2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, just perhaps... the number of goals he scores is related to the amount of midfield defending and fullback cover he is forced to do in a game. I dont see him squandering multiple chances in games(a la Walcott) but rather not being in scoring positions that often. Maybe he makes poor choices on the ball which keep him from being in scoring positions but it seems like on his best days he is everywhere - but still doesn't look like scoring. What I am trying to say is our crappy midfield might be responsible for reducing his goal tally indirectly - just a thought...

Perhaps, just perhaps... the number of goals he scores is related to the amount of midfield defending and fullback cover he is forced to do in a game. I dont see him squandering multiple chances in games(a la Walcott) but rather not being in scoring positions that often. Maybe he makes poor choices on the ball which keep him from being in scoring positions but it seems like on his best days he is everywhere - but still doesn't look like scoring. What I am trying to say is our crappy midfield might be responsible for reducing his goal tally indirectly - just a thought...
I'd say the reason at a basic level is he doesn't shoot enough. Now could that be explained by what you've said? I think it is possible for sure. I personally lean to it being more of a style of play thing for him as his two seasons here basically every other attacker we have has managed more shots per 90 minutes. But they also don't contribute deeper as frequently (aside from Richarlison who is just a phenomenal player).

This isn't meant to be a criticism btw. Buendia at Norwich for example plays a similar style and has had a good year imo. It can be done but requires consistent quality chance creation.

He is a player that looks good but doesent do a lot. He gets Infront of goal and doesent know what to do.

People get excited when he takes a player on but for me doesent do enough

I'd say the reason at a basic level is he doesn't shoot enough. Now could that be explained by what you've said? I think it is possible for sure. I personally lean to it being more of a style of play thing for him as his two seasons here basically every other attacker we have has managed more shots per 90 minutes. But they also don't contribute deeper as frequently (aside from Richarlison who is just a phenomenal player).

This isn't meant to be a criticism btw. Buendia at Norwich for example plays a similar style and has had a good year imo. It can be done but requires consistent quality chance creation.
It would be interesting to compare his time here with his goals/shots stats at previous clubs. I know some leagues are 'easier' but I wonder if anyone knows his shots to goals ratio prior to his time entertaining us?

It would be interesting to compare his time here with his goals/shots stats at previous clubs. I know some leagues are 'easier' but I wonder if anyone knows his shots to goals ratio prior to his time entertaining us?
I'm not sure if finding stats for the Ukraine league is something I'll be able to do, but I can find his European numbers when at Shakhtar and it isn't a great departure from what he is doing now. And fwiw his conversion rate is really good this year. What I worry about is not shooting more means he can't really score more unless he finishes at a truly remarkable level.

....think he’ll be a very useful player for us over the next few seasons because he offers something a little different. He can be relied upon to keep possession when we’re under the cosh, he’s busy, has the capability to occupy the opposition and create.
He gives the ball away a lot....sometimes in bad areas too

I'm not considering 'the depressed market' idea because nobody actually knows whats going to happen at the minute do they.

We paid 30 million for Pickford as an unknown kid.

Whether you rate him or not, he is now Englands number 1 and has a much higher profile than he did when we bought him.

You think selling a player for less than you bought him for when he hasnt even reached his peak yet is a good deal??
Its best to assess things in real time and once you've paid for something its not sensible to have emotional attachment to the original price.

The transfer markets in sport will obviously be affected by the big financial fall the world is already/about to experience.

Pickford is a young english keeper who has played for England. They are the positives. The negatives are that we are paying him 60k+ a week for a massively error prone keeper who is a huge weak link in the team. This season and probably last he is showing almost no signs he is good enough to contribute positively in the prem in future seasons.

I would suggest getting 20miill for him now would be tremendous value, to turn down 30mill the most foolish thing ive ever heard.

Bernard had a modest goalscoring record in a league in which most people have only heard of 2 of the teams (the Scottish Prem) spring to mind?

He steps up a couple of levels and his scoring record goes even further down shock! He cant get a regular game under several managers, isnt up to the physical demands (obvious by just looking at him) and is hopeless defensively/away from home.

All in all an absolute shocker at 125k a week and big signing on fee but because of a few cameos in home games versus crap teams who are not bothered
people `like' him.

Hes 28 in September so a miracle improvement aint happening. Get him off the wage bill.

La magica knows he’s being treated unjustly

D8723560-1969-4FE6-8237-96F753480016.jpeg

I don't expect he will but it would help out if he read the writing and started having his agent make some calls.

It isn't just me now. Ancelotti isn't a fan.

La magica knows he’s being treated unjustly

View attachment 91573

He's certainly better than Iwobi - I just wonder if Carlo is looking at things more from a FFP point of view?

Maybe he wants a certain wide player but has been told we can only sign one if we sell Bernard?

I would be shocked if he's still here come next season imo - I think Carlo rates Walcott more at RW than Bernard at LW and think we'll go more for a LW.

Everton Soares.

Status
Not open for further replies.