great, has struggled to give us decent performance. I don't think he's got it, I believe he will end up in the championship.
I agree with this, sadly. Wanted him to be great but it isn’t happening.
He’s one we could sell and get a reasonable fee for. Others will still view him as having potential.
We need to avoid being sentimental and take the money while we can.

*shrug

He's played nearly 100 league games and you'd struggle to name 10 he was semi-decent in (by consensus) and he proved it live against the worst team in the league.

You're right, easy to leave it there.

Davies at 21yrs of age still has a lot to offer he is still improving & will get better no doubt...

To write him off now is foolish & premature, Ancelotti will improve him, his passing & forward play do need attention, but there is a player there...

You may shrug your shoulders but be patient & we will see, DCL & Holgate have turned the corner & so will Davies with a bit of nurturing...

It just isn't going to happen for Tom here and i don't know why we keep insisting on dragging it out tbh. It's nearly 100 games now over 4 years and that is a decent run in anyone's book and we have seen little to no improvement from him and he still seems to struggle with the basics that should be bread and butter for any pro midfielder regardless of age. Just on the age thing, well 22 is not young in terms of football, Ansu Fati has played games for Barca this season aged 16, that's 6 years younger than Davies playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, THAT is a young player.
Another major issue with him is that for a midfielder he still does'nt seem to have mastered even the basics of playing in the role, he is not particularly quick, not a great passer, does'nt dribble the ball, does'nt score goals, is not a great tackler or of much a defensive mind, his positioning is not great either. Now a lot of people go on and on about the changes in manager but tbh that is BS. If Tom wanted to improve as a player he could quite easily do what the top players do and stay late in training for an extra hour practicing on his own, that is the reason they are top players, who knows maybe he does this, but it's clearly not working if he does.
I think some need to also bare in mind that Tom himself has said in a previous interview that he wants to play as an attacking midfielder. Well i just don't see that tbh, he just does'nt have that skillset also we don't play in that way and given how many people want rid of Iwobi for the same reason why keep Davies, Iwobi can at least do a bit of a job out wide which makes him more useful than Davies. Football is a fairly short career and it can also be even shorter if injuries occur which for me is why we need to loan him out for a year to see what he does somewhere else and actually starts to finally improve his game or sell him. He is getting an easy ride here at the moment because he is a local lad, i doubt very much if any of the other top half teams would come in for him imo. I think if it was'nt for the Gbamin mess he would be out on loan or sold.

I think people are in denial with him. A young player has to excel at something to be considered a prospect. Look at Richarlison, Greenwood, Elliott, Maddison and Grealish when they were his age (Greenwood is younger I know). They all excelled at some aspect of football and put in consistent improvement season on season.
Im sorry but he’s showing none of this and is never reaching those heights, he will be a squad player at best and there’s no shame in that.

I will invite a comparison with a player we all know well: Leon Osman. I’m not going to be drawn into an argument with the people who think Osman was a top class midfielder because he wasn’t, he was never an athlete and he wasn’t strong or even remotely good at defending but he was technically proficient, could sometimes jiggle past a man and could hit a shot or a nice pass at the end of his move. He wasn’t special and should probably have been more of a squad player but he had things he could excel at in his locker.

Davies has none of this, and he likely won’t even reach the modest heights of Leon Osman and for a club that’s where we are we should be replacing him as soon as possible.

I think people are in denial with him. A young player has to excel at something to be considered a prospect. Look at Richarlison, Greenwood, Elliott, Maddison and Grealish when they were his age (Greenwood is younger I know). They all excelled at some aspect of football and put in consistent improvement season on season.
Im sorry but he’s showing none of this and is never reaching those heights, he will be a squad player at best and there’s no shame in that.

I will invite a comparison with a player we all know well: Leon Osman. I’m not going to be drawn into an argument with the people who think Osman was a top class midfielder because he wasn’t, he was never an athlete and he wasn’t strong or even remotely good at defending but he was technically proficient, could sometimes jiggle past a man and could hit a shot or a nice pass at the end of his move. He wasn’t special and should probably have been more of a squad player but he had things he could excel at in his locker.

Davies has none of this, and he likely won’t even reach the modest heights of Leon Osman and for a club that’s where we are we should be replacing him as soon as possible.

It's a tough one because I want to see him do well and at times he does show some quality when he insists on pushing us up the pitch with quality passes from midfield. That doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it should though and we are left with him matching Yerry Mina and Michael Keane on 0.2 key passes per game.

Davies came on for tired legs against Newcastle, was so abjectly poor and gave up a needless foul at the end which gave them the equalizer. He's not a good footballer at all. He can't pass, he can't shoot, he's not fast, his decision making is suspect at best, he doesn't make good runs.

It's really aggravating as he seemed to be a better footballer when he came on the scene than he is now.

Players of his standard have to be weeded out of our squad if there is any ambition to compete with the mega rich clubs. Problem will be can we attract far better players than him? I hope so, otherwise we will remain a mid table hoping to get 6th or 7th.

Reactions: Ivo

Status
Not open for further replies.