New Everton Stadium Discussion

If Meis had kept quiet about it and then wished the club and the project well in the future when asked, he would have come out of this smelling of roses and with our respect and gratitude.

It's very sad and unfortunate that the relationship has to end like this in such a sulky manner.

Meis is the ultimate loser whilst the project goes on - business is tough and after a long career he should realise that by now.

All he has left is a sour aftertaste, and no doubt, personal regret.
My take on it:

It confirms my long held view that Meis was always using social media to get the gig. He's sought to get critical mass behind his design and the notion that he as an individual is essential to the seeing through of the project. It looks like he was called out on that.

However, the fact he hasn't gone silently (and, in fact, states that he will explain his side of things 'at a later date') places the club in difficulty if they and Laing O'Rourke / Pattern start cutting corners...which is a good thing, as a critical and knowledgable voice from outside can keep them honest...unless he's looking to be silenced with a big payout.

If what the echo said is right about us having offered Meis a role, but he turned It down, it would seem to come down to the level of oversight /control he would retain once Pattern had won the tender.

Possible that we’ve previously promised Meis a certain level of control throughout, and Pattern have rejected that, so we’ve offered Meis a more limited role.

It’s a shame for me, he’s not to everyone’s liking, but I think he’s immersed himself in the club, and crucially designed a fantastic looking stadium, but the club’s priority is now planning approval and the build, so they’re within their rights to make business decisions on the project as a whole and a bit of quiet dignity was called for on his part.

Thanx lads. So I’m guessing we have someone lined up better for the nxt phase you would think
They were already appointed months ago. They were working as the local office for Meis studio throughout the final stages, the consultation period and submitting the planning.

The only change is the appointed contractor has chosen to only use them for the delivery stage, cutting meis out altogether. It doesn't mean the design will radically change. (it can't, without going back to planning)

E683D818-3A51-415F-80C3-B517F51A79A9.jpeg

....Goodison was hit by bombs in WW2 and Leitch had to bid with others to undertake the repair work. it seems being the design architect doesn’t guarantee involvement.

Last edited:
It's also a really stupid statement when you consider 2 things;
1) The club has been selling out, every league game for years (despite being rubbish). That indicates quite obviously capacity is far too small.
2) When clubs move, they tend to see an uplift in support. Normally upwards of 50%. Even just cursory research shows this.

This irked me, I thought it was Meis pushing for the smaller capacity rather than the club. He shot me down when I asked him about a variable capacity. The way seats are covered in the current games shows me that you can build bigger and reduce the capacity if needed by simple methods.

This irked me, I thought it was Meis pushing for the smaller capacity rather than the club. He shot me down when I asked him about a variable capacity. The way seats are covered in the current games shows me that you can build bigger and reduce the capacity if needed by simple methods.

you can - but if you look at anything on stadium capacity is the most expensive seat to build is the last one. ie the cost difference is way more than 10% if you increase a stadium from 50000 to 55000, so it is key to get the right capacity not the biggest

I'll never forgive him for not putting a roof on Bramley Moore.

He said we could save £100 for players and we went out and bought Klaasen and Sigurdsson.

you can - but if you look at anything on stadium capacity is the most expensive seat to build is the last one. ie the cost difference is way more than 10% if you increase a stadium from 50000 to 55000, so it is key to get the right capacity not the biggest

Just my opinion but I never bought in to this theory, think Elstone and Meis come up with it. I know it's by the by now we've had this (capacity) debate over and over. The 'right' capacity is well more than 52k that's for sure. I've said all along if we had Goodison at 52k (pre lockdown) we'd still sell it out. I couldn't myself imagine 52k would be enough in brand new stadium no posts, waterfront etc and then maybe success...

Just my opinion but I never bought in to this theory, think Elstone and Meis come up with it. I know it's by the by now we've had this (capacity) debate over and over. The 'right' capacity is well more than 52k that's for sure. I've said all along if we had Goodison at 52k (pre lockdown) we'd still sell it out. I couldn't myself imagine 52k would be enough in brand new stadium no posts, waterfront etc and then maybe success...

I havent the time or the energy to reread up on this again, but there seemed to be fairly clear data on the costs and was pre BMD documents, so I dont think the push was meis related. It makes sense, if you think about adding an extra row of seats at row 70 (the top of the stadium) , there is more concrete/ steel etc around the stadium and below the seats there is at a lower point.

That's fine, and if we were building a stadium 70k+ I understand that, however most of the indicators would show a stadium of 60k would be about right (thisnis obviously pre covid).

so we’re going of his design? Well why have we moved else we’re?

Could be lots of reasons. I mean one might be Meis doesnt seem to have much experience of managing this aspect of the project, and the new firm do, so we have gone with the optimum firm.

Drawing up the concept, and then building the concept are quite different skills. It would not be unusual different architects may be better suited for different aspects of it.