2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this.

People praising Ancelotti’s tactics (rightly so) but lambasting Iwobi was bizarre to see. He was given a task to do and completed it. He helped make Coleman’s task a lot easier by limiting the options that Mane had and not allowing an overlap - Liverpool getting into 2 on 1 positions out wide is where they create so many of their goals but Iwobi never allowed that option for them.

Also got himself in a perfect position for a cutback but unfortunately Richarlison didn’t go for it.

Shows how little some people understand the game.
It was clear from the start that Iwobi was under instructions to play deep and help close down the wide players on that side... it worked very well.

Well there is different ways to hide and he definitely hides, he’ll bluff running at players, usually left for dead, watch Bernard, he doesn’t rush in,he jockeys his opponents and makes them part with the ball, if Iwobi has any future with Everton he has to change, have a go and earn his wages.
"Watch Bernard" isn't how I'd explain the right way to be a PL wide player

We were talking about tackling, showing for the ball and working for the team, Bernard as small as he is does all of that, Iwobi has talent, he just doesn’t like the physical side of the game, watch him and see.
Bernard is not a good defensive player. Iwobi constantly puts himself into space to receive the ball. A part of his issue is supply when he has Coleman behind him. Also Bernard finds space by going wider and deeper. This isn't always a good thing.

We were talking about tackling, showing for the ball and working for the team, Bernard as small as he is does all of that, Iwobi has talent, he just doesn’t like the physical side of the game, watch him and see.
Don’t waste your time. People are rewriting history because of the quarantine break. Just look at the elitist comment at the top of the page

I was glad Carlo mentioned Iwobi and how he was important in yesterday’s game. He done a job on the right hand side that was unspectacular but vital. I am not wholly convinced by him but credit were credit is due, he sacrificed himself yesterday to fit a system.

Bernard is not a good defensive player. Iwobi constantly puts himself into space to receive the ball. A part of his issue is supply when he has Coleman behind him. Also Bernard finds space by going wider and deeper. This isn't always a good thing.
I can only beg to differ with you, if you like Iwobi that’s fair enough, I prefer real footballers like Bernard, who like Peinaar works up and down the whole line attacking and defending.

I can only beg to differ with you, if you like Iwobi that’s fair enough, I prefer real footballers like Bernard, who like Peinaar works up and down the whole line attacking and defending.
Iwobi played essentially RWB Sunday and we kept a clean sheet. I at least respect that.

That screenshot looks terrible!

In real time that space disappeared very quickly tho.

I'm not sure Richie would have picked him out, and not sure Iwobi would have finished it!

I thought in realtime the cut back was as obvious and gaping as the screenshot suggested. Very poor decision making from Richarlison in hindsight.

My split second gut reaction was that Iwobi would fluff it, like he minced it earlier on. Maybe Richarlison didn't trust him.

Iwobi was as poor as he has ever been last night. Buying him was a big mistake - I'm sure Ancelotti has realised this by now and I expect him to be on his way soon.

Defensively he did a job no question. It’s just as fans we expect more on the ball from our attacking players. Maybe Carlo didn’t, and was always happy to take the draw. Either way, the playing out of position thing is definitely a reason that maybe you can’t influence a game as you’d like. It does not excuse dreadful first touches and woeful passes.

Agree with this.

People praising Ancelotti’s tactics (rightly so) but lambasting Iwobi was bizarre to see. He was given a task to do and completed it. He helped make Coleman’s task a lot easier by limiting the options that Mane had and not allowing an overlap - Liverpool getting into 2 on 1 positions out wide is where they create so many of their goals but Iwobi never allowed that option for them.

Also got himself in a perfect position for a cutback but unfortunately Richarlison didn’t go for it.

We all know that's going row Z if Richie squares it. Richie knew too and that's why he shot.

Colman was motm by subduing Mane and he didit mostly on his own, I could never respect a player who doesn’t like the physical side of the game but if you like Owobi carry on liking him.
I felt Iwobi played a vital role. I know no one is really interested in giving him credit so don't sweat it, but I think without his discipline Seamus is given more to do aside from just stick to Mane for most of the time.

I'm not even sure it was a hard job, but he did do it.

I felt Iwobi played a vital role. I know no one is really interested in giving him credit so don't sweat it, but I think without his discipline Seamus is given more to do aside from just stick to Mane for most of the time.

I'm not even sure it was a hard job, but he did do it.
The problem is that it's the only thing he contributed which is not really good enough for a player that cost in the region of 30 million.

It's the same thing that gets thrown around with Walcott but neither are anywhere near good enough at contributing going forward and as wingers that's what they're meant to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.