2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember him just doing the basics well. He was a good foil for Arteta or Osman next to him. He covered the full backs, he could put a tackle in, and he tracked runners. Yeah he’s not the best holding midfielder we ever had but he was often at the base of midfields that could legitimately wipe the floor with poorer teams and finished top 7 regularly. Compared to what has followed that’s a league away from the likes of Schneiderlin Siggurdson Davies etc who can turn up at Goodison and get annihilated by a side at the bottom of the table.
I think people like to look at what players don't do rather than what they are contributing to a team.

True to a point but surely we all categorise players to some extent? There are players you see who you think we might struggle to keep hold of, players who you think are good players for where we are, and players you think are probably not good enough for what we're trying to do. I wouldn't be surprised if Richarlison moved on to a bigger club than us for example, but i'd be amazed if Cuco Martina did. Would you disagree then?

...I’m 63 and suffice to say clearly not good enough and some are that category, but Nobby Stiles won a World Cup winners medal because he was very effective in the make-up of that team. The great players usually play for the great teams, the good ones blend with the good ones but it takes all kinds to deliver success.

If I were to look in the vaults, would I find that you are consistent in this argument and used it regarding it, say, Vlasic and Sandro? Bear in mind that i've already done it before you answer.

Please do.

As you'll find at some point that view was changed rather quickly.

Additionally, Davies has been around 3 managers? And been part of the set up. The other two were found and sent out pretty quickly

That’s not true. I think this season has been a great audition for Tom, and it would be a huge stretch to suggest he’s passed it. Really shouldn’t be getting many games next season.

Sorry, osman joined Carlisle on loan when he was 21, up until that point he'd only played youth and reserve team football

Please do.

As you'll find at some point that view was changed rather quickly.

Additionally, Davies has been around 3 managers? And been part of the set up. The other two were found and sent out pretty quickly
So you accept that his age has got nothing to do with it and was brought up unnecessarily? That's good.

I'm not calling out Davies here, it just makes me laugh that people get really precious about player X being called out and defend them to the hilt, but have absolutely no qualms with someone else getting it in the neck, because they agree that they're rubbish so it's different.

So you accept that his age has got nothing to do with it and was brought up unnecessarily? That's good.

I'm not calling out Davies here, it just makes me laugh that people get really precious about player X being called out and defend them to the hilt, but have absolutely no qualms with someone else getting it in the neck, because they agree that they're rubbish so it's different.

Don't think was talking about his age in respect to that post. Was talking more about the arguement about his ability as a squad player at this moment and going forward.

Anything related to age was down to the comparison to Phil Foden which is more of a lofty comparison based at that age and level. If you're wanting your players at his age to be at that level, then that's an unrealistic benchmark in my book

Don't think was talking about his age in respect to that post. Was talking more about the arguement about his ability as a squad player at this moment and going forward.

Anything related to age was down to the comparison to Phil Foden which is more of a lofty comparison based at that age and level. If you're wanting your players at his age to be at that level, then that's an unrealistic benchmark in my book
No, you said that people wanting 21 year olds gone for not being good enough was ridiculous. That's why I brought up Vlasic and Sandro, because you wanted them gone at pretty much the same age, so it's nothing to do with him being 21, and everything to do with you rating him more than you rated them. That's fine, but obviously some people will disagree.

We really need a top game from him today and give Gomes more of a breather game. You could see both subbed after the hour mark if their legs are jelly.

...I’m 63 and suffice to say clearly not good enough and some are that category, but Nobby Stiles won a World Cup winners medal because he was very effective in the make-up of that team. The great players usually play for the great teams, the good ones blend with the good ones but it takes all kinds to deliver success.
Nobby's smile just did you in didn't it. Lost his front teeth and got stuck in. Last player I saw in a blue shirt like that was Lee Carsley a dying breed it seems in this twinkle toes world.

Status
Not open for further replies.